Style Icon: MARIANNE FAITHFULL

Shrouded in infamy, Marianne Faithfull’s legacy is as haunting as the music she sings. Before 1964, when she was discovered at a Rolling Stone’s party in swinging London, she was just like any other hopeful singer-songwriter, carrying her guitar from one cafe to the next, waiting for someone important to take notice.

Thankfully, her career quickly took off and Marianne Faithfull went on to make quite a few albums I really enjoy. But soon her intense and widely publicized drug addictions began to destroy her life, break up her relationship with Mick Jagger, separate her from her son, and even eventually put her on the streets. Her life was so sad during the years of her life that interest me the most, so I feel a bit shabby focusing on something as trivial as her personal style. But I mean, look at her! How can I resist?

Faithfull is often better remembered as a muse rather than a musician these days, as so many timeless songs were said to be inspired by her, while her own career was so on-again-off-again. It’s really bizarre how her style, and even the quality of her voice, changed through the ’70s. She had suffered from anorexia in her lowest times, dramatically changed her voice with her unhealthy lifestyle, and the style of the times had changed from mod to punk. She has since picked up the pieces of her life and had moved far away from where she was during her darker years. But my favorite period of her style in voice and fashion is the ’60s- And thankfully, for our enjoyment,  it was captured on vinyl and film.

1. Kalie says:

I love Marianne Faithfull! I never really knew anything more about her other than her time with Mick Jagger until a few years ago when I got into a huge muse/groupies kick and read about her along with Pattie Boyd and Pamela Des Barres. Marianne is definitely interesting, along with having talent and beauty. You always have such nice big and detailed photos for your style icon posts and I love it! These posts are some of my favourite from you, thank you :)

Ooooh, do you have any books to recommend on the topic? I eat this stuff up too.

• Kalie says:

The ones I bought awhile back are the Miss O’Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights, Take Another Little Piece of My Heart, Let’s Spend the Night Together, I’m With the Band all three by Des Barres, and Wonderful Tonight by Boyd. I think the ones by Des Barres are the most revealing and interesting, but the different sides Pattie writes about in her book is just as good. I never knew how aggressively devoted Clapton was in pursuing her.

• Katielady says:

For marianne, you will definitely want to read faithfull 1994 & memories dreams and reflections 2007. I also read an unauthorized book called tears go by written in 91 that was really good with lots of detail on her time on the streets and getting back on her feet.

2. Lori Lynn says:

I adore this. Her hair is amazing and about my length and it’s awesome to see someone rocking that length so dang well…I need inspiration-my top knot all day everyday is getting old real quick :) Xo Lori

3. Joy @ OSS says:

she looks amazing in everything. great inspiration!

4. Lauren says:

I agree with Lori, it’s nice to see someone rocking mid-length hair with so much class! I’m growing mine and it seems to be taking forever to get out of this stage. Marianne, it might seem a step down after Mick Jagger…but will you be my hair muse?

My favourite thing about these pictures is the humour and how much she seems to be enjoying every moment. It is sad to think that her life grew so much sadder after this point.

• Maggie says:

I think it’s important to mention that she pretty much picked herself off of the floor and had a comeback in 1979. She kicked her drug habit and her life has been great ever since.

You’re right- it was a bit unfair. These style posts are usually just meant to be visual inspiration for personal style, but I like to include very brief information about the person behind the style. I should’ve ended on a more positive note. I changed it a bit, and no longer say that she ruined her voice. I personally don’t enjoy her voice after its change, but that’s not to say that others don’t or that it is ruined. Cheers!

5. She was so gorgeous indeed but her voice is terrible now, that is is so crazy to think she used to have a sweet little voice. hehe
    Love her fashion style though!

6. Jul says:

I fell in love with her since I saw her on “The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus”. She’s an amazing artist. I was quite surprised when I heard her voice recently in the album Before the Poison though, it became quite hoarse. Her style is simply amazing anyways, and I LOVE her haircut <3

7. Maggie says:

I think it’s quite unfair to say she “ruined her voice” and just basically stop the article with that. Her voice changed drastically, but to me the article sort of implies her life turned into shit forever after the 60s. She had a comeback in 1979 with “Broken English” and has recorded dozens of albums since then. I think that’s worth mentioning.

8. isa says:

She’s beautyfull her face is so perfect ,she has a lot of talent and a amazing voice.
    I love her styles and her story , cause she was the muse of jagger