1970s Magazine Inspiration

1970s boho modern kitchen

The 1970s is experience a revival in the design world these days, and as someone who likes a little sophisticated kitsch (that’s a thing, right?), I couldn’t be happier! I recently picked up some old House & Garden magazines from around 1969-1972, and found myself pouring over the interiors featured inside. Sure, a lot of the ’70s needs to stay buried, deep, deep down never to be seen again. But some of it is just gold. Harvest gold, sure, but if you look past the nightmarish wall-to-wall carpeting and remember the magic of sunken living rooms and malm fireplaces, there’s treasure to be found.

I hope you enjoy a little decor inspiration for your Friday! I can’t stop thinking of oversized hex tiles, earthy color schemes, and funky textiles. I’m all about the mix— a bit boho, a little mid century, a touch traditional, and a dash of glam. That grasscloth clad room below right? With the tailored white furnishings, oriental rug juxtaposed with the lucite coffee table and malm fireplace? Heaven. Which one’s your favorite room?

1970s home decor

1970s home decor

1970s sunken living room

1970s open shelving kitchen

1970s pink carpet bedroom

1. Sarah says:

I used to love going through old magazines on my grandmother’s bookshelves! Thanks for bringing back those memories! Great inspiration.

2. Vivi says:

Love the first photo! That kitchen looks so cozy…

Vivi / avecvivi.com

3. Kaie says:

So cozy and so pleasing to the eye!

Katie | Katie Like Me

4. Laura says:

Oh the room with the hex tile is for sure my favorite! Although I love a lot of things about that first kitchen too.

5. Sarah says:

LOVE! We purchased our first home in June (a 1950’s ranch) and it has a Malm fireplace in the basement. I feel so lucky – they’re a pretty penny online. We love it and can’t wait to use it this winter!

Sarah

6. Carrie says:

Your design posts are always so interesting. Random, but the 70’s influence made me think of it: I went to TJ maxx this weekend to find a purse and EVERYTHING had 70’s-ish fringe/tassels on them. I’m not a huge tassel girl, but was like ‘who knew this was in style right now?’ (Apparently not me.) :) Funny how things in fashion/design/etc. cycle back.

7. I know you said you are obsessed with sunken living rooms, but now I see full proof! :) They really are quite lovely.