Movie Monday: Rosemary’s Baby 1968

Rosemary's-Baby6

Young and in love, Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse move into a quirky old apartment with plans to make it their own and begin a long, happy life together. But before the paint is even dry on the beautifully paneled walls, some very strange events begin to take place in their building. Soon, Rosemary finds herself pregnant, paranoid, and absolutely terrified of the silly old couple that lives next door.

Rosemary's-Baby7Rosemary's-Baby5 Rosemary's-Baby

Despite feeling alienated from her husband and enduring concerned glances from everyone else in her life, Rosemary decides to follow her hunches and investigate the history of her apartment building and possibily find out more about her increasingly odd neighbors. Towards the end of her pregnancy, her small frame has become gaunt, she feels faint and looks ill, and to everyone else, her mind appears to be going a little nutso. But what if she is right? What if things are about to terribly go wrong?

Rosemary's-Baby3 Rosemary's-Baby8 Rosemary's-Baby11

I must admit, I’m not really one for horror movies of the terrifying variety, but give me suspense and intrigue and I’m sure to be pleased. Roman Polanski’s Rosemary’s Baby has a beautiful, atmospheric feeling to it, largely due to the overhaul of the apartment as well as Mia Farrow’s costumes, designed by Anthea Sylbert for this film. Everything in Rosemary’s life is so pristine and well ordered, until the fateful night that changes everything. I particularly love Mia’s costumes, but the contrast between her appearance and that of the other character’s is important to note. Each character is so well fleshed out, that you really get wrapped up in their lives, rather than a feeling of terror throughout the movie. Now, I might not have been scared witless while watching Rosemary’s Baby, but boy oh boy…. that feeling of dread! That’s what makes a good scary movie in my opinion. And this classic does not disappoint, I promise!

Rosemary's-Baby10

1. anastasia says:

I’ve been trying to get my sister to watch this with me for years. Seriously one of my favorites, perfect for the Halloween seasonnnn <3
    anastasia

2. ah. That figures. I didn’t know Roman Polanski did that movie. I don’t like him. He’s gotten away with human trafficking.
    I never saw this movie. My mom told me she saw it in theatres and how horrible it was and how she was really freaked out too, and usually I would rebel against my mom to see movies like this even when she would tell me I wasn’t allowed to, but I have still obeyed after all these years. This is one I am not interested in.
    Roman Polanski makes me want to see it even less now.
    Thanks for your review. I never saw photos from it either. The clothes seem cool at least.

3. brittany says:

i love love this movie! it is one of my favorite classic horrors. i just also love Mia Farrel in it she is perfection for the role!
    brittany
    prettylittlevintage

4. Mandi says:

Victoria, I know Polanski was tried for the rape of a 13 year old girl, but I know nothing about him being involved in human trafficking. Is that what you were referring to? The rape charges? Or is there more to it that I couldn’t find online?
    Anyways, I think that’s awful if he actually raped a 13 year old girl, but I also know that there are excellent movies made by people who aren’t good. I don’t typically judge a movie by the character of the cast and crew involved, because by that standard, there really wouldn’t be many movies left to watch.

5. Joy says:

LOVE THIS FILM!

6. Danielle says:

This is in my top five favorite movies of ALL TIME and it was really exciting to see it on my reader! I adore these movie posts and this was is no different. When I was pregnant I was SO obsessed with Mia Farrow’s maternity wardrobe and watched it probably 15x throughout my pregnancy. Hank thought I was crazy- esp. considering the subject matter. But I think it’s just brilliant.
    Love this (and you!).
    Happy Tuesday, sweets!
    xoxo
    Danielle

7. Danielle says:

freakin’ classic! I agree with you, the director is a gross individual, but the movie itself is a good one.

8. jessica says:

This movie will and always be one of my all time favorites. I absolutely love how eerie it plays out and how delicate Mia’s character is. I don’t think another actress could have come close to that performance. A+ Mandi!

9. Aya says:

Oh, I’m always in the market for a goof vintage movie! :)
    BTW, post away girl! Don’t let my little post hinder you from doing so ;)
    Aya ? Strawberry Koi

10. Lindsay says:

classic movie, and it’s mia farrOW ;]

11. Mandi says:

Lindsay, I TOTALLY knew that! Agh! I can’t believe I wrote Farrel. I think it’s just one of those muscle memory things when I’m typing to finish with Farrel, because I know some Farrel’s quite well. Know what I mean? Like when you go to type something, and another word completely different comes out? Oh, well. Anyways. Thanks for letting me know I mistyped that. :)

12. Kompsotita says:

I’ ve seen it, 15 years ago, in a open cinema in Athens (Greece), i liked it a lot.

13. I love this movie. Roman Polanski is one of my favorite directors! This movie belongs to a triology, love other two too!
    just belogged about it here: http://balladofseasons.blogspot.com/2011/11/rosemarys-baby-1968.html
    xoxo, Bet?l