Getting Real

2011_01_27

As a blogger, It can be really easy to sit all the way across the blogosphere and put forth an image of your ideal self, neglecting the parts of yourself that are imperfect, but make you the unique being that you are. So, I thought I would let you all in on some things about me that you might not know, and perhaps might find interesting.

• I sleep in far too often. It’s a major weakness of mine and kills my productivity.
  • From ages 15-21 I was tanorexic.  These days I have embraced my paleness and encourage other people to be careful about sun exposure on their skin. No sense in becoming wrinkly sooner or dying young, right? And besides, I now think pale skin is beautiful.
  • I don’t wear makeup every day. But I do love to wear lipstick and blush. It’s my way of putting on a “lady face.”
  • To me, skirts are more comfortable than jeans. So, if I’m hanging out at home and want to get cozy, I usually don a large shirt and a comfortable skirt.

2011_01_27b

• I have a pesky little scar just left of my left eye. When I was in high school, I had a cyst on my face, and two in my mouth. So, they were removed, and now I have this awesome scar. It really doesn’t bother me aesthetically, but it’s still super sensitive.
  • I wish my boobs weren’t so big. Gosh do I ever. When I was a little girl obsessed with being a woman, I prayed to Jesus that he would give me big boobs. No other woman in my family has them, except for me. I’m convinced God has a sense of humor.
  • I have really skinny nostrils. That might be why I usually turn my head for photos. I think it makes my nose look nicer.
  • I’m the queen of filling up my entire 4 cup french press, and then only drinking one cup of coffee. I get too distracted to finish it.

2011_01_27c

Outfit details:

Blouse: thrifted
Skirt: garage sale

1. Summer says:

i feel the same way about skirts…but its funny, eventhough im more comfy, i look more “dressed”

2. Too cute. I also fill my french press for 4 cups and only (oops) drink one cup. My hubby likes to tease me about it. I am loving the blue on blue here and the pictures are beautiful. xx veronika

3. This look is effortless! I just love it. Plus, that blue really shows off your hair. I have gone back and forth between brunette and redhead myself. Now that I’m brunette again, this picture is making me long for red! Sigh. Anyway, great post. Your blog is one of my favorites :)

4. Sasha says:

You’re awesome! This post was great.

5. jeny says:

I love the fact that I identify with two of these points. Its always nice when someone you admire reveals something real that you (reader) struggle with. :) Thanks for such a great post.

6. roe says:

Omagash. You too?!
    So I prayed too.
    In seventh grade, when everyone else was filling out, I prayed to God: “look. Here’s the deal. If give me just enough to tent my shirt, I’ll never complain about it.”
    And that’s all I got. Just enough to tent my shirt. Whenever I start to get upset about how great other women look with their B & C cups, I have to bite my tongue. I gave you what you asked for, didn’t I?

7. Cute post! The “real” you is pretty cool, too!! :)

8. kristy says:

my family jokes that i’m afraid of the sun & that i’m the palest person in the sunshine state. i just knock back to my mom that i won’t have to visit the dermatologist once a month to have skin cancer removed from my face like she does (she was in the 70’s/80’s era of lubing up with baby oil & baking yourself) i’ve never gone without someone making a comment on how pale i am & i’ve never once been bothered by it. i have fair skin, light hair & eyes & burn in 10 seconds flat. i think it’s good you are learning to embrace it :) people always think i’m younger than i really am & i think it has to do with staying out of the sun… (or at least i’ll keep telling myself that ;)

9. Moorea Seal says:

ok, HEY YO do i relate. I also prayed to God that he would give me boobs when i was little. what the hell was i thinking!?! God was like, ok you want boobs? I’ll give you boobs.
    I’m now a 32 G. uuuuugh.
    I tried to get a breast reduction when I was 18 but the doc said that i would keep growing till i was 22. False, I am 24 and I am still growing. Good thing I didn’t get the reduction. Not only because it wouldn’t have stopped my boobs getting huge, but it also gave me time to learn to love myself despite the things that I see as flaws or the things that sometimes hurt me.
    Curvy girls. woot woot!
    <3 Moorea

10. Brandie says:

Ha! Love this post. Like you, I come from a family of small chested women. I was a tall, skinny kid and totally resigned to the fact I wouldn’t have large boobs. And then, I was the only one who got big boobs (and at a very young age). What the heck? I think God’s sense of humor in our case was to “bless me” with all the wishes of my Grandma, Mom, and Aunts!

11. Cara Mason says:

I did the exact same experience with my boobs, and had a breast reduction 2 years ago.
    Best decision I ever made!

12. What a fabulous, honest post. It was so lovely to read. The real you is so wonderful and very inspiring. Thank you
    Sophie x

13. I quite like your little scar, it is cute. Like a dimple for your forehead! I only have a few scars, not on my face but on my legs, but I hate them because they are a horrid dark red.
    Lovely outfit, the blue colours ore so fresh and crisp.

14. if we could transfer your breasts just slightly to mine, that would be cool, because I’m an A cup. haha.
    That’s awful about all those cysts you had. I can’t imagine having them in the mouth!!
    I’m very pale too, but I’ve embraced it since I was at least 15. Since then I don’t like to be in the sun much and usually put lots of sunscreen on or wear hats and I really need a new . . whatchamakalit. . one of those parasols. I used to have one but it ripped.
    I think skirts are more comfortable too!
    These shots of you are beautiful.

15. Patty says:

Big boobs are seriously not all cracked up to what other people make them. I wish I could donate some of mine to someone that wants some, hahaha.
    OH go read your twitter, us girls were talking about you on there because we have big plans for next weekend!!!

16. Giedre says:

Aw, love your post! And I completely agree with you about the skirts – in the winter, especially, I feel so much cozier in a skirt and tights and boots, then in a pair of pants. :)
    Keep up the good work!
    -giedre

17. gee says:

i get about 10-13hrs of sleep everyday…lol.
    the husband gives me hard time about it..but I LOVE SLEEPING! (this is one of the reasons i have not had children..sleep is to amazing to give up!)
    i also was a addicted to tanning..(plus.. my dad is a dermatologist…ah. they hate tanning beds.) i didnt tan til moved out to go to college and went behind his back..lol. but now i love being pale. it is beautiful.
    this post was perfect. i always love when bloggers this.
    you look beautiful as always..your hair looks amazing when you wear blue.
    xoox

18. Elizabeth says:

I just found your blog recently and found this funny and sweet. :) Love your photos.

19. Amanda says:

Tanerexic! I know exactly what you mean. I, too, am a former tanerexix. Nice to meet ya:)

20. Alysse says:

I think it’s hilarious that you prayed for bigger boobs. I prayed for little ones, and am the smallest in my family!!

21. Jamie says:

I have a scar next to my right eye from a cyst too! Yours is far cuter than mine though.

22. Deanna says:

Haha! I used to pray for smaller boobs! Ironic huh?
    <3 Deanna
    of: http://barefootblogginglove.blogspot.com/

23. Lindsey says:

i always love posts like this! so honest.
    i definitely agree on the pale skin thing. who needs wrinkles & sun spots when you can have soft, smooth skin!?

24. Lindsay says:

This is a really sweet post. And I’m glad to hear you sleep in late too =]

25. Krysti says:

This post just proved how awesome you are. You are a beautiful woman inside & out!
    Love the new hair by the way ;)

26. .amanda. says:

You sound so sweet and adorable!! It is good to be self aware, but great to not be too hard on yourself for things!
    I also LOVE wearing skirts. Just at work the other day a co-worker said, oh my goodness, you’re wearing pants…I never see you in pants! :)

27. I know exactly what you mean! I hate wearing jeans at home!

28. artviking says:

Wow do I feel you about the whole big boobs thing. It is such an inconvenience and a pain in the ass when you are trying to buy clothes! But it does make big shirt that bit sexier when you unbutton a button…
    you are a great blogger and i always enjoy what you have to say. thanks.
    xo.

29. Lauren says:

oh what a lovely post! I am tanorexic too…If I get burnt…which isn’t very often I just peel and go back to white!
    You are right God does have a sense of humor :)

30. I was the same way with boobs! I was a total late bloomer and hoped and prayed for them for years! I didn’t get them until my freshman year of college, but man did they ever arrive! The coffee thing is totally me too, I bring a big ol’ tumbler of coffee to work and then two hours later i realize I’ve drank hardly any and now it’s cold!

31. Kristin says:

I sleep in waaaayyy too much too! And i never wear makeup. You are beautiful without it!

32. Jes says:

OMG I totally did the same thing about my boobs!! hahahaha!! I remember looking in the mirror and just wishing and praying that my boobs would get bigger… Hello 36DD. Good grief.

33. I loved this. And I totally think skirts are more comfy than jeans.

34. Lynn says:

mandi, you are so pretty! i love your haircolor and the blue outfit a bunch.
    so interesting how you worded that, i’ve never thought about how yes we do put forth our ideal image of ourselves. now looking into the things i write and post is kind of like an inner excavation of sorts. thanks for the perspective, i’ve learned something today! plus love all your in depth facts…i prayed for the big guns too but to no avail…he must have been working on your sitch at that moment ; )
    “lady face” rocks!

35. Jen says:

Very sweet post. I love the quirky things about ourselves that we never really share with anyone else. Thanks for sharing! Love the outfit as well. xoxo

36. loved this post. nothing beats being real. also, your scar is cute.

37. Rachell says:

?I’m the queen of filling up my entire 4 cup french press, and then only drinking one cup of coffee. I get too distracted to finish it.
    Haha! I do this too. Sometimes I’ll make the regular pot and never finish it, so I’ll leave it for the next morning and just reheat. Is that bad?

38. Divya says:

Oh my I’ve never met anyone else who makes a lot of tea/coffee and then forgets to finish it! Usually I get distracted before I even finish making it!
    ~Newscutouts