Danielle of Sometimes Sweet

Danielle Sometimes Sweet Recipes

Resolution #14:
Try new recipes.
Guest Blog post by Danielle

Hi Here’s Looking at Me, Kid readers, Danielle here, from Sometimes Sweet (http://sometimessweet.blogspot.com)! I’m ecstatic to be sharing an incredibly healthy, extremely easy, and super fun recipe with all of you today.  I remember before I jumped in and actually prepared spaghetti squash myself I would see this large veggie in the produce aisle and feel a little intimidated.  I’d heard a lot about it, but the idea of a vegetable looking and tasting like pasta- how on earth would I achieve that?!  Luckily, this veggie is incredibly simple to prepare and takes less than an hour to put this delicious, nutritious meal on your table. And what better way to start the new year than with a new healthy recipe to add to your arsenal of dishes?

Intro

1) Purchase a spaghetti squash from your local grocer- you’lre looking for a squash that feels heavy for its size and one that has no cuts or bruises on the outside.

2) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is heating up, prepare your squash by cutting it in half, length wise.

3) Remove all of the seeds from each side of the squash with your hands.  Don’t be afraid to get in there, but be careful not to scrape too much off of the sides of the squash in your de-seeding efforts; be gentle.  And if you’d like, you can even roast the seeds in the same way you’d roast pumpkin seeds!

4) Place the squash, cut side up, on a tin-foiled baking sheet.  Add a pinch each of sea salt and pepperif you’d like. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until the squash is slightly browned, as shown in the last photo in the sequence below.

You can also pre-season the squash with butter, brown sugar, or anything else you’d like, but for the sake of staying as healthy as possible I chose not to.  There are many healthy pre-seasoning variations too- everything from olive oil and oregano to garlic and basil- so don’t be afraid to experiment!  And just so you know, a four-ounce serving of spaghetti squash has only 37 calories! Amazing.

5) Remove the cooked squash from the oven and scrape the sides with a fork.  The “meat” of the squash should be easily scraped off and resemble spaghetti!

6) Place in a bowl, and cover with sauce of your choice…and enjoy your incredibly healthy meal

1. Shelby says:

My grandma just made something similar with spaghetti squash and she just microwaved the squash! it was still just as good too!

2. mandy says:

i am definitely going to try this!! looks so yummy!

3. Ashley says:

just have to say that i’m loving this blog and all the wicked resolutions. beautiful.

4. olivia says:

i just tried this for the first time a few weeks ago – my boyfriend’s mum tried it as an experiment and it was delicious! this post has served as a reminder to buy one next time i’m shopping & try it for myself. thanks danielle!

5. Jill says:

This is a favorite, easy go to for me. Love it! Spaghetti squash is so not “squashy” in taste – only just a slight hint of sweetness – unlike other varieties.

6. Jeanee says:

OMG! This is my resolution and I bought spaghetti squash in Monday! What a freaky consequence ^.^

7. Nessa says:

It even tastes like pasta? I’m so skeptical that I’ll probably have to try it. It looks so interesting.

8. racheldenbow says:

I’ve been wanting to try this since college! Thanks for the step-by-step. ;)

9. Cheryl says:

I am really excited to try this.

10. xoxo nicole says:

mmm, i LOVE this!! my grandma has been making it forever. she said she learned it from weight watchers about 30 years ago!

11. Mandi says:

I’ve got to say, Danielle, I have been wanting to try this since I tasted a delicious vegan meal at The Greenhouse Tavern (a local sustainably designed and maintained restaurant in Cleveland), but didn’t know where to begin. For instance… what does a spaghetti squash look like? haha Anyways, thanks for the confidence and for the excellent contribution to the Catching Confetti series!!

12. Jacob makes this all the time! i love it better than pasta!!!!
    I am loving your feature here! so fun!
    xo
    B

13. maria says:

YUM looks preeeettty amazing!

14. Michaela says:

This looks amazing. I’m going to try it this week. I’m just loving this resolution series. Finding so many more blogs to follow and new ideas to try out. Thanks!

15. this is so unique!! Wow! I really would love to try this.

16. Jiji says:

This post inspired me to go to the grocery store and pick up a spaghetti sqqash, I can’t wait to make this!

17. Sarah says:

This looks DELICIOUS! Mmmm, must try. I hope I can find spaghetti squash here in GA this time of year! Thanks for sharing!

18. Lydia says:

I tried this this afternoon for the first time, compliments of the beautiful Amanda Graber Johnson, and I must say that, though she gave me MUCH too hefty a portion, it kind of changed my life.