Stepping up Our Gallery Game

modern art for the home

Coming home after a trip to the art museum is always a bit of a let-down. There are no Rothko originals hanging on my walls, and the shabby thrifted artwork I’ve been living with for years suddenly seems extra sad. I can’t stop dreaming about new artwork for our walls, and I know it would make our home-in-progress look much more polished.

New art is on our to-buy list right after a new sofa and new chair reupholstery, so it won’t be happening any time soon. But I plan on being ready to make that purchase as soon as we’re ready! Right now, I’m just enjoying looking around and window shopping. Here are a few of my favorites. Too bad they don’t have layaway, huh?

Megan Donnelly Water View Karen Smidth Evening Light wayne pate Love Saves the Day wayne pate rising of the setting sun CD Ryan Sunny Ellen Levine Dodd Dawn Jenny Prinn Migrations 2 Karen Smidth Desert Stones 3 Sarah Irvin Age Karen Smidth Danish Summer III
modern art for the homemodern art for the homemodern art for the homemodern art for the home

1. rachel says:

I love 3 and 10. Both so beautiful and so out of my price range.

2. Diane says:

Just a thought– have any artsy friends? Friends with artsy kids? Have a local art group or even park district art classes? These artists usually have things for sale on the cheap. It’s original work too!

That’s a good idea! I’m super picky about my art, but I haven’t been to any local galleries in a while! I should check them out again soon. :)

3. if you wish to have something like that in cheaper version – you can always commission me! have a looksee at my facebook page – facebook.com/katrinasophia.art maybe it is something you like

4. Stephanie Wheeler says:

I think your collection is lovely! A trip to my MIL and FIL’s house makes me a little sad, they have a ton of (expensive) amazing art that he’s traded over the years.

Thanks, doll! Yeah, I think part of it is just that nice art is something that you collect over a long period of time. I guess we’re ready to start collecting nice pieces. But gosh darn it, we’ll be dead before we have a nice collection! Haha! Oh well- you can’t take it with you!

5. Carrie Ann says:

Some artists do take payments. Are you familiar with Emma Overman? I have several pieces of hers thanks to her working with me on them.

Man, I’ve never heard of that! My husband and I try not to do anything in payments, though, because it just adds to our monthly budget. So, instead, we’re trying to save up for everything we want first. It’s easier to make sure it’s a decision we definitely need/want, since we’ve worked hard for it, but the waiting is SO HARD! :)

6. Fashion Snag says:

Love this collection!

7. Oh do I understand your lament! The woes of responsible adulthood, how I wish we weren’t saving for new couches because our walls are looking kinda bland without some art.