Movie Monday: A Little Romance 1979

As a married lady now in my late twenties, it's awfully easy to look at romance between youngsters with a heavy dose of skepticism. Far too quickly I forget the very real feelings of first love- when the heart first finds a match, and all the seriousness of love and feelings of adventure quickly follow. A Little Romance perfectly encapsulates these feelings with a beautifully nostalgic look at a charming little romance between an American girl and a French boy.

2 3

A Little Romance is more than just a character study of two kids so in love. Quite a little adventure unfolds for Lauren and Daniel, thanks to the unexpected involvement of the interesting old man they meet at the park- Julius, played by none other than Laurence Olivier. The shananigans which follow are much more believable than what you might have seen when the Olsen sisters visited Paris back in '99, and you might be surprised when you relate much more to the children than you do the adults. Just like a trip back to Junior High, actually!

4 5

Diane Lane shines in her debut role as a lonely girl with a high IQ and innocent affection for the quirky French boy who first introduces himself to Lauren with (capturing my heart) so many references to Bacall and Bogie. "Call me Bogie," he says. "Why?" "Because they belong together."

All in all, there's not much I can say without ruining the fun along the way, so I'll just tell you that A Little Romance is a refreshing and very charming look at the innocence and freedom of first love. Set in Paris and Italy. So, what more could you want?

6 7

1. Amanda says:

One of my favorites.

2. Anna D. says:

I totally saw this movie years ago on TCM! It is a cute little movie, and it’s crazy to see Diane Lane as a teenager.

3. Heather says:

Never seen this, but it looks/sounds so cute! I’ll definitely have to find this one!

4. Leah says:

Oh, I really like Diane Lane; didn’t even recognize her! I didn’t know this movie existed either, it sounds kinda cute :) thanks Mandi!
    -Leah
    SV

5. Sue says:

This is such an adorable film! I haven’t seen it in years, but I remember me and my sister going to the theaters to see this..yes I just dated myself and yes me and Diane Lane are about the same age. Both me and my sis loved this film! I did manage to see it just a few years ago, and I thought that the magical feeling I had when I first saw it, wouldn’t be the same this time around, but I was wrong. It is so romantic and sweet you can’t help but fall in love with the characters and the story. Really brought me back to those feelings I had when I was a teen.

6. Cathy says:

I was just in my first year of college in 1979, and worked at a movie theater where “A Little Romance” premiered. I loved it. So glad to see it’s still making people smile.

7. Katrina says:

that film sounds great! downloading it right now xx
    theyoungbridgetjones.blogspot.com

8. yvette says:

have u ever seen the movie ‘Melody’? :)

9. Marie says:

One of all-time favorites!

10. arun says:

what nice movie about two teenagers , wonderful story great actors.
    there s no violence ,no sex ,no politic.
    what happened to the boy thelenius bernard ???? where is he today ??