DIY | Paper Mache Hand Hooks

I’ve always admired those quirky modern wall hooks with a Tim Burtonesque whimsy to them. Are those hands sticking out of the wall fun, or just creepy? I think fun. When I found these paper mache hands at the craft store, I knew immediately what I had to do. Turn them into wall hooks for hats and scarves, of course!

These paper mache hands were found at the craft store with supplies that are meant for jewelry designers to decoupage and use to display their creations. They’re not as sturdy as platser would be, but for light-weight items, they do just fine!

This is such a cheap and easy project, I can’t believe I didn’t try it sooner! You will need:

• paper mache hand displays, in the style of your choice (I found mine for $2 each!)
  • spray primer in a tone similar to your finish color
  • spray paint in a matte or gloss finish (Matte might be better for the texture of the hands.)
  • sticky-back mounting strips. (Velcro ones don’t work well for this project.)

1.) First, put your paper mache hands onto some disposable paper (or foam board, for a sturdy platform) and prime them in a well-ventilated area. Two coats ought to do it. 2.) After the primer has dried, it’s time to add the color of your choice! This took me about four light coats of paint to completely cover the primer. Don’t spray it on too thick, or it will drip. 3.) Trim the edges of your mounting strips to the shape of your hand mounts, and then mount to the wall! Wait the specified amount of time (noted on your adhesive strip packaging), and then hang the items of your choice! Just make sure the weight of what you hang doesn’t exceed the recommended weight of your adhesive strips, or you might be startled to find a pair of hands laying on your floor!

1. Flower Child says:

ahh those hands look sooooo cool!

2. Tish says:

Ooh! This makes me want to do this with the nice black jewelry holding hands. I’d need to really screw them into the wall, though as they’re more substantial than paper maché.
    These stumpy, rough paper maché hands coming out of the wall creep me out in a 60′s surrealism weird movie with cheap special effects way. Ha ha.

3. Laura says:

these are amazing! and i don’t think i’ve said this yet, so: your new blog is lovely! :) x

4. Ashlee says:

These are really whimsical and fun! I love how your projects are so cool and yet simple enough to make me think I could accomplish them! AMAZING! I love the yellow color too!

5. anto says:

wow, these are really cute and unexpected.You don’t think they might be able to hold a purse or small bag? Cause that would look fun. But since it’s paper mache I’m guessing it wouldn’t hold up.

6. Alaina says:

You are so clever! This is such a cute idea.

7. I can’t decide if I think these are creepy or not. Body part decor kind of freaks me out… but anatomy stuff doesn’t, so my brain must be REALLY weird.

Either way, it’s a really cleaver use for them!

8. Megan says:

I agree with Megan! Can’t decide if they would creep me out too much! I feel like I might get spooked at night…but at the same time, such a cool idea!!

My mom freaked out every time she came over when she saw them! haha! Then she would laugh and tell me how silly I was for having them on my walls. So I moved them to a more private room in our house. :)

9. Linn says:

I love how you described them as Tim Burtonesque, that was my first thought when I saw these hands :-) They’re super cool!

10. Suzy8track says:

Kind of wacky, but I like it! Reminds me a little of Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory (the one with Gene Wilder, NOT the crappy version with Jonny Depp). Surprises at every corner!

11. Allona says:

I really really LOVE these! They’re kinda creepy, but in the best possible way! :) Great tutorial/craft!

12. This is so strange, hilarious, and brilliant. It reminds me of the old 50s musical movie that I grew up watching over and over again called The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T which was created with Seuss’ help. Really interesting if you ever decide to see it (perhaps you have).

13. Scout says:

I love this! Normally I prefer traditional style and would *never* go for something like this, but I love how you made it look fun and handy (ha…handy…oh man) without being creepy and weird. Anyway. This is great and I might have to try it :)

14. alison says:

ahh! these are awesome!

15. Christine says:

I love those Tim Burton-esque type accents as well. This is a fabulous project and one I can actually envision pulling off in the near future! Thanks for the inspiration and tutorial.

16. sally holland says:

where do you find the paper mache hands?

I found the paper mache hands in the paper mache aisle at a craft store chain called Pat Catans. It is similar to a Hobby Lobby or ACMoore. I’ve heard some people haven’t been able to find them in their craft stores. Good luck!

17. Marilyn Petrick says:

Okay, here’s the thing–I am thinking about how to make paper mache hands from scratch. I am thinking about forming a mask out of 2 hands with thumbs next to each other and attaching somehow. I know this sounds crazy. How would you make paper mache hands from scratch?