Movie Monday: It 1927

It-Clara-Bow-10

I finally dipped my toes into the world of silent movies! They alwasy intimidated me, because of my short attention span. But I figured Clara Bow would be a good place to start! She has been a fashion icon of mine for a while, but after seeing her act, she's just an everything icon, fashion or otherwise. What a gal!

It-Clara-Bow-9 It-Clara-Bow-6 It-Clara-Bow-8

This particular film is all about the evasive quality known as "it." As in, sex appeal. The ability to be desirable without outwardly seeming as if you know you are appealing. Whatever "it" is, Clara's character, Betty, has got it. She and her other shop girls are smitten with the new manager of the department store, but he has his eye on Betty. The only problem is, he might marry another girl. And it seems that he thinks that Betty is the kind of girl who won't mind sharing her man.

It-Clara-Bow-7 It-Clara-Bow-5 It-Clara-Bow-4

The plot was pretty fast moving, funny, and even heartwarming. I was surprised that it held my attention the entire time, and to be honest, I'm already itching to watch another silent movie soon! Do you have any suggestions for me?

Oh, and if you decide to watch It for the first time, you'll have to look out for the actor playing the newspaper man who stands in Betty's doorway. It was a delightful cameo surprise!

It-Clara-Bow-3 It-Clara-Bow-2 It-Girl

1. Lisa says:

I had to study It at university, so I’ve seen it a few too many times for my liking… However I do remember being completely charmed by it on my first viewing!

2. I’ve seen a few silent films, but not this one. Thanks for the suggestion!
    XOXO

3. Oh, I just love silent movies. It’s been soooo long since I’ve indulged. The attention to detail, body moves across the screen as if to dance – perfect.
    Really enjoyed this post.

4. Nosferatu, of course! And Metropolis, if you’ve got a few hours to spare – it still looks amazing.

5. Stephanie says:

I love old movies but I haven’t watched any silent ones yet. This one looks awesome!
    Also, have you seen Christmas in Connecticut from 1945?? Its about a magazine writer who lives in a tiny apartment who has to pretend that she is the ultimate homemaker/house wife for a magazine event. It’s so so hilarious

6. anastasia says:

most of my friends are film students, so ive always been wary to admit this. but frankly ive been scared to try and watch a silent film coz i imagine it’d be so so boring. C: i’ll give this one a shot!! it sounds so great
    anastasia

7. Mandi says:

Stephanie, yes that’s one of my favorite Christmas movies! I’m a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck. I wrote about it here: http://candimandi.typepad.com/heres_lookin_at_me_kid/2010/11/my-entry.html

8. Camila Faria says:

I haven’t seen this one! Looks amazing! i now I have to find out about the actor playing the newspaper man!

9. brittany says:

I LOVE this movie! I thought I would have a problem watching it too, because I tend to have to do 18 things at once while I watch a movie or I’ll just end up daydreaming and not paying attention, and obviously with a silent film you have to have your eyes on the screen the whole time. But silent films are so engaging that I don’t have that problem.

10. Le says:

Hi! I’ve had a difficult beggining with silent movies, watching Intolerance after midnight. I love Clara Bow’s looks and It seens to be very nice. My tip for you is Pandora’s Box, with lovely Louise Brooks.
    Greetings, Le

11. I never saw it but always heard about it. I guess that explains IT. . for Clara Bow.