DIY | Make Your Own Hanging Laundry Hamper

Were you wondering where we hid the hamper in our little girl’s nursery? Well, wonder no more! (Or perhaps I’m being presumptuous, and you weren’t wondering at all… in which case, feel free to read on anyways!) I sort of ran out of floor space in the nursery, so when I found this idea for a hanging hamper on Martha Stewart’s website, and when I realized I had all of the supplies I needed on hand, it took me about five minutes (or less?) to whip up this handy hamper to hang inside baby girl’s closet.

The laundry bag on Martha Stewart’s website was an actual laundry bag, held open by a large embroidery hoop. I didn’t have a laundry bag, and figured a standard pillow case would do the trick (and mighty prettily, I might add!) along with a smaller embroidery hoop (just because that’s what I had on hand).

First I assembled the hanging hamper by sandwiching the ends of the pillowcase in between the embroidery hoop parts. Then I looped some twine around the hoop’s screw mount, and knotted it securely. I decided to hang the hook on the lower half of the door, instead of in the middle of the door, so that I can still use a hook above it to hang clean garments, and so that our little girl can easily access the hamper when she’s old enough to put away her own dirty clothes. The last step was simply to hang the hamper by the twine, and then fill it with dirty clothes! Easy, cheap, and useful. Now that’s a DIY I can really enjoy.

1. Very cute idea. My girls would love this.

2. Claire says:

The tissue is really beautiful and I love the idea of ??letting it go beyond on top, it’s perfect.
    I wait to see the tutorial on the pom pom garland !

3. Abigail says:

this is fantastic!

4. Emily McGuire says:

I love the peek into her closet- She is going to be one well dressed little lady!

5. I do this in my daughter’s room, and I’ll do it for my son once he’s potty trained (this hamper idea doesn’t work so well with cloth diapers, for obvious reasons). Your version is super cute!

6. OH MY GOODNESS!!! My mom and I are just about to start making one of these for my sweet little boy’s room, Paysen!
    I think its just the greatest thing in the world for dirty baby cloths!

7. hillary says:

SO cute! What a great idea!

8. Monique says:

this is such a great idea even for a person without kids. our laundry bag is such an eye sore, but a pretty one hanging on the inside of the closet door. that works.

9. Tonya says:

Absolutely ADORABLE idea. Now anytime I see one of those rings I will thinks of this.

10. emily says:

Ah! I was just lamenting today over super lame & cheesy laundry hampers for kiddos. So stoked on this!

11. Lindsey LG says:

I LOVE this idea. I just did it yesterday. It’s perfect for hanging up in my little dorm room. And I was proud to have spent only $4.02 on this creation! Thank you :)

Blessings,
    Lindsey

12. Sarah says:

Congrats on your new baby girl! All that hair….so so sweet! So happy for you mamma!

13. Kate says:

LOVE THIS!! way better than the hideous hamper I have in my room now that I try to hide.

14. JoAnne Heim says:

I was just wondering if a larger hoop could be used.

As long as the hoop you are using isn’t wider than the diameter of your pillow case or laundry bag opening, I don’t see why not! Just make sure your hook is sturdy enough to hold the weight of the laundry if you use a larger bag.

15. Jennifer says:

What a great idea. I love that you opted to use the pillow case for the laundry bag. You can really customize it and/or change it to match the decor of the room.

16. Sue says:

I’ve been mulling over how to make a peg bag – this will be brilliant on a smaller scale! Thankyou!

17. Kaitlyn says:

My husband and my apartment is so small that we don’t have room for an actual hamper. This is the perfect solution! Thank you!

18. Kara says:

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems the weight of the clothes will pull apart the hoop? I have two boys and they’re always soaking wet or dirty so maybe that’s it, but it seems it may not be strong enough to hold the weight of the clothing.

It works great when we have two hanging in our baby girl’s closet. We never put wet clothes in the laundry because of mildewing, so it holds the weight just fine. pillowcases aren’t big enough to hold a large load, so when each pillowcase becomes full, we do a small load in the washing machine. Weight is more of a concern for the hook you hang and how that hook is anchored than a concern for the hoop.

Oh, also just thought I should mention I have two of these hanging up- one for lights, and one for darks.

19. Kim says:

Rip out the bottom seam and tie a pretty bow on the bottom. Place a basket underneath and untie the bow and let the dirty clothes fall into the basket.

20. Nicole says:

I use a laundry bag right now which i like to wash with the dirty clothes…..if i were to do this is it possible to wash with the clothing?

21. Laurel says:

Nifty idea!! I just tossed sons pop-up hamper in the trash because it got so holey, added an embroidery hoop to shopping list!

22. You need to take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web.
    I will recommend this site!

23. Alice says:

Adorable! Could also be used to house all those plastic grocery bags! Put one on the inside of every door!

24. hello, Iwould to buy one of this beautiful embroidery hoop hamper… could I buy it somewhere?
    thank you!

Hi, if you read the post you will see that this is actually not featuring a product, but simply an outline for making your own using basic supplies you can buy at the store.

25. Paty says:

Curious to know where you got the pillow cases. So pretty. Thanks.

26. Renae says:

Love this idea!! This is such a great idea for saving valuable floor space. …and super cute I might add! I think yours looks better than the MS version ;)

27. Kristina says:

Wonderful idea. I’m a first time mom and I was needing hampers so I decided to try a little DIY project. I was lucky to have come across this. I did modify it slightly. I used screwless hooks instead and it saved time and holes in my door :) Thanks for posting this!

28. Melanie says:

We live in a small apartment, and our bathroom is horribly tiny, so any clothes on the floor make it hard to even open the door. This is a great dea to hand on the inside of the bathroom door!

29. Elyse Ashley says:

oh my goodness! This is absolutely perfect! I have been looking for many years for and inexpensive way to solve the, ‘clothes all over my floor’ issue. Traditional hampers have always been, too big, too ugly, and too expensive, but this is perfect! Thank you!

30. J Mendez says:

Kim, I LOVE your suggested ribbon adjustment! Due to my back, I don’t lift laundry, bags, bins OR baskets (I even use a “grabber/reaching tool if I drop a piece o/laundry on the floor). So we currently use a 3-in-1 pre-sorting/hanging hamper set (it’s in a nice hanging frame mounted onto wheels) so I can get the laundry to the washer from our room (opposite side o/the house, o/course). The dog’s laundry is kept & washed separate from ours (we wear enough o/their hair as it is), but there’s not been a good way to hamper their stuff. We’ve been using a pop-up hamper but unless we keep it on top o/their kennel, then I put a board/rack over our wheeled hamper set & try not to hurt myself by tugging it onto the top, my hubby has to deal w/it it for me. But w/this hanging hamper & using your quick-release ribbon idea, we could hang it on the wall by the dogs’ kennel, then I could roll our hamper “thing” (w/a shallow basket on top) underneath, open the bottom o/the bag & viola! No tugging or lifting! Woo hoo!!

31. cathy says:

Im going to make a smaller version with a smaller hoop and altered pillowcase to use for plastic grocery bags. The ones in the stores are way too small for our family.

32. Taylor says:

wowwmee!
    ww such an amazzinggggggg idea if you have any more tell

33. Not stronger, fix suggestion says:

This is a good idea if you empty your bag very frequently or use two pillow cases. However. If you prefer to use just one and wNt to cram it full before doing a wash then here’s an idea for you. You’ll need: laundry bag with draw string, 12-14 inch embroidery or quilt hoop, over the door metal hanger. Attach the hoops to the bag ensuring the draw string is not wrapped up with hoop, knot the string to stop it from pulling up so it won’t put weight on the hoop. Hang the over the door hanger and hang the new hamper by the draw string. Estimated cost is about $13. B