Vintage Shopping Mistakes to Avoid

Vintage shopping mistakes to avoid

If I’ve ever gone missing, you might want to wait to alert the authorities. First, check out Sweet Lorain in Lakewood, Ohio. I might be there, buried under a pile of fancy hats or lost amongst the racks and racks of vintage clothing! Recently my dear friend Allie and I made a trip there and walked away with a few treasures. I sported the lovely chartreuse crop top I found there recently in an outfit post here on my blog, but was disappointed when I returned home and discovered the dress I had purchased was discolored in some areas. I though, gee whiz, I’m too experienced to be making rookie mistakes like this! Then I thought… you know, I really have earned a lot of vintage shopping street cred through the years- why not share some advice?

So, head on over to Babble where I posted 10 Vintage Shopping Mistakes to Avoid. Basically the best advice I’ve ever given the universe. You’re welcome!

If you’re traveling through Northeast Ohio, or maybe you’re from here and don’t know a lot about the vintage scene, you’ll definitely want to stop in at Sweet Lorain! It’s on Lorain (surprise, surprise!) west of downtown Cleveland, across the bridge. On Saturdays, the Westside Market is a great place to stop in to pick up produce, flowers, and a delicious meal (especially yummy crepes with all kinds of fillings!). After breakfast as the Westside Market, I love shopping the area vintage shops, like Sweet Lorain, which is right down the road.

The inventory at Sweet Lorain is vast and can be overwhelming. So be sure to plan lots of time to spend browsing! Even Phil enjoyed looking around, even though he’s not into ladies’ clothing. Thank Jesus. But he did like all the fun magazines and knick knacks they have in abundance. Prices at Sweet Lorain are moderate for standard vintage shops, but a little high for Northeast Ohio standards. Their prices to vary quite a bit, so sometimes you might be surprised at a high or low cost for the item you’re interested in. You just never know! If you’re looking for more affordable vintage, I’d check out the Falls River Square district in Cuyahoga Falls or Chelsea’s Vintage and Costume shop in Lakewood also. Another place to visit in Lakewood is Flower Child, whose prices and inventory are comparable with Sweet Lorain. Check out my Flower Child visit here!

Vintage shopping mistakes to avoidVintage shopping mistakes to avoidVintage shopping mistakes to avoidVintage shopping mistakes to avoidVintage shopping mistakes to avoidVintage shopping mistakes to avoid

1. I miss the Midwest for awesome shops like this. It’s so picked over out here.

2. giedre says:

Oh. my. gosh. Those red sequined panties? HILARIOUS!
    xox
    giedre

3. Natasha says:

I love the floral ties :)

4. Rachel says:

I want to go for the art, though I bet I’d stay for the jangle.

5. Sasha says:

I just moved to Lakewood (from Chicago) a month ago and have been so impressed with the antique stores (and the prices) in the area. I just might be heading over to check out Sweet Lorain tomorrow or Sunday now! I am so excited! We just went to Flower Child a week ago and I was amazed by that place, too!
    Thank you!

6. Callie says:

I love Sweet Lorain! It’s just down the street from my house and is along a section of Lorain that is full of antique stores (mostly furniture and decor, more so than clothing), so it’s definitely worth checking out the whole block (from about W. 70th to W. 85th) if you’re in that neck of the words.

It’s worth noting that Sweet Lorain is in Cleveland, not Lakewood. Actually, both Chelsea’s and Flower Child are also in Cleveland (though they are each within about 2 blocks of the Lakewood border).

Thanks for letting me know! I’ve always heard everyone say they’re in Lakewood, so always just went with that, since I didn’t know where the dividing line was. :)

7. Ashley Ann says:

The article doesn’t load completely for me. Bummer!

I think Babble had some website issues recently, because their whole site was loading improperly. I’d give it another look if you have time and think about it. :)

8. JennyOH says:

Your article was full of great advice! I have been thrifting and vintage hunting for years and have definitely fallen into some of these traps myself…I think aspirational-smaller-size buying is the worst!

I was glad to see your advice not to overlook online shops with lower-quality photos. I have one of those Etsy shops with ok-but-not-great photos of my vintage clothing. But since I don’t have the overhead of a nice dress form, fancy camera, lighting setup, studio space, not to mention the time to set it all up, oh, and training in photography…. I can charge a lot less! I am always in awe of Etsy shops with glorious photography, but have found some lovely clothes at less-fancy shops too :D

9. I love that first picture of you. What a great outfit!

10. tam francis says:

Oh my! I want to go shopping here. I cannot get enough vintage, even wrote a vintage fictional novel. girlinthejtterbugdress.com. I already saw shoes I would by. I’m trying to think of how to get to Ohio! WOW! Lovely store, lovely blog! Thanks for the inspiration!

11. Laura says:

These photos are so gorgeous. I am still training my eyes to capture every day life as beautifully as you do.

12. Conney says:

Aw there are so many gorgeous things and the photos are gorgeous too!

I’d love to go vintage shopping but I don’t know any places like that here in Germany :(
    The only vintage store I’ve visited here was veery expensive and didn’t even have nice clothes!

13. Melanie says:

oh my goody! I wish we had places like that here in New Zealand!

14. Oh how fun to dive though all those goodies (and no way on the red sequinned panties, nope)!

15. Jessie says:

I NEED those red sequin hot pants/panties.