DIY | Turn a Big Blazer into a Cozy Cushion

Blazer-to-pillow

This week has been all about prepping for Fall’s Friday arrival. The season of comfy, cozy, and colorful is my very favorite of all, so I want to make sure to celebrate appropriately. First up? Adding some extra warmth to our living room. This pillow-cover project is really easy to make with an old, unloved blazer from the back of your closet or your favorite thrift store.

Before-and-after

I purchased this blazer at The Salvation Army a few years ago, loving the plaid and considering restructuring it for a fitted look. I suppose if I had ever gotten around to the alterations, the blazer might have been a fun layer for Fall ensembles. But during a recent cleaning spree, I found it at the bottom of my mending pile and decided it was high time I either redonated or repurposed this big, old blazer. Now it has a new life as a pillow, and I’m feelin’ pretty good about it!

The process was pretty simple, as most pillow projects are, but working with patterned fabric from an already constructred garment required a bit of patchwork and attention to detail. Check out the directions below to make your own!

Steps

If you don’t have enough fabric to properly match up the pattern when joining the blazer pieces, you might need to opt for a standard two-piece cover sewn around all four edges of your pillow. If you have a smaller pillow, are working with a higher pattern repeat, or simply have good luck, it’s much easier to construct an envelope-style cover from a salvaged fabric, as seen above. Envelope-style covers are easier to take on and off, but if you’re not scared of a seam-ripper, and don’t have small children or messy pets, I wouldn’t think twice about foregoing that convenience to save yourself some frustration during construction!

Pillow

1. Ahh, I love it! (both as a blazer, but especially as a cushion!) Gorgeous! Lost in the Haze

2. Rae Veda says:

What a great idea. So original. I’d love to try this sometime. xo, rv

3. Meredith says:

This is such a cute DIY idea–I’m always looking for new fun ones! Also such a rad chair.
    Keep the great posts coming!

4. Kim says:

What a wonderful and creative idea! I am loving plaid right now and I need new pillows! :) Thanks for such a great idea!

5. Willchonok says:

Sorry, i don’t like it.
    It would be better, if you tell how to do blazer from pillow.
    Any can make a pillow!

6. Mandi says:

I’m sorry you didn’t like the post, Willchonok, but the idea is twofold:
    One: To inspire readers to utilize old, unworn garments by making cozy wool cushion covers.
    Two: To instruct how to best utilize the fabric salvaged from a blazer, but quilting them together for the cushion cover.
    I hope if you were not inspired, that at least someone else was. :) Anyway, I am enjoying my new wool pillow and am glad to have one less unworn garment hanging in my closet.

7. Sally says:

I love how you draw your instructions.
    Great DIY thanks!

8. Hanna says:

who would ever think of making a cushion from an old blazer? I love the idea, and your version looks really pretty!

9. this is great! i love the idea of taking something old & overlooked or unusable and turning it into something new & interesting.

10. Trude says:

This turned out so cute! If only I would just force myself to sit down and learn to sew. :)

11. Rachel says:

Love it! I’ve made a pillow from old sweaters, but not a blazer. Great idea, and so well-illustrated. Thanks for sharing!

12. Malena says:

Great idea, i’m in love with your chairs though! could you tell me if the models have a name, maybe the name of the designer, or where did you buy them?

Thanks! reading your blog from Argentina (:

Thanks, malena! The white rocker is a knock-off of the fiberglass Eames chair which was (and still is) produced by Herman Miller. The green chair is a plycraft chair, I believe another designer knock-off, but I don’t know the original designer. Sorry!