Inspired by: A Cultured Home

Inspired-by-a-cultured-home

A couple of rather unofficial New Year’s resolutions for myself were to read more and play the guitar more. I did really well in January, but February has been a busier work month for me, so I must confess, I’ve been  a bit of a slacker. My guitar is sitting in our living room, as a reminder for me to play it. And I’m not quite sure it’s working. Maybe if I put it on the wall? ;)

As for books, so far I’ve only read East of Eden this year. Any good recommendations? I like a good mix of character development and intriguing plot lines in a fiction book.

Inspired-by-a-cultured-homeb

images: 1 Stadshem via Interior Photos | 2 HHarpie | 3 uydurukcu | 4 Abby Tries Again

1. zelina says:

I like the guitar on the wall but I’m like you I keep it in my room to remind myself to play it a couple of times.

2. Aah – I *love* guitars on walls! :) I’ve been trying to get my hubby to hang his up, because otherwise it just sits there next to his desk, not used…it makes them so much more accessible! Do you have an acoustic?

3. Mireille says:

very inspirating post! Love it!

4. Laura says:

My old roommate hung his guitars, yukelele, and sitar on his bedroom wall and it was like a beautiful work of art, almost as good as the music he created with them!
    A book you should read is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. One of the best novels I’ve read in years.

5. Beautiful pictures! I love the guitar hanging on the wall. My book recommendation is “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein – one of my recent favorites!!

6. hi! i’m a new reader of your blog – i love it! spent my whole life growing up in north canton (HHS class of ’99!) but have been in san francisco for the last 6 years :)
    i’m a big reader, here are a few of my recent faves:
    – water for elephants
    – little bee
    – extremely loud and incredibly close
    – 1,000 splendid suns
    – bright shiny morning
    these are nonfiction/memoirs, but these are also some great reads:
    – the glass castle
    – tweak
    – the spririt catches you and you fall down
    happy reading!

7. Meghan says:

Have you heard of Dogfight: A Love Story. Amazing characters. Rad plot. Super good.

8. Martina says:

shantaram by gregory david roberts…it took me a few pages to really warm to it, but since it’s become my favourite book ever. it’s amazing! and of course, khaled husseini – either the kite runner or a thousand splendid suns (i would recommend thousand splendid suns first as kite runner was slightly better in my opinion and i think it might detract from a thousand splendid suns to compare it to kite runner…do you get me? ha. they’re both amazingly powerful books, though!

9. I think you would make a swell graphic novel girl, you know the more serious ones. Blankets, Fun Home and Persepolis all come heavily recommended from me! Visual art and literature in one – voila!
    XOXO,
    Ashley

10. brittany says:

A Secret History by Donna Tart is one of my all time favorites! Full of character development and a great little plot twist at the end!

11. kira says:

I don’t know you, but I enjoy your blog and I have to spread the word – The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. It’ll blow your mind and a ton of other cliches. :)

12. Heidi Joe says:

I always love to mention One Day by David Nicholls when people ask for book recommendations… it’s a great modern love story and it’s different from your average novel.

13. Georgina says:

I second the recommendation for The Secret History. It’s a wonderful book; so gripping.
    Maybe try some of the classics if you haven’t already, things like The Great Gatsby or Revolutionary Road.
    Not a fiction book, but if you’re into music, you should read Gig by Simon Armitage. Very witty, and interesting for a music fan.

14. Rachel says:

Thank you for this post!!!
    that first photo is fantastic. it is very me and my boyfriend has 7 (7!!!) guitars that i get to hang up someday. so this was the perfect inspiration!
    -rachel

15. abi says:

The Road is a phenomenal book!
    p.s. what font is used for the little notes you put on pictures from time to time. the handwritten looking one.. i’m in love with it.

16. Sarah says:

I just read The Vagabond, by Colette. I loved every momement of it! It was interesting because it was written around and about the turn of the century in France, but I felt that it could have been written by someone living today. Beautiful story.

17. cBules says:

That light fixture looks like a Bertoia sculpture called “Hemisphere.” I love it!!

18. lijo george says: