WHAT I WORE: White Lapel

Sometimes people ask me for advice on how to dress for your body type. I have mentioned once or twice that I tend to be a bit headstrong about what I wear, taking no heed of social norms or fashion faux pas. But if I’m really honest with myself, there are certain cuts and styles that flatter my body type, and I do feel better when wearing them. Right now a big thing for me is playing down my bust and hips.

I don’t really know the rules of how to dress for my body type, but I’ve certainly had a lot of trial and error, and I can certainly say that this dress makes me feel great! And I think I’ve figured out why. I think the large lapel helps to balance out my larger bust, and the large flower also draws the eye up and away from my boobs. The a-line skirt is also flattering because it accentuates my true waist and doesn’t hug my hips at all. Makes me feel confident enough to trump around in polka dot tights and a big, black hat!

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

hat: Avenue Antiques (Canton, O.) | flower: Secret Past (Cuyahoga Falls) | belt: my grandmother’s
dress: Olive You Vintage on Etsy | tights: ASOS | shoes: Clever Nettle on Etsy

1. Laura says:

you look lovely in that dress, and the tights are really pretty too! x

2. Anissa says:

Your dress is gorgeous and I love, love, love those polka dot tights!

3. Angelica says:

Look at that waist!! I love the tights :)

4. Suzy8track says:

Adorable outfit, really love the big lapels on the dress!

5. Kati says:

Love your outfit, especially the dress and tights! I’m also really liking your blog – keep up the good work!

Have a wonderful day,
    -Kati

6. I just got a huge spike in my store Oliveyouvintage and it is all thanks to you. I am glad I found yor blog and completely jealous. I will be a huge follower. Also, the dress looks fabulous on you!! Emily

7. You always wow me! Fabulous!

8. Lisa L. says:

You are a stunner.

Always,
    Mostly Lisa

9. paula strong says:

you are BEAUTIFUL i wish more people dressed for their own than what social life has said

10. Catherine Pepper says:

You look amazing, it has taken me years to find the confidence not to dress the norm. Ps Lucy is THE most beautiful bub xx

11. Caroline says:

always so lovely :D

12. Kristian says:

Oh, I love this on you so much!

13. You always look so lovely in hats. I think it is great that you know how to dress various body types. Your eyes are really lovely. I like the shade of them!

14. Raquel says:

I definitely think you look GORGEOUS in anything.

15. Kelly says:

I try to minimize those same places and find it very hard. Thanks for the inspiration.

16. You always look very comfortable in your clothes and well put together, so you’re definitely doing it right. I struggled with my own figure quite a bit for a long time (small boobs, little hips) and felt like I was always searching for clothes that made me have a more womanly figure, but it seems like the older I get, the less I really care about my lack in curves and have found clothes that make me feel good because they seem to represent a part of who I am inside.

17. skye says:

I’ve been lurking for quite a while. Here goes my first comment! Your style has hugely influenced mine. I love how internally consistent it manages to be, without being boring or predictable.

My favorite thing about this outfit is the rather prim nun-like dress juxtaposed with the tattoo.

Thanks for delurking! :) It means a lot to me to hear that. And I’ve got to say, I think the tattoo saves me from looking too matronly many a time. Ha!