WHAT I WORE: The Thirty Year Gap

What I Wore: The 30 Year Age Gap

No age gap- no matter how big- is too big of an age gap in my book. And no, silly, I’m not talking about dating older men! I’m talking about assembling a wardrobe. So many times people like to label themselves by what style of clothing they enjoy wearing. Preppy clothes, grungy clothes, ’90s clothes, or bohemian clothes. And I used to fret about where my style fit in all of these descriptors, because I like all of the clothes. I would wonder, hmmm… Am I more of a ’60s gal? Then how do you explain my love for ’40s fashion and ’70s collars?

But then I slowly realized, the fun of vintage fashion isn’t just about mimicking a certain style or decade, but for me it’s about the modern mix of it all. Here I am wearing a ’40s corduroy dress (at least, I think…) along with a ’70s plus size blouse and modern booties. It all makes sense to me, because I like it. So I think I’m done with those silly labels. Unless, of course, they’re those pretty labels that you find on vintage clothes. That’s a whole different matter!

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

dress: vintage / shoes: Franco Sarto / blouse: thrifted / lipstick: Tarte / tights: Hue

What I Wore: The 30 Year Age Gap

What I Wore: The 30 Year Age Gap

What I Wore: The 30 Year Age Gap

What I Wore: The 30 Year Age Gap

1. Emily Baker says:

I am totally the same way as you :) glad i’m not alone!

2. Miche says:

I love that you mixed things from different decades, you’re totally right, who says we have to fit in one category or the other? Love this.
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

3. Faye says:

I love this, I completely agree! Just because you wear vintage doesn’t mean you have to look like you’re starring in a period movie. Fashion should be fun!

4. Stacia says:

I love mixing eras! That way the outfit can reflect everything wonderful about YOU not everything wonderful about a time period.

5. patty says:

That is a great outfit! I totally agree with your mindset. What does it matter?? Wear what works & looks amazing on YOU! Its called Mandi era!!

6. Cheryl says:

I wholeheartedly agree!

7. I love this post! My wardrobe and style is definitely all over the place too. I gave up trying to define it a long time ago…

8. marie says:

Love the color of the dress and the beauty of the black and white picture! I love what I love, gaps and all.

9. Merci says:

And THIS is why I keep coming back to your blog, Mandi!!! You are so genuine, real and uniquely you and I love it :) Thanks for inspiring me!!

10. Hi! I’m at work browsing ypur blog from my new apple iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward
    to all your posts! Keep up the excellent work!