Powder Room Progress

powder room mock-up

I’m so excited to be able to pop in with a powder room update for you all! So far I’ve completely rearranged the bathroom with help from J&J Plumbing, settled on tile and fixture choices, and have even begun tiling!

Right now I’m in the process of thinking about decorations as I pause work on the space for a moment. I’m torn between using mostly white decorative elements to add more of textural interest with less dynamic design, or something warmer like what’s pictured above right. What do you think?

powder room makeover

Our sink and toilet used to be arranged on the left wall of the powder room, but now the sink will be across from the opening, with the toilet to the left of it.

powder room makeover

We built out the wall a bit in order to create a ledge behind the small sink, but it was actually quite handy, because we realized the wall we wanted to move plumbing too wasn’t just drywall. It was masonry, with no space for pipes. I definitely got lucky that my original design solved the issue before it became an issue!

powder room makeover

Right now we’ll be working on tiling, and I’ll be adding the wood for the ledge and trim. The walls and ceiling still need painted as well.

I am torn a bit with what to do about grout. You can see a sample piece sitting below the sink in the photo above. The grout color on the left is called Haystack, and would provide a softer backdrop without as much contrast. The dark gray would definitely highlight each individual rock in the tile sheets, but I can’t decide if that would just be too much, considering this tile is going up half the wall and will also be on the floor.

I need to decide what to do about grout in a few days! Send me all of your opinions!

1. Cara says:

I like the warmer accents!

2. Geraldine says:

I like the white decorations and the haystack grout as it let the sink, the sconces and the tile shine while adding the perfect amount of texture to complement the tile’s own texture. Our attention is drown to it in a subtle way.

3. yasmara says:

Definitely the lighter grout!

4. Jeanne says:

Personally, I was immediately drawn to the warmer accents on the right. And I think the Haystack grout color is a nice touch. Would it be too jarring to do the darker on the floor and the lighter on the wall? Cool aesthetic!

5. Noémie says:

Hello Mandy,

I prefer the Haystack grout and the warmer accents. I think the darker grout would actually be too much since it’s going from the floor to half the wall , and the warm accessories enhance the color of the tiles and the sink.

By the way, I follow your blog for quite a long time now, and your house renovation is really impressive ! You have very good ideas, and you are a great inspiration for my own house renovation.

Thanks a lot, from France :)

6. Emily Rose says:

Hi Mandy,

It looks really great. Mosaic tiles look really good, where did you get em from? Are they marble or porcelain?

7. Haley says:

I like the darker grout and the warm accessories. I’m so interested to see the final bathroom.