Wardrobe | Finding Sartorial Inspiration in Film

2011_08_03b

Even from a very young age, my sense of time was dilluted in nostalgia. I thought The Little Rascals from Our Gang were modern kiddos just like me, and as far as I was concerned, My Fair Lady could have been made yesterday. Black and White? Technicolor? I didn’t descriminate. I just wanted more movies- especially classics from the 1940s-1960s. Since the early ’90s, it’s been a great dream of mine to guest program alongside Robert Osborne for Turner Classic Movies, and in preparation, I write Movie Monday posts here on this blog.

Alright, so the truth is, while I’d love to be a TCM guest programmer, the real reason behind Movie Mondays is to share with you some of my favorite films, as well as the inspiration I find in the fashion sense of yesteryear. So, if you’re ever wondering what movies I’ve been watching recently, and can’t wait for Monday to find out, just peep my fashion choices and take a wild guess. 1960s, anyone?

2011_08_03c 2011_08_03 2011_08_03e

Photos: Taken with tripod behind Stagecoach Antiques in Akron, Ohio

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

Blouse: Canton, Ohio Antique Expo | Slacks: Salvation Army
Scarf: Hidden Pearl Vintage (Cuyahoga Falls) | Shoes: Salvation Army

2011_08_03d

1. I can’t guess not so good with this kind of trivia…love your hair though. I don’t think I’ve seen a beehive with a braid. Lovely

2. The hair is out of control gorgeous! I LOVE it and will be borrowing accordingly :)

3. Ruth says:

Ahh! that outfit is so cute! The hair and shoes especially. <3
    ~Ruth (ruthrmay.com)

4. Chaucee says:

I adore the top you have on! And the way you hair is..so cute.

5. Kat says:

That top is so sweet — the little bell sleeves are just adorable.
    You’re lucky you were raised on a diet of old films — for some reason my parents never really encouraged that (though we did watch a lot of musicals), so I’m only just catching up now. Can’t believe I made it to the age of 25 without seeing classics like Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Singing In the Rain! Most shameful. I also watched Desk Set after you wrote about it, and fell in love with it — please keep up the Movie Mondays, even if your TCM dream is never realised! (Their loss and our gain, I say ;)

6. You look wonderful! I adore your hair and outfit. I love taking inspiration from old movies. We didn’t have any channels growing up, so I ended up just watching old movies as a child. I watched A Woman is A Woman the other night and loved it, thanks for the recommendation!
    xo,
    Em

7. Krystle says:

Love this outfit! I rarely watch new movies and TCM is on almost all day long while I work from home. Robert Osborne is my buddy..I even kind of wanted to go on that cruise haha! I will meet him one day! I get so much inspiration from old films, fashion and home design..I adore them!
    ?
    Krystle

8. jessica says:

Beautiful! I love the color palette. Very nice.
    I can’t wait until Monday to find out!!!

9. zelina says:

Mandi this post is incredible. I lov eyour hair like that and those shoes with the prettys unflower photo to match. I too am a sucker for nostalgia. great post!

10. Stef says:

I am completely smitten with your hair do and scarf.
    When I was little I found it hard to comprehend that while TV used to be black and white the real world never was :D

11. That top looks super lovely on you! BTW I am really enjoying your movie mondays :)

12. laura says:

This is a beautiful outfit! I really love that cropped top. The pattern and color are lovely, and the collar is just adorable!

13. Naomi Bulger says:

LOVE the hair. How did you do that??

14. Vanessa says:

hey I’ve been there!!! ;)

15. Ashlee says:

I’m in love with this whole outfit! It’s so lovely (and your hair looks absolutely amazing)! -Swoon at this whole post-

16. I was pretty much the same way with old films and shows (I loved Our Gang/Little Rascals soooooooo much as a kid). Only thing is my mom would tell me which time period they were from and explain about the depression and such. You look soooo pretty in these photos.

17. kerry hall says:

You are gorgeous! Please could you post a tutorial for your hairstyle? I would love to learn how to do that! ?

18. bonita says:

~ * ? * ~
    This style is amazing on you Amanda, you look so cute! I love your hair do and your gingham top is just adorable. Great outfit. :D
    xox,