Wardrobe | A Love Story. About Shorts.

2011_09_14c

Crazy shorts are all I’ve been craving lately. Scouring the thrift stores all Summer resulted in no luck for a girl my size. I even thought about purchasing full-price shorts from online vendors, but after gazing for a bit at the tall and thin models wearing the lower rise shorty shorts, I thought, there is no way those shorts will look quite right on my body.

But then it happened. I was minding my own business, searching for skirts (not shorts, mind you) at the thrift store, when I stumbled on a pair of crazy, floral shorts! Yes siree! these are the ones I had been waiting for- dreaming of! Long enough to cover my thighs, high enough to wear with cropped sweaters, and baggy enough to fool some well-meaning Salvation Army employee into thinking they are shorts. Pretty perfect!

Moral of the story? Never give up on your thrift store dreams. And don’t be afraid to try hair extensions. (Oh? Did I forget to tell you about those….? Another story for another day, I ‘spose.)

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

shorts: thrifted | sweater: ASOS | shirt: thrifted | purse: Canton Antique Expo 9/10
hat: Avenue Antiques (Canton, Ohio) | shoes: ASOS
photos by Phil Johnson

2011_09_14d

2011_09_14e

2011_09_14b

1. oh they are pretty! Looking lovely lady (as always)!x

2. Meredith says:

Oh I love floral shorts! I’m so glad you found your dream pair! I’ve been wanting a pair for awhile too, but I’m trying to forget that it’s still hot enough outside to wear shorts and instead get into a fall weather mind set. ;-)

3. Jennifer says:

I love the print. And I can’t wait to hear your story about hair extensions : )

4. Rae Veda says:

I love those shorts. I’ve never been a shorts kind of girl but always a floral one. XO, Rae

5. Wendy says:

So happy that you found your dream shorts, the print is amazing and they look great on you!

6. Mirka says:

Oh, Mandi, you always look like a movie star in your outfit pictures! In these especially! x

7. gorgeous shorts on a gorgeous girl!

8. Amy says:

Mandi, you are always so gorgeous, but lately you are more stunning than ever. Love the shorts. You really can’t go wrong with floral.

9. Kaelah Bee says:

ugh, they’re perfect in EVERY way! totally jellin’ over here!

10. roxy says:

Love the new Extensions!! I Wear them all the time. :) p.s cute outfit.

11. gee says:

oh goodness, you look beautiful.
    i think this might be my favorite outfit yet! (i always say this. :P)
    it is the best feeling FINALLY finding something you have been searching for. good for you for not giving up!!
    such a great find.

12. Julia says:

Yes! In thrift stores, your wildest dreams can come true!
    I’m definitely finding this to be true in my life as well. Although, lately, it seems like as soon as I think of something new to keep an eye out for, it’s immediately right in front of me.
    Maybe we have good thrift store karma?
    xx.

13. Joy says:

You look amazing here. Floral prints + shorts = best thing ever!

14. Kat says:

Cute shorts, I like them! I also have trouble finding shorts in the right size/cut for me… not even just at thrift stores!
    -Kat

15. Caitlin says:

These shorts are exceptional! So glad you finally found the perfect pair. This post has given me renewed hope for finding my must have pieces on my thrifting adventures this weekend.

16. Erin says:

You look SO lovely! That hat is to die for!

17. I found a pair of high waisted shorts looking for a halloween costume at my favorite thrift strore. They are one of my favorite items now. You look so lovely. Love the hat.

18. ohhhhh…your style is so inspiring. thank you for sharing!

19. Kat says:

Those wedges are PERFECT. Please don’t tell me they’re vintage though. You bought them from an online site that delivers internationally, and they’re still on sale now, right?! Right?! RIGHT?!

20. Mandi says:

Kat, I just updated the outfit details. I keep forgetting to add those these days! Here’s a link to the shoes: http://us.asos.com/ASOS-STAMP-Wedge-Court-Shoes/wa0wy/?iid=1582108&mporgp=L0FTT1MvQVNPUy1TVEFNUC1XZWRnZS1Db3VydC1TaG9lcy9Qcm9kLw..

21. steffy says:

yay i am so happy you found your dream shorts, and they look great on you!
    Steffys Pros and Cons

22. writermom1 says:

Love your blog and this NE Ohio native would like to thank you for showing such great STYLE! Can’t wait to see what you come up with for winter.
    Beautiful blog. Love your style!

23. Good work mandi.
    Pulling off the shorts that look like a skirt!
    you are lovely
    anna

24. Bonnie says:

Such a gorgeous floral print! Love it <3
    xoxo,
    Bonnie

25. Katie says:

I had the exact same experience! Sort of…
    I’m pretty thin, and very tall, but modesty is really important to me, so it’s really hard for me to find shorts. I wanted a pair of high waisted, shorts that looked like had been cut from dress pants and not only could I not find a nice pair of shorts that were this style and long enough for me. So I started looking for dress pants to cut off, but couldn’t find an of those, either! >.< Then one day while looking for some denim shorts at the thrift store I found the perfect pair of dressy shorts! I was thrilled! <3 So glad you found your perfect pair of shorts! It's always lovely to finally get something you've been wanting for a long time. :D

26. dena miller says:

Amanda,
    You look lovely in that outfit…I love shopping the thrift stores, it is always so much fun when you find the treasure that you have been searching for.
    ~~Dena

27. These are adorable! I have been in search of the perfect pair of shorts forever! (I thought I found them last weekend at the Brimfield Market, but sadly, they were about 2 sizes too small :(

28. Love it, especially that last photo!! I’m glad you found it!

29. Kara Haupt says:

Ah! The shorts are fabulous. Love, love, love!

30. Loved your story about these & love the print and colors. It’s so great that you didn’t give in to buying them from a normal store and a nice “take that!” to these stores for only showing stick-thin models! AAh, I just love it. I also had a similar story with wedges (minus the models, although perfect feet could give me a similar reaction), just about to cave and then got some hand-me-downs. Love the collar shirt under the sweater as well.

31. I absolutely adore your outfits, as always! And I must ask about your hair (I get a bit of hair-envy over here), is it all yours?!

32. What a wonderful find! I love the print. And I really love that hat!
    xo,
    Em

33. Mandi says:

Hazel, Not sure if you read all of the post, but if you check out the end I mentioned about my hair extensions, but I haven’t really had time to write an in detail post about them. And I’m not sure what to say, truly. haha But I like them!

34. Oh Mandi I?m so sorry! I was totally sure I read the whole post, I had to scroll up the page and have a look, but sure enough I went straight to the “Outfit Details” skipping the last two sentences. Text on my computer tend to jump around a bit (well it’s my eyes fault really), and now I got that rude awakening: I need to check my eyes :) Anyway, I look forward to a “hair extensions- post”. It looks wonderful and soooo real! I have always wondered how people put them in and how to make it not show, are they expensive, are they made from real hair!? Have a great day!

35. Mandi says:

Hi Hazel! I just wanted to send an e-mail & copy the e-mail here in the comments section, because I realized that my comment in response to yours about hair extensions might have seemed abrupt. I didn’t mean for it to sound that way, but looking back on it, I see that it probably could have been conceived to be kind of snarky. SO I just wanted to e-mail you to let you know that’s it’s all cool, and I appreciate your comments, and I definitely didn’t mean to sound reproachful to you! I’m sure I miss tiny details when commenting on blogs quite often, and it is certainly not a big deal. If you ever have questions, I don’t want you to feel too shy to ask, so just go for it. :)
    As far as my hair extensions go, I found out about Head Candy from Wish Wish Wish (Carrie’s UK blog) and pretty much bought them immediately. They have been something I’ve been considering for years, but these ones clip in and look real. (Because they are made from real hair.) When I got back from vacation, my hair was so bleached from the sun that I had to dye it again (this is because I actually bleached all of my hair last Winter, so color doesn’t hold very well any more). So, I bought extensions before I left for vacation, wore them in one outfit post, but then couldn’t wear them for a month because my hair color was all wrong. Now my haircolor isn’t quite back to the perfect shade fort he extensions, but I’ve been rocking them any way. And I love how full they make my hair, and also how long.
    Anyways, hope that was informative and sorry again if I made you feel bad with my previous comment!

36. Oh my! Please don’t feel bad! I didn’t read in anything that you are afraid I did in you comment (weird sentence, can I excuse myself with “English is not my first language”:) You know, I’m in that place: I want my hair to be long, long (surly just to cut it of in six months from now). Anyway, I really need to look in to Head Candy, because you look so pretty in that hair. It’s just what I’m looking for, to have that mermaid hair maybe four times a week :)
    And just to say it again, no worries about anything regarding any comment!
    My best to you!