DIY | Perfectly Fluffy Pom Poms

The perfectly fluffy pom pom can be a frustrating thing to make! I’ve done my fair share of pom pom making, and finally discovered the perfect way to make them- without even needing to shape them with scissors at the end. Finally! Another multi-tasking craft to do while watching Netflix in the evenings.

I used my pom poms to make a garland over our windows and to decorate wrapped gifts. (I’ll show you those later!) But for now, here’s how you can make your own- and if you’re interested, here‘s the video I watched to learn how to make them.

Find a small piece of cardboard (I used a flap from a cardboard box) and trace a circular object from around your home, and a smaller one inside of it. Do this twice and cut out around the circles and inside of them. It’s okay, and even helpful, to have a slit on your circle in order to cut out in the inside.

Next, stack the two circular pieces of cardboard on top of each other and wrap with lots and lots of yarn. I wrap 6 strands of yarn at once, to save time and joints while wrapping- this is the most time consuming part. After you’ve wrapped it so much that you can barely wrap any more, cut the yarn around the edges, sliding your scissors in between the two pieces of cardboard to make sure you’re trimming it on center. After trimming, slide a long piece of yarn in between the two pieces of cardboard and tie very tightly, double and triple knotting it to keep the yarn secure. Now pull off the cardboard, and your pom pom is complete! So fluffy, and no extra trimming necessary!

Tip: A lower ply yarn (I like the 3 ply soft baby yarn for this) makes a more sumptuous pom pom. It will take longer to wrap, so you will want to warp about 6 strands of yarn at a time.

1. Great, it reminds me of my old crafty days when I was young and used to make them for fun. Some “vintage” pleasure to pick uo again, for sure. :-)

2. Hebe says:

Oh wow! This reminds me of being at school – I used to love making these :) x

3. irene wibowo says:

so cute :)Irene Wibowo

4. Sarah says:

I haven’t made these since I was a child, but can’t wait to try it again.

5. This is exactly how I made them a year and a half ago when my brother married and I did his decorations. Love the colors you chose.

6. heidi says:

These are perfectly fluffy! I’ve been making pom poms all week for Christmas Crafts. I’m making them using a fork instead of cardboard. Here’s a tutorial for how I’m doing them: http://aweekfromthursday.com/2012/12/how-to-make-a-pom-pom-using-a-fork/

I use the fork method when I made the pom pom garland for Lucy’s room. (http://makingniceinthemidwest.com/2012/09/12/babys-bedroom-tour-making-nice-in-the-nursery/) It was fast, but I wasn’t satisfied with the result- lack of fullness and an odd shape, so I had to trim them afterwards. Even after trimming they still didn’t look as awesome as trying it this way. Not to be too critical, but that’s why I wanted to share this different method of making them- I couldn’t believe how fluffy and perfect they came out compared to the fork method! Also, I found that wrapping multiple strands of yarn at a time around the cardboard circles isn’t too time consuming, and the thick result is worth the extra effort.

7. Sarah says:

Oh this is so great! I have tried the other way too but it wasn’t fluffy enough. I’m so glad I came upon your tutorial this looks so much better! I have a project I have wanted to do with pom poms forever but couldn’t get them right… finally I can finish!

8. jyoti says:

wow those looks cute and very flufffffyyyyy! i love those fluffy soft things!!! aww!

9. magneticpanda says:

Thank you so much for the post! I tried other methods too but this really does produce the fluffiest pompoms! I think it has something to do with the tension whilst cutting that you get from this kind of wrapping. I made a GIANT one for the top of a hat but now I want to make a garland like in your picture :D!