Movie Mondays: Thoroughly Modern Millie

Thoroughly_modern_millie_poster

A delightfully fun period piece, this musical comedy isn’t one to revere the nostalgia of 1920’s American culture. The whole film pokes fun at the flapper girl, and cheekily gives popular slang and pastimes of the prohibition era quite a ribbing.

Thoroughly Modern Millie 1

Thoroughly Modern Millie 2

The movie begins with Millie’s hilarious transformation into a modern gal, whose chief fashion angst is figuring out how to get her beads to hang straight. Shortly into the film, Mary Tyler Moore joins Julie Andrews with her adaptation of a Dorothy Brown, a rich young girl with no family, who has come to make it big as an actress on Broadway. Unfortunately for her sweet self, the female boarding establishment she selected is run by an apparent underground sex-slave operation, who abducts pretty girls with no family or home.

Thoroughly Modern Millie 3

Thoroughly Modern Millie 5

Thoroughly Modern Millie 6

Millie, always one to make new friends, takes Dorothy under her wing, and also manages to fall in love with a modern young man, even though her real goal is to marry her boss. Though, it would seem, that Mollie’s young man, and her boss, have fallen in love with Dorothy Brown, who is also the most recent target of the sex-slave operation.

Thoroughly Modern Millie 4

Throughly Modern Millie19

The film is a witty cultural expos? full of fun characters, adventure, romance, and even a few musical numbers. It’s an enjoyable film and a terribly fun way to spend two hours of your time.

Thoroughly Modern Millie 8

Thoroughly Modern Millie 9

screencaps by me; movie poster via Movie Screenshots
(check out the link for some funnier screencaps from this movie!)

1. Oh, I love Julie Andrews! Have you seen Victor/Victoria? Awesome :)

2. Hannah B says:

This is one of my favorite movies!

3. Miranda says:

I love this movie! The music, the costumes, and Julie Andrews are all fantastic! :)

4. Raman says:

This is one of my favorite movies! Your blog is inspiring and the photos are lovely. x Raman

5. Yey!! this is one of my favorite movies!! LOVE IT so much!!!! I’d watch it more often if it weren’t so super long, but it is so incredible!!!

6. emily says:

wow, those dresses are amazing. I will have to check this movie out!

7. caitlin says:

i just saw my brother in a production of thoroughly modern millie at his high school- he played jimmy and was so adorable. it’s a super bizarre story though . . .

8. Bridget says:

I absolutely love this movie! My high school put this on just this past weekend. The stage version is somewhat different, but still amazing. I played one of the tap-dancing stenographers! :)

9. iris ashley says:

i feel like i’ve seen this movie before as the screen caps look familiar but i can’t remember! i guess i’ll just have to get it on netflix!

10. emily k. says:

I am renting this tomorrow!! I love Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore and this looks pretty entertaining to say the least:)

11. Heather says:

I don’t know why I haven’t seen this before! I just put it on my netflix! Thanks for posting this!