Beat the Heat Beauty | Easy 1960’s-Inspired Updo

Since Phil and I are living without air conditioning these days, and I’m working on growing out my short hairstyle and bangs, my Summer style includes lots of updos. This variation is inspired by 1960’s piled-high hairdos, famously sported by the likes of Bridget Bardot and Jane Fonda. The little ponytail atop the head secures your bangs, and gives height to the style. Check out the easy instructions below!

You will need: Curlers, Aeresol hairspray, ponytail holder, bobby pins, comb, and a curling iron

1 & 2: Heat up a set of small hot rollers (I used this set). After they’re ready, pull up small sections of hair (starting at the top of your head), spray generously with aerosol hairspray, and roll your hair downward into the curler. If your hair is short like mine, don’t worry about curling all of your hair. Just the top and front will do.

3 & 4: After the rollers have cooled, remove them and gently pick through your hair, fluffing up the curls a bit, without tugging too much.

5 & 6: Gather a generous amount of hair from the top of your head, and secure with a small ponytail holder. Make sure you get your hangs in here too! If your bangs are shorter, secure the ponytail closer to the front of your head. If they are longer, you can secure the ponytail closer to the crown of your head. Then spray and tease (I backcombed mine with a bristle brush.) the hair you’ve secured, and also the hair that still remains loose.

7 & 8: Using a bristle brush or fine toothed-comb, pull up the loose bits of your hair, not too tightly, and secure with bobby pins near the ponytail. After all of the loose hair has been secured, brush the sides upward with a brush or fine-toothed comb to smooth everything out.

9 & 10: Now, separate out some chunky curls, pinning them into place with bobby pins. After your curls are placed how you like, pull a tiny bit of hair out from around your temples, and curl with a hot iron. Check your curls once more, and give your hair one last generous coat of aerosol spray.

I love that my hair can now stay off my neck and forehead all day, but I look much more sophisticated than if I had slicked it all back into a ponytail, with randomly placed bobby pins to keep my bangs in placed. Now I just can’t wait to get some more length and really get a great, big, beautiful pile of hair going on the top of my head!

1. katiecupcake says:

you’re so pretty mandi! i love up-dos. it’s seriously the reason i’m growing out my hair. that, and braids. i’ll have to add this to my list to try! but first i need to get some hot rollers.

2. danielle thompson says:

A-DOR-A-BLE. love it so much! : ) and i mostly love how great your photos are. And how cute you are. ; )

3. I love this style. I do my hair like this most days to get it off my face. I can’t believe how quickly your hair has grown too. It will be really long in no time! x

4. Amanda says:

Love it. I feel like my hair is about the same length, but I can never get the hairs close to my neck to stay up. Do you have any tips for those pesky bottom hairs?

Hi Amanda! I have the same trouble. I use bobby pins and lots of hairspray. But I’m wearing my hair like this today, and have a head scarf around it- which works wonders!

5. Valerie says:

Love the hairdo! Very cute, and you are radiating! ;)

6. kris says:

You are too cute! How long did that take you!?

It took me a little longer than it should, because I only have half of the small rollers I need. So I had to put them in half my head, wait five minutes or so, take them out, heat them up again, and put them in the other half of my hair again. If I had a big set of small rollers (I plan on buying soon!), then the rolling process would take ten minutes, and the styling part would take about five minutes. So, it would only take 15 minutes total, if I had enough rollers. Also, I like to put on my makeup while my rollers are in. Except lately it’s been so hot, my makeup practically melts off when I have rollers on! Today I sat in front of an oscillating fan while I did my makeup. :)

7. heather says:

This is super cute, Mandi! I cant believe how long your hair already is! I’ll have to try this out, especially since its been over 100 degrees for the last week with no end in sight….take care in the heat! You look beautiful!

8. MANDI! Shut-up! You are too cute!! I love this style and want to give it a try. But I can’t get over these pictures of you…they are lovely!!

9. Mara says:

I so have to try this style now! I’m in the process of growing out my bangs and hair in general too, and I’ve been needing some cute and easy styles to try! You look beautiful!
    Also: “one last generous goat of aerosol spray.” that typo made me giggle (and I can’t stop giggling, actually, just picturing it… not to be pointing out errors, it’s just giving me the most hilarious mental picture, and for some reason strikes me as really funny!)

haha well, that’s what I’m here for! To make you laugh at my mistakes. :) No but seriously, that’s a funny typo, but I’m going to fix it now. Thanks for letting me know!

10. Leigh-Ann says:

cutest post styling evvvvver, you’re so lovely :)

11. Kristian says:

Cute and fun

12. Love it! And I also like your brows a lot! Even if you draw them on top, I love the natural curve they have ! And, ps., you glow girl! I am sure that little person growing inside of you has something to do with that! :-)

Thank you! I didn’t draw on top of them this time, but occasionally I do. I always feel a little too made-up when I do, ya know what I mean?

13. Yes, I get your point, and I saw that this time were all natural. I do draw them up, too sometimes, when I want to feel a little more made-up! Actually when I have bolder make-up or lashes.

14. Love this hairstyle! And the look of your new blog!! Great job!!!

15. Krystle says:

love! my hair is at such a weird short stage, wish i could get it up that high haha the new blog is adorable!

16. Kailey says:

This is such a clever and informative diy! Thank you so much! Also, I love your dress <3

17. if this would work with my very long hair, I’d so do it. It is really beautiful and simply lovely.