Movie Mondays: I Capture the Castle

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 6.30.38 PM

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 6.28.49 PM

I often complain that there are not even movie adaptations of Jane Austen classics for me to watch when I’m in a hopelessly romantic mood. So I was delighted that I Capture the Castle pretty much fit this genre to a T, although taking place in the 1930’s. Even better, if you ask me!

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 4.03.25 PM

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 6.29.15 PM

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 6.30.16 PM

I’ve heard this movie described as a bit of a non-love story, although I really don’t want to give too much away here, so I’ll just let you know the basics of the story unfolds.

Two young ladies live with their eccentric family in a castle that their father started renting out after he wrote a best selling novel, claiming it would bring him the inspiration he needed to write another. Ten years later, and no second novel, the family is just trying to survive, without being evicted from the castle.

While traveling through, the landlord’s American sons get stuck in the mud outside of the castle. The girls are excited to have some young men around, though thoroughly embarrassed of their eccentric and rather strange living circumstances.

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 9.03.13 PM

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 7.28.10 PM

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 6.58.55 PM

The eldest daughter begins to make a bit of a fool of herself trying to charm one of the sons into falling for her, hoping that she can rescue her dismal circumstances through marriage to a rich American boy.

The story evolves through a frustrating circle of affections, heart breaks, and lots of change for both of the families. It’s a beautiful film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The perfect movie to kick off Spring, I think!

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 7.00.43 PM

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 9.05.59 PM

Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 9.02.14 PM

1. Tish says:

I first saw this movie years ago and I’ve watched it many times. I love it! It’s such a good ‘non-love’ story, as you put it. Plus, the 39’s fashion. Gorgeous. The castle. Gorgeous. Rose Byrne. Gorgeous.
    I love this crazy little story. Glad you shared it!

2. Maria says:

The movie was fun but the book is awesome!

3. Kayla says:

Ah! I just added this movie to my Netflix que! I can’t wait to watch it! The movie sounds fantastic, and the wardrobe is an added bonous! I am also hoping to read the book as soon as I can get my hands on a copy! Thanks for the review!

4. I LOVE this movie! I watched it over the Winter and it was the perfect cure for my Spring thoughts. I love the fashion, love the story, love the entire set. I kind of just want to hop into it and live there! I haven’t read the book yet but it’s on my library queue…for whenever I finish all the other books I have waiting in my reading pile!

5. Phara says:

That story sounds great, it’s going on my “movies to see” list! :)
    X

6. Erica says:

I’d never heard of this movie so I just reserved it at the library. I really look forward to your Movie Monday posts and have been getting some new movies in my life thanks to you!

7. Erin says:

Putting this on my netflix queue! Thanks for this, I totally love Jane Austen adaptations. I have watched them all!

8. Jenni says:

You should read the book–it’s a MILLION times better. Of course, maybe I just think that because I read the book before I saw the movie… :D

9. this sounds like it would be right up my alley, thanks for posting about it

10. Shannon says:

Please tell me you have watched Downto Abbey. It is amazing! So reminded me of Sense and Sensibility, can’t wait for season 2

11. .amanda. says:

My mother in law gave me this book years ago as a Christmas gift. When the movie came out, and none of my friends were available, I actually went to go see it alone! [I was that excited]
    Another great movie post…

12. Suzanne says:

Mandi,
    I’m a reader of yours who has never commented before! :) But I thought you should know that per your recommendation I reserved this movie at the library.. & finally watched it last night. Adorable! Love the styling, fashion, fabrics, & setting. I’m gonna have to pay more attention to your Movie Mondays I think! Maybe I’ll even post a review of it on my blog too..
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Suzanne