Fashion Inspiration: 1969 BACK TO SCHOOL STYLE

Do you ever try to imagine yourself living in a different time? Sometimes I think about wearing corsets and cooking over a fire, but most often I envision myself living in the ’60s, when families rarely locked their doors, the Beatles were a new sensation, human rights activists were in full swing, and hey, you could still find a good mix of big hair and long, free flowing locks. Looking at these high school students from 1969, it’s confirmed. I can definitely see myself living amongst these kids, without their ever knowing I’m an impostor from the future.

So what do you think? What era would you like to slip into for a week, or maybe longer? Would you ever dress like these 60’s teens? I’m truly digging the suede, gingham, paisley, and the colors too! Mustard yellow, jewel purple, olive green… just take me back!

all images by Arthur Schatz for Life Magazine, found via Retronaut

1. Amanda says:

These are great shots. I want those knee socks.

2. Candace says:

I basically dressed like this all through High School…in the 90s! Corduroy bellbottoms are the best! :) I miss the days when “vintage” was just super cheap stuff you could find at every thrift store.

3. Karen A. says:

Boho chic! I love the 60s!

4. Maren says:

I want to BE that bohemian girl with the apple. Like, really.

5. Kristian says:

What fun photos! – even if I’m not sure whether I’d want to be living in some other time.

6. My parents were teenagers in the mid to late 60s (dad born 1947, mom 1950) and I loved how they both dressed as teens, though my mom was “homely” since her parents never bought them clothes and she worked early on to afford them, but got whatever was cheapest and didn’t follow fashion very much. . .but I used to gaze at all the pictures of her in the yearbooks she has (she actually has one of her covering a full page walking into her school and half a page of herself in other pictures). I used to want to be in that time period VERY badly, but now. . .not so much. The clothes are still lovely to me from about 1964-1968 though. I would rather go to school in the 40s for a week perhaps. That or the 1910s or 1890s! LOVE these shots you posted.

7. Meredith says:

May I refer you to one of my favorite Beach Boys’ songs, “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times”!

While I believe I was created and born for a purpose at just the right time, I often think how much I would have loved living in the late 1950’s/early 1960’s. I definitely gravitate towards clothes from those eras (especially ’50s), and most of my vintage clothing is from that time, too.

8. Becky W says:

Yes, yes and yes! Love late 60s-early 70s. Everytime I watch The Brady Bunch, Mary Tyler Moore show and The Partridge family I want to dive right in; part my hair down the middle and rock a groovy outfit complete with pendant necklace and tan leather handbag. In my head I DO live in that world.

9. Ashlee says:

I’ve always felt like I belonged in a different era! Place me any time in the 50’s to the 80’s and I’ll be a happy girl. Also, I went through a brief ‘Marie Antoinette’ phase, so heading back to the decadence of revolutionary France has always been appealing to me.

10. Wendy says:

These images are amazing!! I am with you, I completely adore the style and vibe of the late sixties. *drool*

11. Kellie says:

LOVE this post. Especially since my dad was a senior in high school that year, and my mom a sophmore.It’s crazy to think what back to school might have looked like for them. And I’m a bit jealous!