Wardrobe DIY | Prairie Style Crop Top

Discovering myself in need of some cute Summer shirts, short enough to leave untucked, and long enough to cover my midrif, I delved into my “to mend” pile for some supplies. Every time I go thrifting, I find a few things that would work if I tweaked them a bit. Usually I just let them go, but this shirt was too cute to pass up.

For this project, all I had to do was a bit of trimming and a bit of stitching. I cut off the sleeves first, and then tried on the blouse to see what length I wanted the bodice to be. Marking that length with a safety pin, I then took my fabric scissors and carefully chopped off the bottom.

The last part involved a bit of sewing. I just turned the edged into two folds, and stitched closed the hem with my sewing machine. If you don’t have a sewing machine, but own an iron, you could use some fusible bond tape to close your hems.

It was a super easy project that took about twenty minutes total. I’m already digging through my mending pile to see what else I can whip up for these hot Summer-like days that have finally arrived.

1. I love what you have done to it! It really is the prettiest blouse!
    x

2. Wow, what a transformation!

3. allie says:

I dig this! Nice work! :)

4. Cheryl says:

You inspire me because my mending pile rarely gets mended.

5. maranda says:

oh, it looks so much better! those sleeves were a bit much. great work!

6. Erin says:

How slick! I will have to keep an open mind the next time I’m at the thrift store too! Love this top :)

7. i never thought about doing something like this with a shirt that was too big, but genius! i’ll have to implement, especially since i am trying to find ways to tweak clothes that would better suit me and my body type. thanks for posting!

8. jessica says:

GREAT!!!!! I am a sucker for red and white checked. I couldn’t have passed that up either. But I like the fresh look you gave it.

9. skunkboy says:

You’re so talented. <3 P.S. I saw your hair in the humidity last year and envied how well it behaved. ;)

10. Katie says:

You are so clever and this is really inspiring! I have quite a bundle of things in need of mending and tweaking…
    Oh and you look lovely, as always! x

11. brittany says:

Wow. That shirt looks 10 thousand times better. I’ve regretted many a purchase of that exact kind of shirt from the thrift store… usually because it had an irresistible print, but I’d never actually wear it because the fit was so hideous. I never realized how drastic an improvement just getting rid of the sleeves could be!

12. I love this top!!! Definitely an improvement too!