Stress Relief in the Wintertime

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-1

Lately, I’ve been struggling with anxiety more than I ever have in the past twenty-five years. In the good old days, I used to create more art, too. So, I figured I would make a little collagey book, kind of like a journal, and in it, explore my anxiety and ways that I can overcome it.

Here it is, size 6.5″x8″, and made from photos, vintage magazine clippings, and a little extra fun stuff like paint, fabric, and tape.

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-2

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-3

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-4

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-5

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-6

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-7

IMG_3389

Anxiety-relief-mini-album-collage-art-10

1. Hannah B. says:

That is just plain *gorgeous,* Mandi!
    What a great way to overcome the winter blues :)

2. Becky says:

I love your scrap-booking style. You’ve just inspired me to try it again. I love the collage aspects particularly.

3. I LOVE this. I’ve been getting a bit anxious and stressed out lately myself…and even though I make things for others as my main job, I really REALLY have to remind myself to make something for me once in awhile. At the first of the year I decided that weekends and evenings will be devoted to ‘me-projects’ and I really think it’s helping me relax a bit!
    Your book there is giving me inspiration to pull out my fabric stash and perhaps get to know my sewing machine… :)

4. Becky says:

I am sorry to hear that you have been so anxious lately but I think this is one of the best uses of scrap-booking I have seen in a long time! I really, really do find beauty in the creativity we explore as we heal. In my times of anxiety, I make paper cranes! Lovely post, thank-you.

5. I love this! I struggle with anxiety & SAD every year and I have to try really hard to keep making art. <3

6. Moorea Seal says:

I love this.
    I’ve been experiencing a lot of anxiety and depression lately too, and it feels unjustified. well, i am hyper busy, but i feel guilty feeling sad when the busy-ness is from good things. this was really inspiring. I am starting a new scrapbook this week to get my relaxed creative juices going again, outside of my creative work world :)
    xo Moorea

7. Jane says:

I love this journal! The best way to beat anxiety (at least for me) is to write about things or express myself creatively. Hope you feel better soon!

8. Tashrin says:

I’m sorry to hear of your anxiety Mandi. hope creating this beautiful piece has helped relieve it to some extent. I wish I could let out my anxiety in a manner as creative as this. I have always been an admirer of scrap-booking as an art and you make some of the most beautiful ones I have seen.
    Love
    Tashrin from Toronto, Canada

9. Patty says:

This came out wonderful Mandi!! I love how you turned it into a therapy project to help you deal with your anxiety. Just beautiful:)

10. Kindsey says:

This is seriously amazing.! I wish you could scan the spreads and print them onto leather and make them into wallets! Those would be the bomb! Haha but I guess your personal photos on wallets might be weird. ;) but walllets aside the books fantastic!

11. i have also been feeling super anxious lately & have heard similar stories from my sister & some other girlfriends…something must be going around. boo. but i love your little book! so inspiring & such a productive way to deal with anxiety + stress! thanks for sharing :)

12. Amy Morby says:

This is absolutely stunning. I suffer from anxiety, too, and it’s definitely NOT awesome. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It’s so beautiful and inspiring. I ought to try something similar for my stress relief!

13. Anne says:

Wow, that’s really cute. #5 and 6 are my favorites. You make me want to take more photos of the people I love and make a little book.

14. Mireille says:

Oh Amanda… it’s just beautiful! I love it! I wish I would be able to create such a sketchbook… an art’s piece! Take care… Mireille

15. Phara says:

Wow, this looks so brilliant! I love the fabric and stitching bits, just gives it that little extra!
    X

16. Oooh – it’s gorgeous!! :) I *love* all the stitching! And here’s to future stress-free days – journals are so therapeutic, aren’t they? :)

17. Karen Beth says:

This is amazing… I think I might drag out some supplies and make a journal too. Thanks for the inspiration!

18. jeny says:

It looks soft and tactile. I think these are some of the best kind of projects to make because people want to pick them up and look through them and all the bits & bops are just as fun to adhere.
    I suffer from anxiety as well. It is always worse during season changes. I have a couple of coping mechanisms that work for me. The best thing sounds the silliest, but I quietly tell myself this, “I am not afraid of you.” I feel totally weird and strange for admitting this in a blog comment section, but it is the one thing that usually saves me from spiraling out of control. Since you know that is what makes an attack go from manageable to outrageous. I really hope you start to feel better.

19. L'Erin says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful inspiration!!!

20. katie licht says:

i keep coming back to look at this because i like it so much! making something is such a great way to ease anxiety. and you get something beautiful out of it too, double win!

21. so inspiring, thank you!

22. racheldenbow says:

Beautiful. Absolutely perfect. I think it’s been one of those things that has taken a back seat over here, too. Maybe it’s time to start digging out the found papers again!
    Thanks for your comment on my post about feeling overwhelmed a few weeks back. I hope for many more peaceful, calm hearted days on the way to spring.

23. Krysti says:

This is beautiful… soooo inspiring! I totally wanna try this out!

24. hisham says:

I absolutely love this “journal” :)))) must be fun creating it, not talking about listing in it :)

25. lilith says:

pretty effective? I did this last summer and it worked well:)

26. rose says:

i hope you’re feeling a little better :) x

27. Rachel says:

Your collage/journal is beautiful!

28. sophie says:

love this print it would be perfect in my room

29. HI Mandi! This article is kind of a revelation to me! yeay! I’ve been writing a personal diary since I was 13 (looads of note books) and a couple of days ago i was wondering how i could push my writing inspiration up to something new… here in France I don’t think that art journal is a very developed practice BUT what i’ve just seen on your blog is so inspiring I really feel doing the same (well not really the same but you understand obviously!)
    Did you decorate your school diaries when you were a teenager? I did and in a way it reminds me of that. Thank you again and bonne continuation!
    Bisous! :)