WHAT I WORE: How This Girl Wore a Turtleneck

So, I guess turtlenecks are back in?! This is good news for people with poor insulation who live in the north. (Me! Me!) Although I’m pretty into vintage fashion, I’m still somewhat swayed by modern trends. As an avid blog reader, I’m inundated with posts from fashion weeks all around the globe as well as collection reveals from designers months before they’re scheduled to be released in stores. This means I’ve been seeing turtlenecks for a while now, so maybe through osmosis my brain started to think to itself NEED TURTLENECK(S).

So now I have two turtlenecks! Wonderful. But with my larger bust (Hello breast milk factories. Ugh.) and recovering postpartum waistline, I wasn’t ready to sport my new turtlenecks with just a skirt or pair of trousers. That just wouldn’t have been flattering at all. (Believe me, I tried. And almost cried.) So, I headed out to the thrifts and found one flattering scoop-neck jumper for two dollars (yippee!) and then stumbled on this particular vintage blue jumper from Thrifty Vintage Kitchen on Etsy (the shop owner, Christy, is a Making Nice in the Midwest blog reader!). The v-neck is perfect to balance out my bust and the height of the turtleneck. So hooray for me! I can wear a turtleneck and feel good about myself. And warm.

On a side-note, Phil and I realized just how poorly insulated out attic is. We were the only house on our street with melting snow on our roof. I guess that explains our gas bill! Oops!

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

turtleneck: Macy’s (grab one- they’re on sale!) | jumper: Thrifty Vintage Kitten | tights: ASOS
shoes: ASOS | necklace: family heirloom | scarf: hand-me-down from my “second-mom”

1. Marianne says:

I love your style! I do have one question though, and it is a tad personal, but here it goes:

if you are a breastfeeding mom, how do you get access to the milk supply in a jumper like this? I am sincerely curious, since I feel like I have to box up half my clothes when I’m breastfeeding because I don’t have easy access.

Thanks!
    M

Great question! I actually wondered if anyone would wonder that. ha! So here’s the deal. When I was near the end of my pregnancy I freaked out and thought I would need all of these button-up things to be able to nurse when I leave the house. But then a few things happened. One- I realized that button-down things still don’t allow for modest public nursing as a top and bottom combination does (at least not with my body type). Two- I am not stealthy enough to be comfortable nursing in public. So I just don’t. I always go to my car or to a a bedroom (if I’m at someone’s house) to nurse. Three- Phil’s school pulled funds to buy me a really nice breast pump! So now I don’t have to nurse in public. So I pump everything before I leave, sometimes have to pump in the car, or pump again when I get home. I exclusively breastfeed Lucy when we’re at home or at my parents/in-laws, but when I go anywhere else I usually take a bottle unless I’m wearing something that makes breastfeeding easier, like a top and bottom combination.

Also, around the house I still wear this outfit and just hike up my dress to nurse her. Obviously won’t be doing that when my in-laws come over tonight! :) I’ll give her a bottle then to make it easier, and pump before they get here.

• Marianne says:

I applaud you for still looking cute and not compromising on style because of breastfeeding and Hail to the breast pump! I usually gave up pumping after 10 minutes.

2. kris says:

Hot Mama! You look fantastic!

3. Et tu, tutu? says:

Your tights are adorable!

-Lindsey

4. Kristian says:

I think Turtlenecks look very gamine (unfortunately, wearing them give me a headache). I like the scarf with it.

5. irene wibowo says:

i really like your tight. .:) pretty outfitt too .:)Irene Wibowo

6. despite all those things you are going through with returning to your “normal body”, I think you look incredible and I love this outfit. I have never worn a turtleneck as they scare me and I sweat a lot as it is, but you rocked it.

7. kristy says:

Hi! Love your blog and also your outfits. I’m from Canada and it get’s a bit nippy in the fall and winter months so I have a healthy collection of turtlenecks. They’ve never really have gone out of style for me as I’ve always been fond of wearing them under jumpers or shifts. It means that I can wear a shift, depending on its colour, all year round. I’ve got two turtlenecks that date back to 2001 still in my closet that I wear often that I cannot let go of. They’ve surprisingly held up well in the last 12 years. It drives my mother batty; she’s always asking me if I’ve thrown those things out yet.

8. Haley says:

I love, love, love those tights!!!

9. Mandi

I think you look absolutely amazing. You have such a great style and this has continued now you are a new mummy. The tights are super awesome. Thank you for sharing your personal story.

10. liz says:

Love this look on you! Seriously Mandi, you are gorgeous!

I also wondered about the breast feeding question, haha.

11. kara says:

I love your jumper, I pinned it and have been thinking about making something very similar from my double knit stash. So retro scooter cool. I still have a turtleneck sweater I haven’t worn in a couple years but was too cute to purge. Maybe under a jumper I could make it work? Thanks for the inspiration! You’re rocking hot in this outfit!!

12. Suzy8track says:

Love your outfit, especially those stripey tights! Very cute! I’m usually not a fan of turtlenecks and am always tugging at them because they feel too tight around my throat…but it looks really nice on you.

13. Anne says:

I have that exact same vintage scarf! Got it at a thrift store. I’ll have to wear mine like this soon.

14. This is so cute! And I LOVE those tights. I think it’s time to invest in some good semi-sheer patterned tights now that the weather is getting a tad warmer (but still cold enough to need tights…)

15. I would love to know the color of lipstick you are wearing in these picks!

16. Me says:

My mother used to almost sedate me when I was young to stop me from taking my turtlenecks off two minutes after dressing me… Something about catching my death with cold, I think.

Now, I’m more than happy to wear them most of the time when the weather cools down.