Movie Monday: An Affair to Remember 1957

An-Affair-to-Remember

An Affair to Remember is considered one of the greatest romance movies of all time. Even modern movie-goers who have never seen it still find themselves somewhat familiar with the movie, because modern movie-makers can’t help but pay homage to the old romance by showing the movie playing in the background, or even by having characters refer to it in their conversations. (Sleepless in Seattle, anyone? Although I suppose that movie’s hardly modern any more. Sigh.)

An-Affair-to-Remember-2An-Affair-to-Remember-3 An-Affair-to-Remember-4

The movie, so beautiful to watch, has such subtleties in the acting that before you realize what’s happened, you’re completely invested in the character’s lives as though they might be your own. Nickie Ferrante (played by Cary Grant) is an infamous playboy, though recently engaged to a rich American woman, who finds himself completely intrigued by Terry McKay (Deborah Kerr) while cruising his way back to the sates on an ocean-liner filled with busy-bodies and gossipers. Terry surprisingly shows no interest in Nickie, probably encouraging his affections even more than if she had. But of course, though she has been in a long-term relationship with a rich and affectionate man of her own, she begins to fall hard for Nickie, as he does for her.

The two of them decide to try to make it on their own, without being “kept” by their wealthy partners who can only give them mere illusions of love. If after six months, Terry and Nickie still want to be together and have been successful at supporting themselves, they decided they would meet at the top of the Empire State Building to being their new lives together.

An-Affair-to-Remember-5 An-Affair-to-Remember-6 An-Affair-to-Remember-7

Without telling you what happens, I must say, I might liken this plot-line to a modern-day Jane Austen type of romance. Forbidden love between two poor people who are betrothed to others to improve their social situation. They go six months without even talking to each other, and there are so many things that should be said. The scene where they do see each other again is so filled with tears (in my own eyes more than their own), that I couldn’t help but think of Elinor and Edward at the end of Sense and Sensibility. Such an amazing emotional scene!

So if you like 1950s Americana, if you adore romance, and if you don’t mind a lump or two in your throat (and maybe even tears!), An Affair to Remember is for you. Its smart sensibilities are universally adored, and guess what ladies, I think you could even convince your man to enjoy this one on a date night. (Pssst! I even caught a glisten in Phil’s eye at the end!)

An-Affair-to-Remember-8 An-Affair-to-Remember-9 An-Affair-to-Remember-10 An-Affair-to-Remember-11

1. Rochelle says:

I loves me some Cary Grant!!

2. Anita says:

One of my very favorite “old” movies! And that says a lot; the list of my favorites is LONG.
    You wrote a wonderful synopsis, and without even a hint at the ending to boot. Great job!
    xo, Anita

3. Sue says:

One of my favorites! Always makes me cry at the end.

4. Cristina says:

I haven’t scene this movie in years!! Thanks for reminding me about it!!
    Love your BLOG
    xo
    cck
    peekbrooklyn.com

5. Alrighty. A Movie Monday it is. I am going to watch this right now!!! I have seen Sleepless in Seattle so many times. I should have watched this years ago!!!
    anna
    ps. wonderful enticing writing…

6. Anne Marie says:

This is one of my favorite movies of all time!! Gets me every time.

7. Carmen says:

I love Sleepless in Seattle! Another oldie but a goodie has to be Breakfast at Tiffany’s! :-) Cary Grant is awesome.

8. Makena says:

This movie is definitely one of my favorites! I always end the movie in tears. Beautiful characters and you can’t help but love Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr!!
    P.S. I am in love with your blog. Absolutely wonderful.
    momentsof-eternity.blogspot.com

9. Kailey says:

Gahh, you have such a stunning blog! I adore this movie, and the way you have laid this post out is just gorgeous!

10. Rae Veda says:

That movie looks so cute. I may just have to find it and watch it myself. xo, rv

11. Jenny says:

This is one movie that I watched with my grandmother when I was younger. It is still one of my favorites due to its beautiful imagery and story line. I love the stills you picked!

12. AgA says:

I love Your blog :)
    Best wishes from Poland.
    AgA

13. Maria says:

I actually had never heard of this movie until I saw Sleepless in Seattle. I put it on my mental “to watch” movie list and I finally got around to seeing it last year. loved it!

14. Lori says:

just watched that on a whim during a recent late night knit-a-thon. so beautiful. I keep thinking about the lawn chairs on the deck of the ship by the pool. also the clothes!! that sheer dress she is wearing when she meets grandma? beautiful. pretty much everything she wears.

15. Tasha says:

I love any movie with Carey Grant. He’s one of my favorite actors from old Hollywood.
    Nice blog by the way!

16. Ali says:

I love this movie. I love how it’s in Sleepless in Seattle too! It’s so funny.

17. Carole says:

I have also made a list of favorite old movies. This is the last post in a series on them http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/movies-to-re-watch-sometime-part-viii.html