Wardrobe | Put a Collar on It

2011_08_22b

Detachable collars are back with the vengeance of the dickies I knew and loved in the 90s. Remember dickies? Most of mine were turtlenecks, with basically just the neck, that could be layered under crewneck sweaters, jumpers, or even a favorite flannel shirt. Yes, I wore dickies. But gave them up long ago, along with trapper keepers and hair scrunchies. Now I’m pleased to admit I’ve finally found a detachable collar that works better with my wardrobe these days.

This collar is done in a rather 70s style, close to something you might expect from Marcia or Jan Brady, with lace trim along the edge. It works well with collarless tops and dresses, but I also plan on layering it over the existing collar of a shirt for just a bit of added interest. Contrasting collars of any style are so my scene right now. :)

2011_08_22 2011_08_22c                                    O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

• dress: thrifted
  • collar: ASOS (currently out of stock)
  • belt: thrifted
  • shoes: Forever 21 (2009)

1. gee says:

haha..i use to wear dickies! I remember them quite well..i think my mother still has some. :P
    you look gorgeous as always..the collar is the perfect touch!

2. anastasia says:

Ahh scrunchies. Some days, I miss the nineties. I had these sick pink saddle shoes, and I miss them (I was 5 so idk what I’d do with them today).
    This dress looks really fantastic on you. Detachable collars are fascinating me these days, but I have yet to find one…

3. Julia says:

Super cute!
    Any chance you’re referencing “Put a bird on it”?

4. Chloe says:

I love this look! I’ve been lusting after the collars in this shop for a while now…
    Metallic? Yes please!

5. Kristin says:

I recently stumbled across some old pictures of you & was stunned at how different you look. I really don’t mean for this to be rude- I noticed that you gained a lot of weight. I recently gained a lot of weight as well and people sometimes don’t even recognize me! How do you deal with your weight gain, confidence wise? Do you plan on losing weight soon, and if so, please share your tips!

6. steffy says:

ahhh this is the most amazing outfit!!!! i love the dress and the collar makes it even better (if possible!!!!)
    <3 steffy

7. Rae Veda says:

I love detachable collars. I never know how to wear them. Thanks for giving me ideas.
    xo, rv

8. zelina says:

i love that color on you.

9. Stephanie says:

I am loving the detachable collar look right now. I have been wanting one since I saw a lime green on manrepeller.com

10. boldaslove says:

I just bought that collar on ASOS less than a week ago! Thought I’d give it a go, and here you are rocking it! Can’t wait for it to be delivered!

11. Joy says:

Love the shade of pink on you!

12. Angie says:

I was a Dickie lover, too!
    And just think how easy it would be to make a collar from a vintage shirt :)
    Oy, the possibilities!

13. How very nice. My husband wears Dickies pants. . . There are other types of Dickies? I love the brady bunch. I wish it were available on instant play.

14. I know the post is about collars but I have to say – I just LOVE polka dots. Thanks for sharing.