INSPIRED BY: Earthy Colors in Vintage Homes

1b

Finding the perfect color scheme for a vintage home is so tricky! You don’t want your pad to look like a time capsule (Or do you? I don’t. But I can see the appeal, I suppose.), but you definitely want to honor the style of the house. I’ve been rounding up color inspiration from vintage magazines and ads to get some ideas for our home, because we have quite a bit of tacky color to cover up! This time I’m thinking about some earthy color schemes. I think any of these would work well in our modern age, don’t you? Which one’s your favorite? I think I like the sunny one best (two images down), but just don’t know if I have the guts to go that bright in our house. Ah, decisions, decisions!

For some extra color scheme inspiration, check out past featured vintage homes here. Thes images from this post were found via Flickr and are linked back to their Flickr source.

2b 3b 4b

1. So fun to look at vintage rooms. The colors always look so different, don’t they?? Very fun flashback!

2. Courteney says:

I adore the yellow! I’d do one wall in yellow (so as not to have it take over the room), if it were me. ;)

3. Sarah Starr says:

Those are awesome! I think the sunny one could be live-able if you scaled back the yellow…plus I have a real thing for plum lately (I feel like it’s my power color or something, ha!). My favorites are the jewel-tone sky and the neutrals w/green + blues :)

4. Tammy says:

My favorite one is the warm neutrals with blues and greens. But I may be biased because that’s how my home is- and I added in a bit of red. I do love the sunny one too though!

5. Fiona says:

I love the first one – I always struggle to choose between earthy tones & jewel colours, but that’s a beautiful blend. Noting this post down for when we move house and have to start thinking about colour schemes!

6. Courtney says:

mmmm love this! i want to go back in time!

7. kendra says:

that would be my dream house. a vintage home with classic “palm springs” decor. Or the dad’s house from the original Parent Trap!

8. Chanda says:

I really liked the sunshine & clay one. The other ones are nice too – especially if you get a lot of light.
    So, cool, you can come decorate my house now.

9. mandy ford says:

Oooh love these! The last one is my fave…but all of that midcentury modern goodness is so lovely!

10. oooo….I would love to take all of the furniture items of the first one and the credenza from the 2nd and blue chair from the 3rd

11. Maddie says:

I totally agree with you that the yellow one is my favorite. Be bold and do it (and post photos after, of course!)

12. Kit says:

I love them all but think the sunny one is my favourite too. Yellow is a scary colour, but I think a lot more versatile and approachable than the first impression it might give!

13. Oooh…go bright!! I like that sunny yellow mixedin with the jewel tones in the last image, too…dreamy!! :)