Movie Monday: A Woman Is a Woman 1961

A-woman-is-a-woman-9

Anna Karina, the muse of Jean-Luc Godard as well as my own personal style icon, sweetens the screen in this rather twisted romantic comedy. Who else but Ms. Karina could successfully appear as an naive strip-tease artist in 1960's France? With every bat of her eyelashes, it's no surprise that her character, Angela, is used to getting her own way.

A-woman-is-a-woman-16 A-woman-is-a-woman-12 A-woman-is-a-woman-14

What Angela desperately wants is to be a mother. She persistantly drives her boyfriend, Emile, crazy with her constant begging for a child. "I want a baby. By tomorrow" In the heat of an argument, she threatens to go to Emile's friend Alfred for a baby, and goodness knows Alfred would be up for it. He spends his afternoons waiting for Angela to leave work so he can follow her around and profess his love for her. Some friend he is to Emile, eh?

Without thinking she would actually go through with an affair with Alfred, even for the sake of conceiving a child, Emile agrees to Angela's preposterous idea. And what d'ya know? Angela decides to meet Alfred for a date.

A-woman-is-a-woman-15 A-woman-is-a-woman-10 A-woman-is-a-woman-5

While out with Alfred, it becomes clear to Angela that what she really wants more than a baby, is to be back with her boyfriend. But is it too late?

This movie is not for the prude, to be sure. There are themes of sexual exploration as well as brief nudity. But even with such an odd plot and its quirky 1960's experimental soundtrack, I found A Woman Is a Woman to be lots of fun, giggle inducing, and definitely inspiring visually. I'd say it's definitely worth a watch or two! (…or three, or four if you get distracted and forget to follow along with the subtitles!)

A-woman-is-a-woman-2 A-woman-is-a-woman-4 A-woman-is-a-woman

1. emily keen says:

I’ve gotta see this movie:)

2. Sarah says:

Very cool! I will have to check that out. I love those 60s movies…the plots can be really odd…but the clothing and attitude are so fun!

3. Janice Ann says:

i absolutely adore this movie! the scene where they are not speaking to each other but saying things with random objects is incredible! also the impromptu musical scene is pretty great too.

4. I want her hair. SO BAD.

5. Krystle says:

One of my favorites, I adore Jean-Luc and Anna Karina!
    ?
    Krystle

6. Her hair where she’s sitting at the table in the red top? Now on my to-do list.

7. Mel says:

Ahh! Definitely one of my favorites. Last Summer they screened it at one of the Outdoor Movies in the Park. It was so amazing to see it on the big screen. Loved her outfits too, but maybe i’m partial since I tend to wear red white and blue a lot.

8. Joy says:

Wonderful throwback! Great pick of a film!

9. Dolly Pop! says:

Seems fun to watch. I’d pester my bf to find us a copy of this. :)
    Love,
    Nini

10. Why haven’t I seen this yet? It looks amazing!

11. Ashlee says:

I’m loving the imagery and the storyline sounds really interesting! Must go watch now <3

12. Danielle says:

The clothes are adorable!

13. danielle thompson says:

yay! it’s on instant netflix! : )

14. Sue says:

I need to see this now! Thanks for sharing the info on this!

15. Sue says:

By the way, I need to find out more info on that groovy record player pictured above!

16. Angel says:

love it! so adding this to my netflix!
    PS: I tweeted this and put you on my facebook page. :)

17. brittany says:

I love this movie (my boyfriend hates it)! If anyone has netflix, it’s available to watch instantly…

18. Sarah says:

Isn’t her wardrobe amazing?! After seeing this last fall, I went out and bought red tights, a red skirt, a blue dress, and a fab trench. She is amazing and so is Godard. Love them.
    Have you seen Cleo from 5-7? Anna and Jean Luc have a cameo in it, and it is another beautifully acted and directed French film from this era. I feel like you would appreciate it. I certainly did. : )
    Don’t comment ever, but I adore your blog and you.
    xo,
    Sarah

19. how have i never watched this? honestly about to press play now.

20. anastasia says:

all godard films are close to my heart, but this one is deep in there (right after breathless). not coz i want a baby, more for the cinematic techniques and what they evoke for me. everyone should see it!!!

21. Meanz says:

I think I’ve found a new style icon to check out! :) The outfits in this movie are so adorable! I love these posts and how I’m finding about all these older movies! :)