Movie Mondays | Pillow Talk 1959

Two young, single New Yorkers are forced to share a phone line, and tensions are running high! On one side of the party line is Brad Allen (Rock Hudson), a womanizing bachelor who keeps a steady schedule of romancing a rotation of gullible women on the phone. On the other side is Jan Morrow (Doris Day), a professional interior decorator who just needs to call her clients- but every time she picks up her phone, all she hears is Brad singing the same old love song to a different girl each time. Amidst the battle over the telephone, Brad starts to make Jan wonder if perhaps she really is just a bitter, single girl who resents the romance on the other side of the phone. Maybe she could use a little excitement in her life?

While dining at the same nightclub, Brad overhears Miss Morrow’s name, and is curious to discover what the other end of his party line looks like. Turns out the crabby lady who annoyingly interrupts his phone calls is actually quite the looker. So, of course, being the lady killer that he is, Brad decides to try to seduce the woman who already despises him, though they have never met in person. Well, she knows his voice from their telephone calls, so he dons a (comically horrible) Texan accent, and turns on the charm. But as their dates fly by, Brad realizes he’s falling in love with Miss Jan Morrow. How much longer can he keep up the charade?

Pillow Talk is one of the most iconic Doris Day movies, matching her up with her most popular costar, Rock Hudson, and sprinkled with the perfect amount of singing (without pushing the film into musical-territory) and oodles of style. The humorous storyline is well paced, and even somewhat believable, as far as late ’50s comedies go. Real-life friends Day and Hudson bring so much chemistry to their romantic roles, it makes you wish they had been a couple in real life. Of course, Rock Hudson was a homosexual, and if you know this, you’ll appreciate some side-line comedic plots that imply quite a bit for the 1950s!

As you can see, the fashion and styling alone make this classic comedy worth watching. Add its pitch-perfect humor and charming characters, and you’ve got a must-see movie!

1. Danielle says:

Looks like a fantastic movie! I am definitely going to check it out. Thank you so much for sharing it! Now, I need to find a movie rental around here.

2. Kit says:

I love this film so much! Doris Day is just so cute and it’s an excellent little rom com :-)

Don’t hate me, but I think In some of her films, she can be annoying with her squealing and pristine demeanor. But this one, I just love to pieces! She was perfect in Pillow Talk. And the weirdest thing just happened! As I was typing this, Doris Day came onto my Pandora station! Weird! haha

• Kit says:

I have to admit I’ve only ever seen her in this and Calamity Jane but can imagine if she’s always squealing like she does in Pillow Talk it could old fast! I have The Glass Bottom Boat waiting for me at home, so we’ll see how I feel about that! :-)

3. Lizzie says:

GAH! I LOVE this movie. Between this and That Touch of Mink… Doris Day is just beyond adorable.

Oh, yes! I love that one too! The whole time I was rewatching Pillow Talk, I was thinking of the parallels between the two movies. :)

4. Ashley says:

This is also my favorite Doris Day movie! I never knew Rock Hudson was gay, he plays such a believable straight man. I must re-watch this now, thank you for reminding me of my love for Doris Day!

5. Meredith says:

LOVE Doris Day. Have you seen “The Glass Bottom Boat”? That is probably my favorite DD movie…I especially love Paul Lynde’s character. So good.

I haven’t seen that movie in so long! I think it’s on Netflix, and I was planning on watching it soon. Thanks for the reminder!

6. vivi k says:

I LOVE this movie! Old movies have a special place in my heart. :)

7. Courteney says:

Love this film! I’m a big fan of her 60’s rom-coms. Super cute. I saw this live as a play too, and it was super fun.

8. ahh the first movie I ever saw with Doris Day which made her my favorite actress of all time. I haven’t watched this movie though since I was about 16, so I need to see it again (and now I have a feeling I’ll understand the innuendos eeek). Great review.

9. Lesley says:

Pillow Talk is one of my favourite movies! I love Rock Hudson & Doris Day together. Plus, I love the drunken maid that shows up every morning. She’s fun