DIY | Rigid Ribbon Headband
with video instructions

Headband1

Are you like me and have problems with ribbon headbands sliding off your alien shaped head? Okay, maybe your head isn’t shaped like an alien’s, but still, you might benefit from a rigid headband, right? Well, I’ve been experimenting with creating some headband stlyes, and thought I would share an idea with you! Imagine a ribbon style headband, with the security of a rigid shape, and the styling capabilities of a hair comb. Bam! I gotcha girl. Check out the supply list below to get started on making your own!

Headband2

I found all of these supplies for a great price at a local craft shop. The velcro you use should be at least the width of the ribbon you are using, and the headband form should also be a similar width. Grab some glue (hot glue works great for this project, actually!), scissors, and get going! Watch the video below to see how I made my headbands. (Oh, and by the way, isn’t Harriot the Head Mannequin looking lovely in her new yellow headband?!)

Do you have any favorite ways to wear headbands? If so, I’d love to know! I must admit, I’m rather out of headband practice since I last great out my bangs in 6th grade. Teach me your hairstyling ways! Oh, and if you try out this DIY, I’d love to see how it worked out for you!

Headband3

1. miss james says:

cute as can be you are mandi! love this. i think that milla plum and i will have a ball making them. xo!

2. Hanna says:

This is a perfect idea (i have that exact problem). Will add a ribbon headband like this one to my 2012 craft to-do list!

3. Vivianna says:

This is a great idea! I want to make a few ;) thank you!

4. Mandi says:

If any of you are planning on making these, I have a couple of things I should’ve noted!
    1. Tacky Glue might not be the best choice of adhesive for fabric. Hot glue would probably be better!
    2. You might try wrapping the headband form with a wide ribbon or fabric, because I wasn’t satisfied with the gap that happened between the velcro and ribbon, on account of the thickness of the headband. So, wrappint the band would prevent that.
    Have fun, kids! :)

5. My head isn’t alien-esque, but it is freakishly large. This looks pretty handy, I’ll have to give it a whirl :)

6. Miki says:

Cool tutorial! Thanks for sharing! ;D
    Hope you have an awesome year!
    Miki.

7. malia says:

love the video! I looked at your others..makes me want to try making kettle corn now!
    TheLadyWaits

8. emma says:

i too have an alien shaped head! this is perfect.

9. Cupkay says:

This is seriously brilliant. I’m doing it this weekend.
    I love this DIY <3333

10. Bianca says:

Awesome tutorial lady :) I am always disappointed at the range of hair accessories around to buy. I should have always known the answer lied in my craft drawers.

11. Anne Marie says:

I have the same problem! This is a great idea!!

12. Megan A. says:

Ohmygosh! I’ve been trying to figure out how to make this exact sort of headband! I wanted a velvet ribbon headband: hot glue would not make the bow stick together, fabric glue didn’t work either. Maybe the Tacky Glue will work. Thanks for the tutorial!

13. Lene says:

I would make the middle part of the ribbon around the whole headband and not only around the ribbon itsself, so it would stay better. I would have fear, it could fell of… :)

14. blair says:

loved the video. and the music! such a cute headband. must make a few!