Wardrobe | When an Outfit Feels Boring

2011_08_08

One of the perils of having a slightly obsessive nature, is that sometimes getting dressed turns into a huge production. Ever have those days? You get dressed, and try on five things (okay, ten if we’re being really honest), and nothing seems right? Everything seems boring. Today, I didn’t want to spend too much time flinging clothes around my bedroom, so I put on this sweater and skirt, and was about to step out the door when I just felt so incredibly boring. Here was my solution:

• Tuck in the sweater, instead of having it drape across the front of the skirt
  • Add suspenders for more interest
  • Pull up skirt to a higher waist position, aided by suspenders
  • Add a hat that matches the suspenders

After those quick changes, I suddenly felt a bit more exciting, and I’m hoping that my day will follow suit! I’m off to hear Me Without You and some of my friends are opening for them!

IMG_0270 2011_08_08d 2011_08_08b

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

blouse: Rag Refinery (Ohio City) | Everything else: thrifted
Photos: taken with tripod at the Lincoln Highway train depot – Canton, Ohio

1. Cassie says:

This outfit is absolutely stunning. The suspenders add so much to the whole ensemble. Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Totally not a boring outfit. Love the little touches you’ve added. hope you have fun at the concert!
    xo,
    Em

3. lauren says:

I have this problem almost every day. I shipped most of my clothes to my new apartment, and I won’t have them for another month, so I have felt so boring this summer with my limited wardrobe. I love your solution for your outfit, the hat and suspenders are an adorable touch!

4. Monique says:

Enjoy the show….loving these train station photos. Great tips I certain have those days..

5. That does sound like there is a lot of effort and work put into your outfits, but that is really wonderful. Now that the past 11 outfits I’ve set up to photograph were borrowed from shop owners and bloggers so that I can spread awareness of human trafficking/modern day slavery, it is much easier for me to get dressed (although someone sent me loads of items today, so that makes it challenging again).
    I love the train photos! Makes me miss the old steam engine rides my hometown always did!! These are great. I love the suspenders for this outfit too. You always put together really lovely pieces! your hat is so sweet!!

6. Hannah says:

Love it! I feel this way all the time, and usually try tucking in my top and adding a belt or a fun necklace. Never thought of suspenders. I love yours! I’ll have to add that to my never-ending list of things to thrift.

7. Elizabeth says:

I cannot imagine you ever having a boring outfit. :)

8. Jennifer says:

Yes, those days happen to me too. I don’t like them either! I try to jazz things up with lip color and/or a fantastic piece of jewelry.

9. steffy says:

i have these days too, way too often. usually i add a bow to my hair or socks! i love the addition of the suspenders!
    Steffys Pros and Cons

10. Robin says:

Your outfits are never boring! I know how you feel though. I have so much stuff, but always yearn for more and to find different ways to wear things. I love the addition of the suspenders and the hat. Super cute!

11. I just found some suspenders in my belt box last week. Thanks for the inspiration – I was wondering how in the world to wear them in summer.
    You look fab as always!

12. Meredith says:

Such great solutions!! I just love the whole outfit! You are too gorgeous to look boring though… ;-)

13. Hannah says:

You live the coolest life. And have the coolest style,

14. I love these tips for sprucing up a boring outfit. You look totally great so I know it works. :D I owned suspenders once, but I’m not sure where they are anymore. I’ll have to try and dig them out or find a new pair at the thrift store. I hope your day was great. Were you going somewhere fun at the train station?
    XOXO

15. Joy says:

Quiet lovely, as always!

16. Laura says:

changes like that really make an outfit more interesting, love your suspenders, they’re so cute! x

17. Olga says:

I also noticed that tucked-in shirts and blouses do such an uplift to the outfit – it becomes more stylish and sophisticated!
    Btw, I’ve been hanging out your blog for a while and I like it very much. So thank you for that :)

18. allie says:

The Rag Refinery!!! Yessss!!! :)

19. My solution is usually More Jewellery (because I usually forget to put on aything other than earrings), but you’re right, a hat certainly makes any outfit :)

20. Lori says:

I seriously have been looking for the perfect pair of suspenders for MONTHS now. I love the look of them, especially with uber feminine pieces like the skirt-sweater combo above. I also neeeeed to give some mad props to the little bow pin you put on them, it’s adorable and perfect!

21. I have those days too when nothing looks right or the outfit I have on just needs something extra that I dont seem to have. Next time I will try out these tips :)

22. I really like your style :) thanks for sharing the ideas & help us overcome “there days” of not knowing what to put on.
    p.s. great photos as well!
    Martina x

23. brittany says:

I’d like to see a before-and-after!

24. Meanz says:

I love this outfit and these tips are very helpful! :)

25. Kerrie says:

This is one of my favorites!

26. mat says:

your tattoos look really damn awesome