Wardrobe | Heat Wave & It’s Gonna Be Okay

2011_07_13d

What a whirlwind of a week! Oh, and it’s only Wednesday? Good golly. Well, we decided to opt out of the dream house. Let me just explain, the house was 2700 square feet in a historic neighborhood of Canton, Ohio. It had original detailed woodwork throughout the home, beautiful leaded glass windows, and just gobs of character. Basically, all I’ve ever wanted in a home to raise a family. The low cost of real estate one of the many pros of living in this area. That being said, this home, in all its disarray, still was valued at 300,000 in 2008. And today it is on the market for 87,000. (You can go ahead and pick up your jaw now!) Phil and I weren’t in the market for a home, so we didn’t have a lot of money to put down, and upon visiting the home on Monday, we discovered that it would need a lot of work to even make it livable, aside from the fact that it would take lots of love to make it look decent. Replacing dozens of windows, installing a new heating system, and having the electrical updated throughout the huge house isn’t something we can even remotely afford, so heart-breakingly, we walked away.

I’m not too terribly upset, as it was quite the whirlwind romance. But, if you know me even at all, you would not be surprised to hear that I had already picked out wallpaper and planned a future kitchen renovation. :) So, we’re going to keep on living modestly and maybe in a few years, the home will be on the market again, and we can jump on it!

In the meantime, I’ve been enjoying the oodles of sunshine and the company of good friends. This evening we are having a picnic, and I think it will be just what the doctor ordered!

2011_07_13c 2011_07_13 2011_07_13b

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S :

skirt & top: thrifted yesterday as part of my retail therapy!
shoes: thrifted 2 years ago | hat: Avenue Antiques (Canton, O.)

1. allie says:

Retail therapy truly, truly helps :)

2. Jessica says:

Bummer! I hope you find one equally as charming when the time is right :) That’s the downfall of houses with lots of charm…they usually need lots of improvement as well!

3. Lori says:

I have 100% been where you are! This past January, my husband and I bought our first house, and it all started because we drove by a house we fell in love with. Of course, we didn’t end up in that house but it did start us on the path to realizing that this is the best possible market to buy a house in and after seeing 5 houses we found the perfect house for us, at a price that put our mortgage pmts lower than our rent and with putting essentially no money down-thanks to some state programs we qualified for. The best thing we did was sit down with a Realtor that specializes in first time homebuyers, who helped us through the whole process and found the financing that we needed. So, the point of all that is, don’t let one failed house get you down (even if it seemed perfect) and it really will happen when the time is right, there are so many houses on the market and for insanely cheap prices. Feel free to message me if you want- lori.milanowski@gmail.com.
    XOXO Lori
    PS- I am totally in LOVE with your skirt! I just bought a helmet for my scooter that matches!

4. Krystle says:

It was fun while it lasted right?! We were in the same situation..after renting for about 5yrs it was time to finally buy a house! It’s a 2800sq.ft historic beauty with antique glass windows(some cracks)a HUGE double deck on the back and an additional carriage house(new studio?!) but it needs SO much work. Electric is updated(!) but it has radiator heat(hate) and no central air. I’m literally hanging in the one room with a window unit right now but I love our house so much, it’s worth it!
    You look so pretty,loving the polka dots and cropped top!
    ?
    Krystle

5. aw. sorry about the loss of the place but I think it is probably better to just be content with the amazing place you already have. It really is gorgeous where you live. I’m guessing though that it is too small to have kids in, and that’s what the idea is. . raising a family as you stated. I lived in a 1050 square foot 1 bedroom apt. when I had my first son. It was nice for what it was but having an extra room would have definitely been better. We moved to a 2 bdr. when I was pregnant with my second son. It is lovely. I don’t think we’d be able to afford a house until we pay off school loans, but that is nice that you have an idea of the type of place you want to live in and that you long to have it ready for when you do get a family. I’ll tell you this much, the cost of housing where you live is excellent. Here a house that is ranch style and has 2 or 3 bedrooms is between $250,000-$350,000 which is far too much. My parents’ house is a two-story 3 bedroom house that was checked out and if they sold it, it would be $370,000 Really too much money to live in Northern NJ. I need to seriously consider moving elsewhere but I really love my neighborhood area (like you’ve stated about your love for your hometown before). I live 5 minutes within all the places I grew up around. O.o

6. maranda says:

i’m a home owner, and i say RENT RENT RENT!! no one will ever be honest with you about how much money you have to keep putting into a house-even one that’s in good shape. and the time…lots and lots of time! i know i sound like a negative nancy, but i wish someone had said this to me when i was in love with the idea of owning a house. for me it’s about how i want to spend my time and my hard earned money. fixing cleaning mowing painting and trips to the hardware store every weekend. or going on vacations and spending time with friends and actually having a savings account!!
    that being said-that stuff makes some people happy, so you have to follow your own heart and take your time!! :)

7. Joy says:

Ooof I really love this! Why is it still so cold in Vancouver. Would it be mean to say I wish we had a heat wave too?

8. heather says:

Aw, Im sorry. I know all too well how that goes. We were starry eyed over an old house last spring and got as far as the inspection, where we found out that the garage/studio space was one rumbling truck going down the road away from falling into a pile of bricks. Its hard sometimes, when you get your heart set…but if it doesnt feel right, chances are its not. I believe that the right place will come along– for both of us! and you’ll breath a sigh of relief that you didnt plunge ahead with the first house.

9. Ashlee says:

So sorry the dream house didn’t work out. I’m a firm believer in fate and it just wasn’t meant to be I guess. There’ll be something perfect for you whenever you’re in the market again! Hooray wallpaper and renovations now! <3

10. zelina says:

Love these pics you look amazing in the first portrait shot.

11. Bette says:

Bummer gurlfriend!, Keep you chin up the sun will come out tomorrow. Wait, a minute- the sun is already out.
    Smile,

12. April says:

When we were looking for a house we came across an enormous Victorian that was listed at 87,000. the problem was that so much of it hadn’t been updated since the 50s and it needed a new roof. If we’d have 50,000 extra to spend on renovations we would have jumped at it. But we ended up finding the perfect house just a couple of weeks later.

13. Davinia says:

Sorry to hear the house dream fell through for now. But I’m sure once you’re ready to make the leap the house will be on the market – or an even more perfect one. Also, that thing about how you totally redesigned the kitchen in your head? That’s totally what I do. I’m moving to a flatshare soon and I have a photo of my new bedroom. Needless to say I now have a folder on my computer entitled ‘New Bedroom’ and I’m making all sorts of crazy plans there.

14. annie says:

oh, lady. I actually feel a little relieved for you, but that’s just because I as I type this I am sitting on subfloors next to an opening into what I call the “rat room.” Josh and I bought our current house (at an online auction without seeing it!) because it was our dream fixer. though we know it’ll be great when it’s all done, we sometimes wish we were renting a nice, finished apartment. :) Home renovations tend to be so much more expensive than what we initially estimated, and so time consuming! My (unsolicited) advice is to only go into a renovation project if you can afford to live somewhere else while the construction is being done. It blows otherwise. :) Maybe someone else will do a quick remodel and sell it again- then you can make it all yours!
    xo
    ps: WOAH BABE ALERT!! That second picture of you is crazy good.

15. Chaplinnn says:

So glad I found this blog. I love your style!

16. romwe says:

I constantly check your lookbook and blog, just to see the lovely outfits you post. I could write so much to tell you how you inspire me . thank you for these wonderful looks, you have an amazing style.