At Home with A Beautiful Mess

midwest eclectic vintage living room

Elsie and the gang at A Beautiful Mess have featured our living room as a part of their “At Home With” series! I appreciated the reminder to capture our home at this moment in time, as this place is like a living creature- constantly changing as the days go by. Head on over to my interview at A Beautiful Mess to see more photos of our living room and to read a bit about our home and my favorite treasures.

L I V I N G   R O O M   D E T A I L S :

Mostly everything in our living room is second-hand or homemade, so I don’t have sources for you to find your own. But I did find a similar coffee table here, our shell chair rocker can be purchased here, the ice cream poster can be found here, and the photo frames here. I bought my kilim rugs from eBay and can recommend this seller and this seller. If you’re ever in the Canton area, you can shop some of my favorite sources for affordable second-hand home decor- the Route 43 Antique Mall (in Cairo near Hartville), the Medina Antique Mall, and Stagecoach Antiques (Akron).

Our bookshelves were made with poplar wood (7″ pieces at the top, and 14″ pieces at the bottom) and were mounted using standards and brackets that can be purchased at any hardware store. I did have to special order 6″ brackets from here, though. I used brackets that were smaller than the width of my shelves, and on the bottom of the shelves  I used a dremel to notch out the space for the raised bracket edges to fit together with each shelf. If you have any questions, I’ll answer them in the comments!

eclectic vintage living roomvintage art bull fighterlarge ice cream poster debbie carlosmegafaun record player

1. Nicole says:

Do you know what the paint color is you used on the walls? I’m moving from a place that has hardwood into a carpeted place, and I don’t want super-white walls with the beige carpet. The color you used is perfect I think!

I just answered that for heather, if you want to check out my answer. Also, beware, the color looks different depending on the time of day, and it often looks purple. In fact, our friends say we have purple walls! Oops!

2. heather says:

What color paint is on the walls of the living room? I love it!

It’s called elephant gray, but I can’t remember what paint brand! We bought it at a local hardware store, so I’m really not sure. But I will always remember its name. We call it the elephant in the room. :)

• Kay says:

Benjamin Moore has an Elephant Gray and I’ve been eyeing it, but always thought it’s darker!! Yours make me think that its very soothing.

Beautiful home, Mandy!

• Michelle says:

Elephant gray is a Benjamin Moore color!

3. katie says:

linked here through a beautiful mess, and i love your living room! just wondering, are your curtains/hardware from ikea? i have the vivan curtains and am thinking about getting the clips, but am concerned they wouldn’t hang right. but it looks like it worked for you, they look great!

Hi Katie! They are actually rods designed to be used for sheers on a double bracket in tandem with a thicker drapery rod. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought the skinnier rods (they’re a really dark bronze look actually), then from a different manufacturer at BB&B got the hooks and curtain clips.

4. Orchid Grey says:

Mandy, your living room (and I’m sure the rest of your home) is absolutely beautiful and looks so cozy! I loved the story of the blue stool, it’s nice to have such a strong connection to a piece. Also, that yellow dress is one of my favorite pieces I’ve seen you wear, it looks so great on you.

5. Chick Tyler says:

I said it on ABM and I’ll say it on here–Love this space! More than HGTV-worthy!

6. Joy says:

This is so cool to see. Awesome.

7. VanessaMeryl says:

This makes me want to visit you soooon!!

8. Kari says:

Hi! My son was raised in base housing (concrete flooring!). He never once busted his head and he is NOT graceful.:)

9. liz says:

it looks great mandi! i always forget that we moved around the same time. we’re creeping up on a year for us and we’re still figuring things out.

10. Nicole says:

don’t stack your vinyls like that! you’ll ruin them in those conditions. organize them in a vertical fashion instead of horizontal.

Working on it! We actually don’t have the record player set up any more because we had to move the record cabinet out of the room to fit in our Christmas tree, and still have to bring it in! So don’t worry, our records are normally stored in an actual record cabinet and the player is normally hooked up to a pre amp and our receiver/speakers.

11. Melinda says:

Where is that dress from? You look great in it!

12. Katy says:

Your living room looks so amazing! I am moving soon into my first apartment and always love looking on your site for inspiration :)

I am in love with the wall unit/book shelf, where is it from?!

13. Mollie says:

1). You have a fabulous decorating style! If IKEA and a thrift store got married that would be your house…kind of sleek/modern meets messy/homemade. :)

2). That dress is ravishing! You’re such a beautiful momma.

14. Liz says:

Hi Mandi,

I know you posted this months ago but I just bought a Debbie Carlos print I’m curious how do you hang yours? With double sided tape?

Thanks!
    Liz

Hey Liz! I spray mounted mine to foam board, trimmed it out with an Xacto and T-square, then mounted it with strips of foam board and double sided foam tape. :)

15. Maria says:

Hey – I love the poster of the spanish toro matador. Where did you get that? Is that super vintage or possible to get somewhere? Love your blog by the way so lots of love from Dubai:)

Thanks,
    Maria

Thanks, Maria! I found it at a thrift store. A very similar poster also makes an appearance in the movie Barefoot in the Park! I get so excited every time I watch that movie. Ha!

16. very charming…love your mid century modern pieces and influence…i’m trying to mix some of that into my home as well currently

17. AmyS says:

Dear Mandi,

I adore your blog & have perused it in large chunks as time permits. I remember you mentioning your next big project is to put down carpeting for the safety of your daughter as she begins crawling &walking.
    Your floor is fitting to your style &to your home with your rugs,&I can’t imagine floor to floor carpeting marring the lovely esthetic, the “feel” of your home.
    My son, who had balance,&center- of- balance issues learned how to crawl ,& walk in a home with either concrete flooring or hard wood as we lived in military housing throughout his childhood. He continued to recieve physical therapy to remediate his balance issues between ages 3-13. Again, in base housing, without wall-to-wall carpeting(some areas rugs) Actually, I was concerned, as he was very accident prone, as you can imagine. Not one single time did he hurt or even slip-upt w/his balance issue with of our lack of carpeting. Actually, his PT mentioned the surface was a much more appropriate base for his balance issues as it is solid &didn’t sink in, unlike carpet.
    Unless there are other reasons than your daughter for carpeting, I would reccomond( as I’m sure a PT would) your keeping your flooring. It’d help your daughter to learn to walk on a solid surface!
    Excuse this lengthy msg, just wanted to reassure you that carpeting would be an unnessary expense, if your primary concern is for your child. If my son, who had severe center-of-gravity & severeI balance issues never injured himself, I’m certain your lil’girl will be just fine. =^_^*=

Thank you for the joy you bring with your blog.

18. AmyS says:

P.S. Now, when my son LEFT the solid stable surfaces of our concrete or hardwood floors, the accidents happened. As they will with all children.

I accidentally pushed send without editing. Again, my apologies at the lengthiness here.

Thank you for bring joy AND inspiration into so many ppl’s lives, to include mine!=^_^*=

19. AmyS says:

*I meant wall-to-wall carpeting, oops!