Vegan Post-Workout Chocolate Milkshake

Vegan Post-Workout Chocolate Milkshake - for some yum after your run!

I haven’t been shouting it from the rooftops, because, well, quite frankly, that’s dangerous, even when you live in a ranch home. But a few of my friends who’ve been paying attention to the clues (new shoes, chia seed pudding, and subtle weight-loss) have noticed that I’ve been getting back on the healthy wagon. A few people have e-mailed me for some help with motivation and to ask what kind of exercises I’m doing and what kind of food I’m eating. Well the answer to the last question is: Yummy food! Making sure I’m enjoying the healthy food I’m eating, not eating too much of it, and properly fueling my body for the exercise I’m doing is essential if I’m going to stick with my new routines. My favorite way to fuel my body these days, and what I look forward to the most when I’m pounding the treadmill, is this delicious post-workout chocolate milkshake.

Vegan Post-Workout Chocolate Milkshake - for some yum after your run!

Last Fall I knew I needed more protein after my workouts, but the whey protein powder I had bought literally made me vomit! I figured I probably had a slight sensitivity, to say the least. After a bit of research, I settled on buying this pea protein powder from Amazon because it was low carb, high protein, and had no added sugar. Also, the reviewers said it tasted pretty good— and they were right! Typically I mix the pea protein powder with unsweetened almond milk (for flavor and calcium) in this shaker to feed my muscles after tearing them down during a hard workout. But now that it’s getting warm outside, I like to treat myself to a delicious chocolate milkshake.

To make my milkshake, all I do is fill my blender with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, three ice cubes, and one scoop of chocolate pea protein powder. I blend it until the ice is gone and the drink has thickened, then I pour the milkshake into a glass and enjoy with a cute little straw. Such a treat!

Vegan Post-Workout Chocolate Milkshake - for some yum after your run!

I decided to get vulnerable with you all and let you see exactly what I look like when I enjoy these post-workout snacks. Just be glad you can’t experience what I smell like too! I’ll probably share a bit of my fitness journey from time to time here on my personal blog, but if you want to see more of my inspiration and progress, check out my weight-loss Tumblr: Mandi Makes Progress.

Vegan Post-Workout Chocolate Milkshake - for some yum after your run!

1. Lookin’ good! And love that you use a dairy-free protein!

2. Oh, yum! We must be on the same wavelength, cuz I just bought myself some hemp protein to try out – I’ve been doing yoga and need it after the more intense sessions. I usually do a mix of spinach, almond milk, coconut water and banana – but I’m totally going to add chocolate to my next one now! :)

3. Taylor says:

This looks delicious! I’ve been trying to find a good after-workout protein mix, and you’re right, most of them are pretty disgusting! I can’t wait to try this out!

xoxo
    Taylor

It’s really good! I always put it with almond milk, but it’s alright with just water too. I want to get the vanilla flavor too (I’m a vanilla gal), but I’m afraid I won’t like it as much. I just ordered a new container of the chocolate, but I think I’m going to order the vanilla next month. I wish they did sample sizes!

4. Traci says:

Looks delicious. I have a sensitivity to whey, also. I was recently telling that to a friend, that I was whey sensitive, and he kept saying, “way sensitive to what?” Ha! Anyway, I think I may try pea protein in the future.

Ha! That is hilarious! I have a friend who does egg white protein, but I wanted something that would be yummy just by itself, without having to mix it in an entire smoothie. And friends who sell Arbonne were like, “PEA PROTEIN! I SELL IT!” And I thought, hmmm… it’s cheaper on Amazon. :\

5. Jessica says:

YAY! This is so exciting!
    Oh I am so glad I didn’t waste my money on that expensive whey protein I was looking at! I have a sensitive tummy.

Yeah, I bought a big ol’ tub of expensive organic whey protein, and found out I was intolerant! Argh. Phil doesn’t really do protein shakes, but I keep suggesting that he have a whey protein shake, so I can just get the thing out of my pantry! haha

6. Looks good Mandi :-) Love the chocolate stripe paper straws. One of our fav designs in store x

7. Anna B. says:

Good for you! We should all strive to be more healthy.
    :]

8. Brandi says:

Way to go! I just ordered the protein powder; can’t wait to make my first “milkshake”!

9. I’ve been doing this, too! Started tracking my calories and found out I wasn’t eating nearly enough protein, so the husband suggested protein powder. I like that it feels like such a big indulgence, but it’s really just good nutrition.

10. Christie says:

Looks yum! I use Almond milk in my smoothies too! It’s the best! I had stopped using my protein due to hating the taste… so I may check out this pea protein powder! Thanks for the post!

11. kathryn says:

oh you are such an inspiration! thanks for sharing with us :) i have this shake mix that i use after workouts and it makes a big difference– so easy to prepare and really keeps my energy level up. great to have another receipe for a post-workout shake!

12. Rebecca says:

this looks super yummy! I’m trying to get back onto the healthy bandwagon again so I’ll have to try this shake out!

13. Whow congratulations Mandi for your progress! I think it can definitely be a great idea to stay motivated on the long-term. I’m thinking about it for myself as I’ve been regularly on a diet for a couple of years… i don’t manage to be in all the time but I know that someday I will manage my goal even if there’s still a long time left…
    Bisette