The Dollhouse Kitchen and Dining Room

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen

Each time I complete a room in the dollhouse, it becomes a new favorite. The kitchen certainly isn’t an exception! I’ve changed details in this room many times, and am finally calling it finished and done. For a while, the vent hood was copper, the light fixture was different, the cuckoo clock was dark wood, and the window was without dressing. But all of those details have changed, and I think this is finally ready for its close-up.

For those of you following along on Snapchat (my name is mandimakes there), you’ll know that I handed off the dollhouse to Lucy on Christmas Eve morning. While I consider it to be finished, I’ll be changing and adding these here and there, just like in a real home. I have more plans for the bedrooms, but instead of waiting for them to be done, I think I’ll share the dollhouse in its entirety next week, and then share changes as they happen. For now— I’m really excited about the kitchen!

Check out the entire dollhouse project by clicking here. See my resources at the end of this post.

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen

Prepping this space felt like it took forever— assembling the kit, scribing the floors, staining the floors, filing the window openings, painting the walls, adding the windows and trim, and in this particular space, blocking out a window and installing a tile wall to block out the light from the window hole. To block out the window, I used a sheet of foam board covered in a tile sheet.  I’ll show you what it looks like from the outside next week when I show the entire house, but in the meantime you can see it on Instagram here

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen

Making some of the furnishings and fixtures is really gratifying. In this space, I purchased the cabinets, chairs, and tiny little accessories (like dishes and cups), but I made quite a few things as well. I wish I had time to carefully photograph and document each item I make, but it just was too overwhelming, and as I mentioned before, I’m seriously considering making a book about DIY modern dollhouse furniture. That’s a big goal of mine for 2016!

So what did I make exactly? The light fixture(beads and ping pong ball), the window shade, the wall sconce, the runner (twine and duct tape), the table (wood discs and dowels glued, sanded, and painted), the art (designed by Tracy Jenkins available full-size here), the hood vent, the plants, and the shelves. Check the end of this post for the things that I purchased.

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen Calico Critters

Lucy just loves her dollhouse, and I feel so gratified that it will be the framework for many of her childhood memories. We have fun playing with it together— her favorite part being the front door. She moves all of the furniture through the front door after a little animal rings the doorbell and announces they have a package for me. Of course, the house becomes quite chaotic after a while of her playing, and you’re probably wondering how I handle that! The answer is, with dignity and grace, OF COURSE…. until Lucy goes to bed, and then most evenings I rearrange things and Snapchat me playing with everything! Ha!

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen Calico Critters

I think Mama Kitty needs to wear a slip under her dress, what do you think? Oops!

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen Calico Critters

I used the lid from a tacky glue bottle plus a tiny piece of a bamboo skewer to make a sconce for beside the kitchen window. I plan to do something similar in the master bedroom.

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen Calico Critters

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen

Modern Dollhouse Miniature KitchenModern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen Calico Critters

R E S O U R C E S :

cowhide rug
coffee cup
cabinets (I painted mine)
china dishes
coffee cups
hanging utensils
copper pots and pans
milk jugs
step stool (set of two)
tile sheet
donuts from Hobby Lobby
broom
cuckoo clock
Calico Critters cat family
wallpaper in stairwell is scrapbook paper from Michaels

The following items are vintage:

chairs from The Toy Box
yellow enamel coffee set

Modern Dollhouse Miniature Kitchen Calico Critters

1. This project has been a huge favorite of mine. My youngest is 7 1/2 but I really wish I could still make her something like this. It’s so sweet… you’ve really created something special. I love it.

2. Haley says:

i just adore this. What a fun opportunity to decorate a home…just so. My husband is into tiny model railroading and this is the hip girl version. :) I may need to get into the hobby, and I would totally buy your book!

3. You are the dollhouse-queen! This is SO perfect, absolutely beautiful!

4. Oh my goodness! Every time you post these things I go Ooooh and Ahhh!!! I think I have little girl envy. My dad still has the dollhouse he was going to build me at 2 years old that he never finished (he barely started) sitting in his garage. 30 years later he should just chuck it. I’ll just pretend it is built by looking at your photos. haha.

• Stitchwiz says:

That dollhouse is just waiting for someone to love it again! Perhaps this is a project that you could do together. Schedule a regular time with your Dad to work on it – or if he can’t, do it yourself!

This means you will have to start planning the decor. You could paint many of the walls before it is assembled and then just touch up when you are finished.

Just think of all the fun you can have! If you don’t have someone special who would love to have it, donate it to a fundraiser, or give it to church, hospital or a library for their children’s play area. Somewhere there is a home with children just waiting for your dollhouse.

I envy you having a Dad who was willing to try a dollhouse – my Dad and my Hubby are large men with huge hands. They don’t have the manual dexterity to tackle something like as delicate as a doll house – they have tried with other smaller projects and were both willing to attempt a dollhouse for my daughter, but I could see that it would be a very frustrating project.

Good Luck!

5. Katie says:

Simply stunning!!! I am gobsmacked! xx

6. Ashley H says:

Making a dollhouse in 2016 just became official after seeing this. PLEASE write that book! I would love something like that!

7. Oh my goodness that is just SO cute!!! I would love to read that book if you ever write it!

Love,
    Julie | http://www.xfallenmoon.com/

8. Laura says:

i am and have been loving seeing you create this dollhouse:-) it’s so pretty and i want to live in it! xx

9. Jessica says:

I have always loved your blog, but after a busy few months I’m just catching up on all my favorites. Just found your dollhouse series, and I must say you are VERY talented! Seriously, everything you make is done brilliantly. Beautiful dollhouse. I’m impressed, and I would love to see a book. Keep inspiring!

10. Kim says:

I thought I loved this before I realized it’s for a Tabby Cat family! So cute. ?

11. Kannfish says:

This is the greatest mom DIY I’ve seen. Your work is so detailed and so polished. I loved the updates on Instagram.
    Your daughters are very lucky.

12. I have never seen something that cute in all my life. I am completely in love with your dollhouse!!! Every detail reveal the hard work. Keel going!!

13. Kristen says:

I am in LOVE with this!!! Thanks for such a great blog!

14. Amanda says:

Mandi! Just discovered your blog, and it is the most adorable thing every. Looking forward to reading along in the future. :)

15. Sarah Keller says:

AMAZING! I was just about to link to this post from my blog (just to share it with friends, because it’s so impressive). Do you mind if I include a photo of it in the post? Would LOVE to, but definitely don’t want to violate any of your preferences. Please let me know! Thanks a bunch.

16. Shweta says:

WOooW..!

It’s looking so so cute. Never thought that one can also use this type of tiny kitchen dining space in this way. Something that never seen before.

17. Sarah says:

Can you please share the paint color you used on the kitchen cabinets? I love it and am creating one of my own!

18. Blythe says:

This is INCREDS! Can you post an update with where you are now? I’d love to see the finished bathroom and bedroom! Also, did you make the vent over the stove in the kitchen?

I never got around to completely finishing what I wanted to do in the bedrooms, because Christmas came and I handed off the dollhouse to my daughter. Until she’s older I doubt I’ll work on this house again, but I definitely want to do a smaller scale house just for me in the near future! The bathroom looks the same as it did in the post I did about it, except I added a circular plush rug and a piece of crochet lace over the window to look like macrame. I’m glad you enjoyed taking a peek at my project! :) -Mandi

19. Chloe says:

Mandi, I know I’m a year late on this, but this is amazing. You should absolutely look into writing a book- having two little girls and a background in interior design, not to mention killer style, I can’t imagine anyone with better credentials. Or heck, just stage a bunch of cute photos like this to illustrate a simple storyline and you could have a children’s book on your hands. At any rate, I love this. I feel so geeky being a twenty-something who secretly can’t wait to have kids just so I can do this kind of stuff, but you make it look cool. :)