Movie Monday: Harold and Maude

Screen-shot-2011-05-22-at-7.46.44-PM

Harold is a rich kid who revels in darkness and death, much to his bored mother’s disdain. His perplexing countenance is often wan and always pale. Until the day he meets Maude. She’s 79, much closer to death than he, but so full of life and vigor. The two are quite opposites, but are drawn to each other in a bizarre way.

Screen-shot-2011-05-22-at-6.12.08-PM

Screen-shot-2011-05-22-at-6.14.26-PM

Screen-shot-2011-05-22-at-7.08.08-PM

I didn’t really know what to expect from Harold and Maude before watching it. I heard it was good. A must see, in fact. But I thought it was just an artsy film about a weird kid who becomes friends with a weird old woman. Little did I know it was a love story- A dark romantic comedy with unsettling, inspiring, and perfectly executed details. Really, I’m just looking for an excuse to watch it again.

Screen-shot-2011-05-22-at-7.04.49-PM

Screen-shot-2011-05-22-at-7.10.03-PM

Screen-shot-2011-05-22-at-7.15.52-PM

I guess I should give a disclaimer that if you are sensitive about death, weirded out by the prospect of a love affair between a young man and old woman, then this film might not be for you. But if you are interested in a movie that surprises and inspires, in a beautifully restrained way, then I highly recommend Harold and Maude. There’s really nothing more to say, I suppose. I just loved it.

Screen-shot-2011-05-23-at-12.50.29-AM

Screen-shot-2011-05-23-at-1.03.56-AM

1. Becky W says:

How weird, I just saw this for the first time last Friday. It really is amazing. How great are her outfits, and more to the point – what a great character and a stunning actress. Beautiful & moving film. (PS, I think you should do an outfit post inspired by her!).

2. Stef says:

Such an excellent film. Harakiri!

3. Oh my goosenest what a great film. I love cat stevens!
    wonderful choice. wonderful choice.
    anna

4. grace says:

one of my top 5! such a sweet and inspiring story! I have a passion for dark movies.
    so so good. I’ve been thinking of using this film for my next installment in my CineStyle series on my blog.
    I’ve done Royal Tenenbaums and Pretty in Pink – Harold & Maude is next!?!
    Check it out here if you want: http://rosemaryx.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/cinestyle-the-royal-tenenbaums/
    -grace

5. April says:

This is one of my favorite movies. I need to watch it again.

6. jess o. says:

oh i just love this movie and you have pointed out how it has been way too long since i have watched it ;)

7. zelina says:

well done Mandi. I’ve never seen this i’ll have to check it out!

8. rae says:

i love that movie! my grandparents actually loaned me a copy. it’s lovely.

9. Heather says:

Harold and Maude is one of my FAVORITES! I love it so much! The first time I saw it was in a personal communications class in college. Then I made all my friends watch it over and over again with me. It’s so beautiful and the Cat Stevens soundtrack is perfection!

10. Hector says:

It’s a beautiful movie. Growing up in San Francisco, it was even more remarkable to me because I was able to recognize much of the Bay Area before I was born.

11. Briana says:

One of my faves! This makes me want to watch it again and again :)

12. Sue says:

Excellent film! A fave of mine for years!

13. Rachel says:

Oh, I love Harold and Maude! I watched it the first time about 12ish years ago in college. Dang. I’m old.
    Anyway, Maude rocks my socks. One of my most favorite movie characters of all time.

14. Lyndsee says:

I just watched this movie on netflix. I rather enjoyed it.

15. shelby h.k. says:

ughhh i loved this movie. so good! i saw it in college after i realized a bar downtown was named for the film…[maude’s].
    xx

16. Kim says:

been a favourite of mine for years.

17. And those qualities are actually the makings of a film that’ll definitely leave impressions. Deal with an uneasy topic or two, present them on the screen in a well-executed way, avoid boredom or grisly details, and you’ll have a memorable movie. It’s not as if we came to see something mundane about death or an unlikely romance. Harold and Maude really stirs the interest of the curious.

18. Marie says:

Again, this film is TOPS on my list!
    I adore your blog!

19. Sara says:

I’ve always loved this movie. Not exactly sure what it is about it but I do adore it.