FOOD FILES | Sweet Potato Holiday Slaw

When I was in high school, my mom scheduled my wisdom teeth to be removed. The day before Thanksgiving. I was so bummed to miss out on the feast that everyone else was enjoying! But this year I would rather have big holes in my mouth than to deal with all of the dietary restrictions Lucy’s doctor has me on. (If you follow me on Twitter you may have seen this tweet, and since then I found that peppers are also on my restrictions list.) Since I’m heading to a family potlock style gathering, there’s bound to be gluten, dairy, paprika, potatoes, and lots of other foods I’d love to be eaten but have to go without. So what’s a girl to do? Well, I’ll be towing along a few dishes I know that I can enjoy, and Lucy can too!

I found this holiday slaw recipe a few years ago from a raw/vegan book, and was delighted to find that my vegan-weary family members enjoyed it as much as I did! If you have dietary restrictions this holiday season, or if you just want to add a healthy treat to your holiday gathering, you simply must try this recipe!

• 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
  • 1 pineapple
  • 2 medium sized apples of your choice
  • 1 cup of chopped dates
  • 1 cup of chopped walnuts
  • 3 tablespoons of honey
  • Lemon juice
  • (optional) ground cinnamon
  • (optional) 1/2 cup of veganaise or mayonaise

After cleaning the sweet potatoes, grate them (skins on) and set aside in a large mixing bowl with chopped dates and walnuts. Clean and chop the apples (skins on) and toss in slightly diluted lemon juice. Drain apples and add to the mixing bowl. Chop the pineapple into small pieces, reserving half for the next step (or 1/3 if you plan on using veganaise or mayonaise in your slaw), and add to the mixing bowl. Add the reserved pineapple with honey, veganaise (I had to omit this and mayo because of my dietary restrictions) and cinnamon (if you choose) to a food processor or blender and mix into a puree. Add the puree to the rest of the ingredients in your mixing bowl, and stir to combine.

If you are planning on making this ahead of time, then I suggest reserving your walnuts until right before serving. They keep reasonably well, but if you want maximum crunchiness (which, you do!), then you may wish to wait to mix them in.

1. Liz says:

I’m sorry to hear about your struggles! My son has a casein (cow’s milk protein) allergy and we found out about it when he was a nursing newborn, and the same method- elimination diet for me. He’s almost 3 now and we still avoid all traces of cows milk in his diet, although he can handle sheeps and goats milk in foods. It isn’t always easy…we gave established a really awesome routine at home and have gotten used to buying/avoiding certain things, and always bring quick snacks he can have wherever we go. Some folks aren’t too knowledable about these allergies. I found the elimination diet for myself while nursing even more difficult but it’s worth it! Hang in there, mama! You’re doing a beautiful thing for your little lady!

2. candace says:

This sounds really strange and super good! Gonna try it, thanks! I’m making quite a few weird recipes this year to mix it up for a change, like Butternut Squash & Apple Soup and pumpkin pie wontons, mmm.

Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes is ROUGH. Here’s what you can do though – cook and mash cauliflower like you would potatoes…it’s a great substitute :)

Good luck lady!

I promise it’s delicious! I wouldn’t share a recipe that isn’t delicious. While I try to be healthy, I really don’t normally enjoy food that is super healthy. But this is such a TREAT! The combo of flavors and sweet additions really make the dish, in my opinion. :)

Oh, also… I’ve made mashed cauliflower only once before. Have you done it? I’m kind of worried about doing something like that since I can’t do any dairy, and I would love to add cream and butter, since that’s what really makes mashed potatoes so delish. Hopefully they will let me eat potatoes again in time for Christmas!

• candace says:

Oh my gosh, YUM! Just finished making this and I totally love it! Added the cinnamon and vegenaise, and it is a dream. Really excited to share it with everyone tomorrow :) Thanks so much for the unique recipe.

I have done the mashed cauliflower, and I find that (like with potatoes) if you reserve the water you boiled them in and mix some of that in in place of cream, it actually makes them super creamy! Then add some olive oil, salt & pepper, and garlic if you like, and you’re set! I think it’s pretty darn good. You could also try adding in some So Delicious Coconut Creamer – no soy or anything in it, and the coconut flavor is so vague you won’t really notice it. I’ve used that in mashed potatoes before with good results.

Here’s hoping they figure out those allergies soon, and that it has nothing to do with potatoes!

3. Meredith says:

this recipe looks delicious. and I’m really coveting your milk glass plates!!!