Movie Mondays: Pretty in Pink

Pretty in Pink 7

Sometimes when you’re feeling blue, the best remedy is a smart, romantic teen drama- ? la John Hughes. Pretty in Pink stars Molly Ringwald (duh!) as Andie, a smart cookie with plenty of style too. Way too much of an individual to fit in at her high school.

Pretty in Pink 5

Pretty in Pink

She works at a record shop and spends most of her time with her childhood best friend, a charismatic and rather obnoxious young fellow who goes by the name “Duckie.” Duckie happens to be in love with Andie, but she’s too busy dreaming in her own little world to pay much attention to her doting friend.

Pretty in Pink 2

Pretty in Pink 8

While working at a record shop, Andie begins a flirtation with Blane, a charming rich kid from her school. Conflicted as to whether or not she could hit it off with someone from the other side of the tracks, she continues to make waves with Blane’s friends, while simultaneously hoping he will ask her to prom.

Pretty in Pink 4

Pretty in Pink 6

Ah, remember the days of waiting by the phone for your crush to call? Wishing to be your own person, but worrying what others might think? It’s terribly fun watching Andie go through all of these outsider-high school feelings that I remember, and falling in love along the way. A perfect movie for a Valentine’s Day evening at home!

Pretty in Pink 3

1. Sarah says:

This is totally one of my top five favourite movies ever!!! I’m going to have to dig out my DVD and watch it sometime this week for sure. :)

2. Cheryl says:

I used to watch this one all the time when I was little.

3. patty says:

Great pick:). Everyone loves a good teen eighties movie, especially a John Hughes. Happy Valentines Mandi!

4. grace says:

one of my all time favorites! I still remember the first time i saw it in the theaters in 4th grade for my friends b-day! I was so in love with Duckie!
    oh and this is the best soundtrack out there in my book!

5. Portia says:

My fave brat pack film. (Plus she’s a redhead so I was and still am totally biased!) We still quote from this!! “Blane? His name is Blane?!”…lol!
    Px

6. futurelint says:

Annie Potts as Iona is my favorite part of this movie! I swore I was going to be her when I grew up and live over a record shop! Hmm, she might be to blame for why I dress a bit nuts some days!

7. Kamaile says:

Love it!

8. Becca says:

This is one of my absolute favourite movies!!

9. andrea says:

You always pick great movies… I will have to check this one out. :)

10. Ali Marla says:

one of my all time favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it!!!

11. chelsea says:

these movies always remind me of my childhood.
    they’re SO sweet!
    happy v-day.
    Ps, i have a give a way on my blog. you should stop by!

12. sandra says:

one of my favorite movies!
    i have this on vhs, dvd and it’s on my dvr right now :)

13. Aahhh my favorite movie! Well, it’s tied with Edward Scissorhands. My favorite part is when Ducky slides into the record shop and lips syncs to Otis Redding.
    Good choice, good choice

14. Diane B. says:

i’m a huge john hughes fan. love pretty in pink! i’ve probably seen that movie more times than i’d like to admit! i can pretty much quote the entire 16 candles movie. LOL

15. Becky says:

This is funny, I was talking about this film the other day and telling my husband it was the first time I related to a character in a movie. I first saw it when I was 14 and have watched it about 6000 times since. I think I can recite every line. I just love it. And I *always* cry at the end.

16. Kaitlyn says:

pretty in pink is one of my all time favorite movies :)

17. Lindsay says:

Classic!! I loveee Duckie

18. I’ve always been so mad at how that dress was altered because it was perfect as it was!!!!!! However, this movie is amazing and I love it.

19. Kayla says:

Ah! I love this movie! It is definitely one of my favorites! Such a great movie! I love Duckie! After this recap I am definitely going to watch this again asap!

20. Blane will always have a permanent place in my fantasies… swoooon. I love Duckie too, but Andrew McCarthy made me weak in the knees.
    P.S. I definitely wish we lived in the same town… imagine the amazing shenanigans we’d get up to!

21. I LOOOOVE this movie!! Oddly enough I love all of Molly Ringwald’s movies. I actually recently watched this movie, as I have done a million times before, and it sparks serious memories from high school. It’s a true pick me up when feeling dull or bored…GREAT CHOICE!!! thanks for sharing!!!

22. Eivom Lieon says:

great post! this was my favorite movie!!!