Movie Monday: The Mary Tyle Moore Show 1970-1977

Yeah, yeah… I know! Movie Mondays are usually reserved for, well…. movies! This I know. However, I recently discovered one can watch (for free!) seasons 1-3 of The Mary Tyler Moore show online! So you can probably guess what I've been doing with my down time.

I seriously cannot underestimate the influence 1970s television shows had one my personal style as a kiddo. These are the sitcoms I grew up watching on Nick and Nite and TV Land with my family. Makes it a little strange to think about this show being as old then as Full House is now…. Oh my. Will my future children be influenced by the primary colored room of the Tanner girls, as well as their asymettrical pony-tails? Here's hoping they'll be just as interested in the wholesome humor of 1970's Mary Tyler Moore.

2 3 4

Rewatching this favorite show not only brought a gush of gooey nostalgia, but also made me wonder if I underestimate the influence of Mary Richards's apartment on my own decor decisions. I mean, remove the shag carpet, change the "M" on the wall to an "A," switch up the fabric colors a little, and holy moly, it's a dream studio apartment! Alright, so I'd probably make a few more changes. But seriously, kids, it's a cool pad, am I right?

5 6 7

There's really just too much to say about this show. I love all of the characters, Mary's fun dreses and kooky belts, the dynamics at her office, the relatability of Mary's character, the step back in time to kitschy decor and polyester suits… What's there not to love?

I'm sure most of you remember this show fondly, and for those of you who have never seen it- well, what are you waiting for? I think you'll enjoy this mother-of-30-Rock sit com just as much as me. Now go forth, and watch!

8 9

1. shaunah says:

I used to watch MTM all the time—so cute & fashionable!

2. Ashley says:

My favorite!!!!!!!

3. Hannah B says:

I am in the same boat with you. I grew up watching this show on Nick at Night and it was one of my favorites. I always say I?m determined to not let the future lose appreciation for great things in the past. I want my kids to appreciate shows like this.

4. Kristsen says:

Love this show! The clothes are the best. It plays in my area every night on the antenna channels so I’ve been watching it a lot lately.

5. Suzy8track says:

Mary Tyler Moore was the best! I especially loved her groovy apartment!

6. Hanna says:

I don’t know the Mary Tyler Moore Show, but I will think about watching it. I grew up with the Cosby show, Full House and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (yeah, yeah, I know) and I still love a quiet evening with the Huxtables, I must admit.

7. Mandi says:

Hanna, me too! And Family Matters. I probably watched that one the most. Annnnd Fresh Prince, I watched that one a heck of a lot too. :)

8. kelly ann says:

YES! I love this show so much. The style, the colours, everything. I always wanted that chair with the yellow pillow in her living room by the windows. ;)

9. Courteney says:

I ADORE the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I also grew up watching this.
    I’ve also recently discovered the Bob Newhart show – which has ample 70’s decor/dress inspiration. ;)

10. Emily Keen says:

Hehe..I have spent many a weekend just watching hours and hours of Mary Tyler Moore on hulu. I love that show so much!!

11. Maren says:

ALL TIME FAVORITE. I mean, seriously. I have all but the last season on DVD. I would for sure list the clothes and decor in this show as my number one style icon. I sometimes think about taking a MTM tourism trip to Minneapolis. SO, maybe that even qualifies as obsession.

12. Krystle says:

mtm show is one of my favorites..i used to watch it with my grandma! always wanted to be mary when i grew up haha such an awesome apartment!
    ?
    Krystle

13. I’ve never seen it before – guess it didn’t make over the pond – so, THAT’S the girl from the Weezer song! Every picture is a treat – such colours, such outfits, such hair! And before you even said it, I was thinking “what a wicked flat!”

14. Naomi A. says:

I never gave the show much time of day when I was a kid (I was more into I Love Lucy), but now you’ve got me wanting to go back and discover it for myself!

15. Michelle e says:

I love love this show but hadn’t watched it until a few years ago and only the first season! But I agree – so great – and I love her style!

16. Sarah says:

I love Mary, and I love Rhoda even more!

17. I didn’t even know that was on Nick at Nite. Must have been after “my time”. I watched Laverne & Shirley on Nick at Nite when I was 14. I always wanted to see the Mary Tyler Moore show but never had before. Never had an opportunity to. Loved your review though.

18. Michelle R says:

An ultimate comfort show for me. Always manages to lift my spirits no matter what state they are in.
    Rhoda is just my favourite too.