Study Makeover Update

study makeover

Whew! Is Spring really truly here? And Summer right around the corner? It’s about time I finish up some of these indoor projects so I can move on to our deck makeover. The past three weeks we’ve been hitting the study makeover hard. Quite a few things have changed since my original post about the plans for this space, so I wanted to share an update with you all. In fact, most of it has changed! Yikes!

I committed to a color for the room, and I’m really happy with how it’s looking so far! We’ve only began painting some trim, and I could resist swiping the wall with some of the color. (You can see it below inside the bookshelf and also around the window trim.) The color is a nice muted green/gray from Benjamin Moore called Oil Cloth. It’ll be nice to have another space in our home with color on the wall! So much of our home is white.

study makeover

So far I have the IKEA Billy Bookcase built-ins almost completed, and tomorrow I hope to add the batten paneling strips so I can paint the room over the weekend. I’ll be sharing all of the DIY details for this space on A Beautiful Mess when it’s complete. Right now I’m just chomping at the bit to have it done so I can style the space and finally use it! So many of our books are still boxed up, and it’s frustrating at times to not be able to find a book. It will also be nice to not have this be our guests first view when they enter our home! It’s the front room at our house, and our entryway has been a mess for over a year now.

study makeover

My furniture selections for this space have also evolved. My new friend Susie and I swapped some home items with each other recently, and I got this amazing set of nested tables out of the deal. They’re perfect for this small space! That led me to swapping out the rug for something that wouldn’t compete with the marble of the table, and then to get a more subtle and classic style of sofa from Article to bring a bit of a classic/timeless vibe back into the room.

Choosing a color for my dream chair (The Womb Chair from Rove Concepts) has been tricky, but I think that with a white linen slipcover over the sofa from Comfort Works, I might like a light gray color for the womb chair. It would keep things more neutral in a room where lots of color will be on the bookshelf wall. (There will be no turning book spines into the wall! ha!) Any thoughts?

study makeover

study makeover

I’m still figuring out some of the details on what will make it into the room and what won’t, but here are the big contenders! I’ve linked them up for you below. Hopefully I’ll be ready to share the room in a couple of weeks! A little more serenity in our home, and a lot more books, would be really nice right about now.

1. Burrard Sofa from Article
  2. Cowhide Rug from Amazon
  3. Shag Pillow from Lulu & Georgia
  4. Pendula Lamp from Article
  5. Stoneware Vases from West Elm
  6. Womb Chair from Rove Concepts
  7. Moon Floor Lamp from Article
  8. Walnut Desk from Lulu & Georgia

1. Danielle says:

Where in the world did you find that Buckeye Lake pennant?!? I grew up near there and that thing is darling!

2. Nora Griffin says:

Oh this might be my favorite project of yours yet…I can only imagine how wonderful it will be to hang out on the couch and read.

Thank you, Nora! I’m so excited to crack open some of the new books I recently bought, inspired by this project. :) The girls are excited about reading in here too— added bonus!

3. Shannon says:

Mandy, I love everything about this room, especially the colour! The womb chair is also my dream chair. I almost snagged one when i did a summer internship with Knoll.
    Do you think this wall colour would work in a room that gets a lot of natural light?

I will never forget the first time I sat in a real Knoll womb chair at DWR! I was SO surprised at how comfortable it was, and vowed one day to have one. I figured it would be when I retired and cashed in my nest egg. Haha! I wish I could get an original. Also, yes, this room color is lovely! We painted the walls now, and the room gets a lot of natural light. It doesn’t have a whole wall of windows or anything, but this is the brightest corner of our house, daylight-wise. We really like it!

4. Amanda says:

I feel like a grey chair and greyish sofa and grey toned tables with greyish walls could be a bit TOO neutral? I take your point, but I think having colour in just the chair would work without being overpowering. Also I just LOVE that burnt orange! Regardless, I know the room will look amazing when you’re done :)

I keep going back and forth on this! I love burnt orange so much. I feel like it would be the perfect chair to add a pop of color to a more neutral space. But this space won’t be so neutral, so I’m leaning away from it. Maybe I need two womb chairs? One for in here and one for elsewhere? haha

5. Colleen says:

If you’ve already mentioned this, I apologize, but I’m curious what design program you’re using? Thanks!

6. Lisa says:

Glad to hear you are not turning the book spines to the wall. Honestly, I hate that! I can’t wait to see the room, it will be awesome, whatever you choose.

Thank you! I’m so excited to get all of my books on the wall, and even more excited to read some of the new ones I bought to add to my collection. :)

7. Tina says:

Are you planning to post a DIY for the white clay(?) picture shown above? I‘d be excited to have it as a bedroom decoration. :-) Thanks!!