Wardrobe | Smoke and Mirrors in the Morning

2011_11_05b

I have to snort a little (in the most ladylike way possible, of course) when I see this place labeled as a “fashion blog.” (Now you’re thinking I’m delusional. You’re thinking, wait… isn’t this a fashion blog?!) Yeah, yeah… I suppose I do frequently patter on about fashion here, don’t I? I concede that while I consider myself a lifestyle blogger, I do post a lot of outfits here because (1.) I think it’s fun, and (2.) I hope you guys like it too! But, I certainly don’t daily share my outfits, and sometimes it’s even a struggle to share just two outfits a week.

You see, I quite frequently wear the same outfit over and over, and sometimes I feel what I’m wearing just isn’t “blog worthy,” or else I might feel self-conscious about my makeup-free face or limp locks I’ve just lazily let air dry. But today? I thought hmm…. sure, I rolled out of bed, only bothering to brush my teeth and throw on an outfit I’ve already worn twice this week. Yes, the only makeup I’m wearing is a quickly applied coat of lipstick, and yes, I’m hiding my frumpy hair with a hat. But why not share that with you? I mean, you probably wouldn’t even notice. We tend to be our own worst critics, am I right?

I suppose you could say I am a master at convenience and camouflage. Through the years, I’ve learned how easy it is to roll out of bed and head to an early breakfast without looking like a slob. You see, I don’t particularly relish spending hours in front of the mirror. Besides, I think vanity is a precarious thing I’d rather avoid. So what I’m trying to say is that you can feel pretty and put-together in simple ways, even if it’s only rewearing a tired outfit (that you know works for your body and looks lovely), and hiding your grooming laziness with lipstick and a hat. (Super gummy giggle smiles help too!)

2011_11_05c2011_11_05e 2011_11_05 2011_11_05d

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

dress: The Rag Refinery | jacket: Hidden Pearl | vintage fur: Hidden Pearl | hat: thrifted
purse: thrifted | tights: thrifted | shoes: Clever Nettle | collared shirt: thrifted

1. Laney says:

Fabulous! I love you honesty in sincerity. It is wonderful. And by the way, you look incredible without makeup!
    Laney
    laneyyankovich(at)hotmail(dot)com

2. Mackenzie says:

You don’t look like you just rolled out of bed at all!
    I think I’m going to use some of this advice for the mornings when I work at 6. It’s far to early to be creative with my wardrobe so I usually end up in a plain tee shirt and jeans. I need to come up with a few ‘go-to’ outfits early in the morning because when I’m at work in jeans and a tee I start to fell really self conscious because it’s not the most flattering thing I could be wearing.
    Great post!

3. Amy says:

This is exactly why I love lifestyle/fashion blogs. It’s not about the clothes so much as it’s about finding inspiration in people’s daily outfits. I never ever read the fancy pants style blogs because it’s completely fake–and that is also why I read yours avidly. You are real and your outfits are real and something I could put together, and that is what I find incredibly inspiring. :)

4. Emily Keen says:

You’re so cute!! I have always loved the way you post all sorts of things in your life. It’s so interesting that you have all these different directions your blog can go in. And your personal style is super amazing…which adds to the appeal of your blog.
    And side note: How I wish I could roll out of bed with just a coat of lipstick. My dark circles and pale skin lend to a zombie effect early in the morning. I could only dream to look as radiant as you do:)

5. Maren says:

You look great! I have to laugh a little bit that you consider this your rolled-out-of-bed look because for me anything that involves tights is definitely a serious DRESSED UP EFFORT look. Ha!

6. Kyla says:

You look adorable here! I actually wear the same outfits over and over too, and a lot of times I don’t feel “blogworthy”. But you’re right, usually my favorite outfits are the ones I wear most often, and they can feel fresh with a fresh attitude :)

7. Courteney says:

I love this post. This is what I wish more people would realize–that it doesn’t take very much time or effort to look classy.
    I seriously feel like a good pair of tights with a cotton dress is just as comfortable as wearing jeans and a t-shirt. And looks WAY better. :)

8. You always look so nice and put together even if you did just roll out of bed. I have a weird issue where I don’t like to wear the same outfit over again in the same week. But it would be great to have some go to outfits on those days when I need a little extra sleep. My alarm goes off at 5am and it’s just no fun picking out a cute outfit when all I can think about is being warm and cozy and climbing back into bed. haha. Thanks for the inspiration!
    XOXO

9. Katrina says:

“Super gummy giggle smiles help too” BRILLIANT! are you a writer too? xo

10. Mandi says:

Katrina, I am not published or anything, but it has writing has always been a love of mine! Thanks for the lovely question. :)

11. steffy says:

i love the purple tights! and oh my i totally relate. i usually find a “blog worthy outfit” and wear it like 3 times in a week! its tough coming up with inspiring outfits… but youre just so darn good at it!
    Steffys Pros and Cons

12. Robin says:

This is a lovely post. And we are our worst critics. Had you not said anything, I would have thought that you spent a lot of time on this outfit and you look fantastic! Well done!

13. Jenni says:

I do this all the time–who needs shampoo when you could wear a stylish beret instead? :D Although I have to say, you look a lot better without makeup than I do. Your skin is amazing in these pictures!

14. Good advice – there’s a reason we have favourite, go-to outfits; why not revel in something you know works for you? Careful styling every single day would just become a chore.
    Oh, and what great skin you have!

15. Love, Carrie says:

I think you look prettier and younger without makeup……a real natural beauty :)

16. Hanna says:

ahh the roll out of bed yet still look presentable skill. . . I have it and so do you!. except you pull it off waaay more than I do!!!!!!
    xx

17. I cannot describe how lovely you look. So I shall just list why I love your outfit. Your hat, your jacket, the clashing prints, purple on purple, the cute gloves. Everything! x

18. Meanz says:

I think you look absolutely wonderful in these photos. I love your outfit, and I can’t tell it’s a re-worn look or that you basically just rolled out of bed and threw this on. You look stunning.

19. Ciara says:

The way you get dressed in the morning sounds like me. “I think I’ll wear what I wore all weekend… and I don’t feel like redoing all my makeup, so I’ll put on lipstick instead.” haha. You’re awesome, Mandi, because you have enough guts to then go and put it all on your blog. :D

20. shaunah says:

vintage fur!!! ahhhh love it! awesome jacket too

21. Emily says:

Dear Mandi, I’ve been following your blog for a little over a year now and seeing this post just gave me the urge to write what I’ve been feeling from the get-go: You are a beautiful, breathtaking, creative, wonderful spirit and I gain so much from reading your blog. Your style and grace, ingenuity and positivity illuminate this space that reflects the person you are. I am so grateful to know your blog. Congratulations on some very fine work!

22. jihee says:

You look gorgeous and super classy as always. Love your vintage look!

23. I think you look great! I would have never known that you had rolled out of bed if you didn’t tell us. i always want to post pictures of my outfits too, but i never do it because i rarely am ready by the time my husband leaves for work so i don’t have someone to take pictures of me, i am usually too lazy to put on make up, and i don’t usually have time to go somewhere and take pictures.