If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium 1969

If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium, 1969

Traveling through Europe in the 196os would simply be a dream. But traveling through Europe in only 18 days with a bus full of kooky Americans in the 1960s? Well, that would be a mouthful, and also a fun movie. All of those stereotypes about American travelers are exaggerated and given a decidedly 1960s slant in this lighthearted comedy that follows the short stories of each traveler.

If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium, 1969If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium, 1969If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium, 1969

Each character is traveling to Europe for different reasons, whether it be to get a lusty teenager daughter away from her boyfriend, to decide on a marriage proposal, to relive the memories of old army days, to meet distant relatives, or to pick up women, they all have their little stories that delightfully play out on the trip. The main story centers on the tour guide director, Charlie Cartwright, who uses his job to maintain relationships with women all around Europe. He sets his cap towards a pretty American lady on his tour, but she easily pegs him as a womanizer and shows no interest in his advances. At first, that is. But soon enough, his attempts at winning her over turn from just a  conquest to real love.

If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium plays out like a serie sof vignettes, following characters who are interesting in their own odd ways. The vignettes are intertwined with each character’s story, coming together to create a quirky little story that certainly isn’t life changing, but is still a fun look at humanity, and more specifically, the 1960s American. I enjoyed the movie for its cultural themes (you all know I love the 1960s!) and light viewing content. I love heavy hitting dramas, but sometimes a fluffy movie like this is just the ticket, wouldn’t you say? If you’re looking for a modern-day comparison, I would say it’s like Valentine’s Day (2010) or New Year’s Eve (2011). It has a well-rounded cast of character actors and its plot offers a little something for everyone.

1. Chloe Moon says:

1) I LOVE old 60’s movies, 2) I love the modern Valentine’s day because of all the interwoven stories, & 3)This sounds like the perfect movie to see!! I wonder if Netflix’s has it or my library!! It looks like it’ll be a hoot!! =)

Yep, Netflix has it! This isn’t the same as Valentine’s Day, where the stories inadvertently intertwine through happenstance. This is intertwined because they are all on a European bus tour together. But still, their stories are separate. :) I hope you enjoy it!

2. Oooo I can’t wait to stream this, it looks so fun! I, too, love the 60s movies!!

3. Wendy says:

Thank you for the movie reviews, I enjoy the way that you create them with the images. I’m always looking for an older film to watch & your reviews come in handy! :)

4. Danielle E says:

Are they indeed in Belgium? I was there on my honeymoon and am up for any excuse to remember it. The screen shot of the pen on the beer head makes me want to cry a little. Having it is amazing and not the same as an import. :P

Actually, they stop at lots of European cities during their tour, but I don’t remember if that scene was in Belgium or not. If you have Netflix, it’s available on streaming. You should give it a go!

5. Meredith says:

Haven’t heard of this one! Before your even mentioned those rom-com holiday movies with multiple storylines, I thought “wow, this movie is way ahead of its time.” AND it has style to boot. I’m in. Will have to get my hands on this!

6. Sarah says:

I nearly teared up with joy seeing this title!! This is one of my favorite movies :) My mom saw this back in the day and for years would talk about it until one day she found it (like 10 years ago) on VHS tape at a thrift and we both watched it together and laughed! Very enjoyable. I was also delighted that the 60’s folksinger Donovan makes an appearance in the youth hostel (i’m a big fan).
    One of my favorite scenes is the short collage of Carnaby street backed with 60’s garage pop :)
    Thank you Mandi- I always love reading your blog,especially the movie summaries.