DIY | Colorful Cigarette Pants

In accordance with my plans for a pretty pregnancy on the cheap, I didn’t succumb to shopper envy when I saw these cute pink pants at ASOS. Would it be possible to DIY something similar? I wasn’t sure, but I had a plan to try it out. Well, of course, these trousers aren’t the exact same as the ASOS ones, but they certainly answer my craving for colorful legs!

These pants ended up costing a whopping total of $6, if you divvy out only the cost of the portion of dye that I used. I found a pair of horrid flared short kahkis (maternity style) at the thrift store for $3, and purchased some pink & fuschia Rit dye, as well as Rit color-stay potion (as I call it).

First, I layed out the pants and overtop, I layed a pair of stretchy cigarette pants that have a fit I already know I love. Using a water-soluable fabric pen, I traced around the inside of the legs, and used that line as a guide to stitch the inside of the kahki trousers. I stitched two lines of thread, so that the seams won’t bust when I wiggle around. Then I trimmed the excess fabric.

Next I filled the washing machine with hot water, poured in some pink dye and a splash of fuschia. I let the washer agitate for 60 minutes, and then let the cycle rinse and spin. After that, I filled the washer again with hot water, this time using the Rit color-stay agent. After that cycle was through, I tossed the pants into the dryer, and they were ready to wear!

This was such a fun project, I can definitely see myself making more pants- in all of the colors of the technicolor rainbow!

1. Ashlee says:

Look at you! Those pants look awesome and has me itching to DIY a pair of my own (because I, too, have been craving a pair of candy colored trousers). Being a college student I don’t exactly have the cash to indulge my need for peach or lilac pants that run north of $20! Haha. This has me inspired!
    Amazing stuff! Thanks for sharing! <3

2. they turned out terrific!! awesome idea and execution. :)

3. They look splendid! I am very inspired!
    Anna

4. What a wonderful job! They look perfect!

5. I LOVE dying clothes! It’s still magical to me, no matter how many times I do it :)

6. kelsie says:

you are so beautiful!

7. Anna D. says:

WOW! What a steal! Your pants turned out super cute and the colour is lovely! I’ve only dyed a shirt once [girl-scouts days] and it was tie-dye. This project makes me want to try the whole dying process again! Knowing I can choose whatever colour I want and do it is so much better than relying on manufacturers to make it for you. Especially since everything I want is almost always out of my budget. I just can’t get over how absolutely stunning you are in those pants!

8. Lin says:

You look so lovely! All the best to you and your (soon to be) little family <3

9. danielle says:

ooh la la! love that pink!

10. Jeanette says:

Wow! Thank you for that idea, your pants look lovely!

11. Lisa Hall says:

What a cool idea! I’ve never thought of dyeing using my washer.
    That seems much easier than the “bucket” method I use.
    Do you ever have any problems with leftover dye ruining any light clothes?
    I don’t know how that could happen, but I was just wondering.
    Thanks for a great, cute idea!
    Lisa H.
    lisastuf.blogspot.com

12. youre a genius! What a great idea!!!!

13. danielle says:

how fun and crafty!!

14. What a cute idea! And they look amazing.

15. Courteney says:

Love this! I’ve been looking for a pair of coral pants, but haven’t been able to find a pair for a good deal yet. Maybe I’ll just make my own… ;)

16. Ah! These look fab! And so do you, mama. Glowing!

17. steffy says:

they came out so cute! i love the pink!
    Xo,
    steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

18. Jamie says:

I’m not too adventurous with my wardrobe, but wow, you rock those pink pants and make me want a pair!

19. Umm…genius. And so cute! :) Off to search for white clothes on the cheap to dye…he he. You’ve inspired me!