Study Makeover Update

study makeover

Whew! Is Spring really truly here? And Summer right around the corner? It’s about time I finish up some of these indoor projects so I can move on to our deck makeover. The past three weeks we’ve been hitting the study makeover hard. Quite a few things have changed since my original post about the plans for this space, so I wanted to share an update with you all. In fact, most of it has changed! Yikes!

I committed to a color for the room, and I’m really happy with how it’s looking so far! We’ve only began painting some trim, and I could resist swiping the wall with some of the color. (You can see it below inside the bookshelf and also around the window trim.) The color is a nice muted green/gray from Benjamin Moore called Oil Cloth. It’ll be nice to have another space in our home with color on the wall! So much of our home is white.

study makeover

So far I have the IKEA Billy Bookcase built-ins almost completed, and tomorrow I hope to add the batten paneling strips so I can paint the room over the weekend. I’ll be sharing all of the DIY details for this space on A Beautiful Mess when it’s complete. Right now I’m just chomping at the bit to have it done so I can style the space and finally use it! So many of our books are still boxed up, and it’s frustrating at times to not be able to find a book. It will also be nice to not have this be our guests first view when they enter our home! It’s the front room at our house, and our entryway has been a mess for over a year now.

study makeover

My furniture selections for this space have also evolved. My new friend Susie and I swapped some home items with each other recently, and I got this amazing set of nested tables out of the deal. They’re perfect for this small space! That led me to swapping out the rug for something that wouldn’t compete with the marble of the table, and then to get a more subtle and classic style of sofa from Article to bring a bit of a classic/timeless vibe back into the room.

Choosing a color for my dream chair (The Womb Chair from Rove Concepts) has been tricky, but I think that with a white linen slipcover over the sofa from Comfort Works, I might like a light gray color for the womb chair. It would keep things more neutral in a room where lots of color will be on the bookshelf wall. (There will be no turning book spines into the wall! ha!) Any thoughts?

study makeover

study makeover

I’m still figuring out some of the details on what will make it into the room and what won’t, but here are the big contenders! I’ve linked them up for you below. Hopefully I’ll be ready to share the room in a couple of weeks! A little more serenity in our home, and a lot more books, would be really nice right about now.

1. Burrard Sofa from Article
  2. Cowhide Rug from Amazon
  3. Shag Pillow from Lulu & Georgia
  4. Pendula Lamp from Article
  5. Stoneware Vases from West Elm
  6. Womb Chair from Rove Concepts
  7. Moon Floor Lamp from Article
  8. Walnut Desk from Lulu & Georgia

1. Danielle says:

Where in the world did you find that Buckeye Lake pennant?!? I grew up near there and that thing is darling!

2. Nora Griffin says:

Oh this might be my favorite project of yours yet…I can only imagine how wonderful it will be to hang out on the couch and read.

Thank you, Nora! I’m so excited to crack open some of the new books I recently bought, inspired by this project. :) The girls are excited about reading in here too— added bonus!

3. Shannon says:

Mandy, I love everything about this room, especially the colour! The womb chair is also my dream chair. I almost snagged one when i did a summer internship with Knoll.
    Do you think this wall colour would work in a room that gets a lot of natural light?

I will never forget the first time I sat in a real Knoll womb chair at DWR! I was SO surprised at how comfortable it was, and vowed one day to have one. I figured it would be when I retired and cashed in my nest egg. Haha! I wish I could get an original. Also, yes, this room color is lovely! We painted the walls now, and the room gets a lot of natural light. It doesn’t have a whole wall of windows or anything, but this is the brightest corner of our house, daylight-wise. We really like it!

4. Amanda says:

I feel like a grey chair and greyish sofa and grey toned tables with greyish walls could be a bit TOO neutral? I take your point, but I think having colour in just the chair would work without being overpowering. Also I just LOVE that burnt orange! Regardless, I know the room will look amazing when you’re done :)

I keep going back and forth on this! I love burnt orange so much. I feel like it would be the perfect chair to add a pop of color to a more neutral space. But this space won’t be so neutral, so I’m leaning away from it. Maybe I need two womb chairs? One for in here and one for elsewhere? haha

5. Colleen says:

If you’ve already mentioned this, I apologize, but I’m curious what design program you’re using? Thanks!

I use Photoshop for all of my rendered mock-ups, but I often first use AutoCAD to lay things out according to scale.

6. Lisa says:

Glad to hear you are not turning the book spines to the wall. Honestly, I hate that! I can’t wait to see the room, it will be awesome, whatever you choose.

Thank you! I’m so excited to get all of my books on the wall, and even more excited to read some of the new ones I bought to add to my collection. :)

7. Tina says:

Are you planning to post a DIY for the white clay(?) picture shown above? I‘d be excited to have it as a bedroom decoration. :-) Thanks!!

8. Gcollins says:

Mandi, I’m a native Clevelander and recently moved to Columbus with my husband. I was searching for Ohio bloggers, to find interesting places to go in Columbus, and thankfully I found you! You and your blog/instagram are an inspiration for me. I know this doesn’t have anything to do with your post, but my mom and I have a day trip planned to go to Main Street Modern. I’ve never been to Canton and it seems like you go to the best local places! Could you share a few?

Hi! I hope this response isn’t too late. Close to Main St. Modern is Deli Ohio for a nice, lighter lunch. Bender’s is a beautiful old restaurant that is on the pricier side, but lunch is more affordable, and definitely worth it. See if Collette’s Vintage is open when you’re coming (they’re Instagram or Facebook page may say— or call ahead), Arrowhead Vintage and Handmade has some fun and quirky things— really, a random assortment of stuff at that shop. George’s is an old dive bar that I used to go to like three times a week with my friends before I had kids! Ha! They didn’t serve food back then, but now they do, and a lot of people like to stop there for burgers. Cultured Coffee is also a sort of divier coffee shop with good coffee and waffles. If you’re into thrifting, there’s a good Salvation Army on Whipple Avenue near the mall area. A Goodwill outlet is across the street, but it’s not a typical Goodwill— it’s just bins of unsorted junk. Going through the bins is kinda gross, haha, but you can find treasures sometimes. Milk and Honey is an almost untouched 1960s ice cream shop (serves diner style greasy plate lunches too), and Taggarts is a 1930s ice cream shop with much of its original charm as well. If you want to see anything historical, president William McKinley’s monument and grave is in Canton.

If you go up to Akron, check out The Bomb Shelter (it’s my highest recommended place in Akron). In Highland Square (Akron neighborhood) hit up Stagecoach Antiques, Birchwood Supply, Square Records, Mustard Seed Cafe, and Mary Coyle’s ice cream shop. There’s also another record store closer to downtown Akron called Time Traveler Records. The dude who owns it is really nice and helpful. The Akron Art museum is nice, but not free (just on Thursdays), Nuevo is a nice modern Mexican restaurant in Akron, and the Northside Market might have some fun stuff going on.

• Gcollins says:

Thank you so much for your detailed response! Our trip is mid July and we will definitely use your recommendations! I’m incredibly excited. Thanks again :-)