Our Dining Room (so far) and a Paint Horror Story

Remember my recent thrift store score? Well, I thought I’d share them in action! I’m now on the hunt for new eiffel bases for them, but in the meantime, I’m pretty happy with how our dining room is coming together! Now the paint color…? That’s another story.

When we moved in to our house last January, Phil and friends worked to move everything from our third floor apartment, while my dad and I went out to buy insulation and wall paint. (Yep, that’s right- our Northeast Ohio home wasn’t even insulated when we moved in- in the middle of Winter!) I was exhausted, and wanting to get back to unpacking dishes and such, so I quickly picked out a paint color, “elephant gray,” and in my impatience, didn’t even bring home the swatch to ruminate on the color for a while. Since I was pregnant at the time, I didn’t participate in the painting process, but hid away at my parents, eagerly waiting for the fumes to die down so I could take a gander at the new look for our dining room, laundry room, and living room.

Well, when I saw the color… I didn’t love it. Though I didn’t hate it, either, so I figured maybe it was just a shocking change from my usual white, and I might grow to love it. But after a few months with the color, I had become used to the color, but still didn’t like it. It’s how I imagine wearing someone else’s favorite jeans might feel. Sure, they might look nice on the hanger, but they just don’t fit right on me. So, I’m looking forward to repainting! I just need to settle on a color. This time I’ll bring home the paint swatch and stare at it for a while. Hey, maybe I’ll even get a sample paint can, before asking someone to cover our walls with three gallons of paint when I’m not even there to see it….. Well, you live, you learn, eh?

1. Hi, the grey is nice, maybe you would like it more if it were more dramatic? Say more saturated? Good luck with the next choice ;-)

2. Love this. It looks amazing.

3. Kristian says:

It’s sad that it is not a color you love, though I do really like how the room looks. It allows the new-to-you white chairs to pop in the best way!

Thanks for sharing your dining room with us.

4. Maggie says:

I really like that rug. Can you please tell me about it — where you got it, etc.? Thanks!

5. Charlotte says:

I think it’s lovely! I totally painted my living room/dining room as well as the nursery when I was pregnant, I just wore a mask and left the windows open over night. I wanted to be there to halt the operation if I hated the color!

6. Love this room!!!!

And I like the paint color! I think it looks great with the rug and the other things in the room. Paint color is such a hard decision.
    I’ve got a horror story too. Flashback almost 6 years ago. We just bought our house. I picked the palest pink paint color imaginable for my baby’s bedroom. Pale pink…as in white with a hint of pink. My husband went to Lowes realized he had forgoten the paint card at home…and he thought ok well she wants pink so he bought pink. He bought pink alright. I kid you not it was the color of pepto bismol and I wish I was exaggerating!!!! IT.WAS.A.NIGHTMARE. We hadn’t yet installed blinds and it was afterdark when I drove up and could see the pink glowing from the window. We had some words lets just leave it at that.
    Needless to say I had to repaint it. But not after suffering with it for about 2 years! hahahaha
    So as you mentioned in your post: If i’m not doing the painting I need to be there to supervise! And I am now a firm believer in sample cans. Bring them on!!!

7. Lesley says:

I really like the grey but you’re the one who has to live in it. :) I love your rug too!

8. Vanessa says:

I think you’re totally right. The grey is a beautiful color, but it doesn’t seem to fit with your design aesthetic so much. Can’t wait to see what you choose!

9. sarah says:

I love the chairs! Any my bedroom is actually painted gray, just a shade lighter than your walls it looks like, but it makes a big difference in light! I can’t wait to see what you pick out!

10. Suzy8track says:

Love your chairs and rug! Room is really coming together. Hopefully you will be able to find the perfect paint color to compliment it all….but so far it’s really looking great!

11. I love the color though, but my opinion doesn’t matter. Because you are the one who live there and you should change it, if you don’t really enjoy it.

Btw, you have a really nice blog :) I’m your new follower <3

Love,
    Caroline

12. Cami says:

Hello,

What a gorgeous and very homey great dinning area! I personally love all the touches you put on it, the wooden sign, the plants, the rustic table and the chairs (which I might say with the Eiffel legs will be amazing!)

I am sad you do not like the walls, I love that color and I think it goes great with what you have going on… but I understand, sometimes my friends tell me that they like the cream walls that came with our house (that we are slowly painting) but I just do not feel it is “me” if that makes any sense.

oh well.

Thank you for sharing, very inspiring!

13. Kate says:

Gray is my favorite neutral and the one you choose is warm and not cave-like, which is lovely. After having a gray bedroom (with pink accents) for a few years, I now want something that reflects more light! I can’t wait to see what you choose and I love your chairs! Maybe the thrifting is better in northern Ohio than southern? ;)

14. isabelle says:

how funny! the first thing iIthought when I saw the photos was “oh man, I love that color!” ah well, to each their own I suppose. everything else looks great as well. very sophisticated.

15. Amanda says:

Love your kilim rug!

16. Melissa says:

I love the whole room! Obsessed with your hutch! Can you tell me more about it? It looks vintage, it is amazing!

Thank! I found the hutch at a thrift store, actually, for $50 bucks! I don’t know anything about it, except that it seems like a late 60s or 70s piece, as far as the styling goes.

17. paula strong says:

I like how the gray looks makes you notice the rug as art on the floor. i suggest putting color other places so that you see less wall color and you only notice the other things you love

18. Yelle says:

Newest follower here! So glad that I found your blog! I think I really like that color, especially against the brick on the wall. The tones seem to match effortlessly!

Thanks! I thought they would compliment well, and they do. I like the color in an objective way, but it just doesn’t feel right in my own home. It’s a weird thing to have “feelings” about a paint color! haha

19. It looks so very very very very pretty!

20. Orchid Grey says:

I’m pretty sure this is the same color we painted our living room in our last apartment, and while I loved the idea of a soft grey, this just wasn’t “it” for me either- and I think I know why (at least for me, could be completely different for you): it looks different in every kind of light. Sometimes it looks lavender, sometimes grey, sometimes oddly yellow. It’s a color I want to try again if we ever have a house to paint, but i think I’ll look for a slightly cooler tone.

Regardless, the space you’ve created looks amazing! I love how clean and simple you’ve kept the walls, with the rug and curio cabinet for added texture. Beautiful as always!

21. michelle in montana says:

I really love the grey walls! They photograph really well, but I know firsthand that photographs do not do justice to the actual scene.
    I have a three tone grey bathroom, and it is most lovely to add pops of color to. Grey matches everything!

22. Katrin says:

I actually love the color! The room looks great!

23. AlexM says:

Hi Mandi,
    nowadays it’s not difficult to find water-bases paints: eco-friendly, no odour and VOCs:) And really nice quality (and washable)
    I understand why you got tired of this colour:)

You’re right! I did find some, but the paint I purchased was less expensive. It wasn’t terribly odorous, but I decided to stay away from the house during painting anyway, just to be safe and to be extra protective of my baby. :)