Wardrobe | Inspired by Lolita

2011_08_13b

Right now I’m hanging out by the beach, continuing my listening to the audiobook version of Lolita. What a novel! I heard the reading by Jeremy Irons (who played in the 1997 film adaptation of Lolita) was even better than reading the book solitarily, and I must agree! He really brings Humbert to life. Which, if I’m being honest, is a little scary.

Lolita is often described as frolicking around in her short demin shorts with pink and red denim or calico prints that barely cover enough of her body. While I certainly don’t posess the body of a nymphette (I feel creepy even typing that!), I also have the modesty of an adult lady, so I chose this crop top and high waisted sailor-inspired shorts- not really thinking of Lolita in my choice, until this morning. I kinda dig it.

2011_08_13 2011_08_13c

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

Crop Top : DIY | Shorts: Urban Outfitters ’09 | Shoes: from Claire of Mamushka Marie

1. Jennifer says:

You look darling! I love audio books : )

2. Della says:

I have a crush on Jeremy Irons.
    I love the crop top!

3. anastasia says:

Someone else had a Lolita inspired outfit recently. How weird!
    I’ve been trying to find pieces to accomplish a similar look but no such luck for me C: Too bad, it’s so so cute.

4. steffy says:

aw i totally get “frolicking” from this breezy little getup! i love the top!
    Steffys Pros and Cons

5. Jenny says:

I love everything you wear! And this is one of my favorites. The high waisted shorts and the checkered top is summer perfect and makes me want to go on a picnic! xx

6. bonita says:

~ * ? * ~
    This outfit is super cute! I am really liking the gingham top… I think I am slowly developing an obsession with gingham!
    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ? * ~

7. Michelle says:

Cute summer outfit! I love the tops cute shoulders! I am jealous sitting here in so many clothes and still freezing. x

8. bronny says:

I love your shorts, you look gorgeous x

9. thatgirl says:

while i think your outfit has good intentions.. and your friends are generous with their kind words..
    your shorts really aren’t doing too much for your nether region..

10. Lauren says:

I think you look fabulous! You’ve got great legs, shiny hair and the cutest pink lippie! Added you to my Daily Reads. Just loving your blog so much. x

11. Meanz says:

You look adorable and I am currently reading Lolita as well! Maybe I might have to try the audio book because it’s hard finding time to read sometimes!

12. Never seen that version of the film but you look beautiful.

13. Taylor says:

I’m reading Lolita at the moment – what timing! I can definitely see the Lolita in this outfit. You look great.
    I’m not so sure I want to hear the audiobook if it is so creepy – I’ve struggled to read some of the descriptions as it is. I don’t think I want Humbert any more realistic! haha