Movie Monday: The Glass Bottom Boat 1966

Jennifer Nelson (Doris Day) is a pretty young widow who spends her work days at an aerospace research facility (think: NASA) as a tour guide, warding off flirtatious menfolk left and right. Her most recent male annoyance turns out to be Bruce Templeton (Rod Taylor), one of the bosses of the facility, and pretty charming at that. Bruce and his business partner are ready to release a new innovation to aerospace research, something that the Russians are eager to get their hands on. But Mr. Templeton soon finds himself busy creating a fake project designed to woo Miss Nelson, who he has enlisted as his new assistant.

Mr. Templeton’s plan for romance seems to be working out just fine, as Jennifer finds herself falling for him and admiring his genius work in aerospace research. But through a series of hilarious misunderstandings, Mr. Templeton’s staff begin to suspect his new girlfriend of espionage. Trickery, hilarious spy games, and romance ensue as Jennifer finds herself caught up with the real spies, and Bruce has to defend her innocence and find a way to rescue her.

The Glass Bottom boat has a great cast of tried and true comedians at its helm, such as Paul Lynde, who coincidentally played the voice of Templeton the rat in Charlotte’s Web, and whose cross-dressing role in The Glass Bottom Boat is also a bit coincidental, considering Lynde’s role as an early(ish) Hollywood gay icon.

The plot is fairly fast paced, so don’t be surprised with within a matter of days, the characters find themselves head over heals in love (You mean that doesn’t happen in real life?) and involved in an international espionage incident. Doris Day entertains us with her wide eyed charm, fabulous wardrobe, and, of course, a classic rendition of Que Sera Sera (much more fun and light hearted than the version we see in The Man Who Knew Too Much). This is my favorite Doris Day film as far as her wardrobe and styling goes (her hair is exactly what I envisioned when I went for my last hair appointment!), and the set design is pretty great as well! This movie is loads of fun, and a treat for the eyes. I don’t think anyone can help liking it!

1. Meredith says:

Love this movie. (I think I’ve mentioned this before, actually!)
    Paul Lynde is probably my favorite character! Aaaand the opening credits music/theme song is so stinkin’ catchy. I may or may not know it very well ;)

2. Millie Motts says:

This has to be one of my all time favorites. What a wing-ding of a party! Poor Julius.

3. Kristian says:

This looks like a ton of fun! And your hair does look like this.

4. Your hair does look a lot like this!! I adore this film. I have it and need to see it again soon. I agree that Que Sera Sera is best in The Man Who Knew Too Much. That is one of my all time favorite movies though (since both my favorite actors are in it). I still think Calamity Jane is my favorite Doris Day film though. Anyway, This was still a lovely film!!! I still feel badly that they got rid of most of Doris Day’s freckles in her films. :( Poor pretty lady.

5. candace says:

Well alright, I’m adding it to the list :) Ever since I watched Pillow Talk (per your recommendation) and heard the Fresh Air interview with Doris Day, I’m a new big fan of hers…and this one sounds great!
    Love your Movie Monday feature!

Oh that’s so good to hear! Have you seen many of her movies yet? Must of them are silly, like this one and Pillow Talk, but I also loved her in her more serious role Victoria (above your comment) mentioned- Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much. Sooo good! It’s a remake of a film Hitchcock made earlier in his career, but I like it better than the original. It’s worth a look!

6. georgia says:

one of my favorite movies… introduced to me by my parents years ago. i don’t know why it’s not more of a classic than it is. dom deluise is hilarious in it. great flick! have you seen midnight lace with doris day? i had never seen it, but happened upon it recently… caught the last 3/4 of it. i enjoyed it a lot. it’s not a funny film, but nice to see day in a less whimsical film for once.

love your movie posts!! so many great films from the past to review… and watch!