Miss James of Bleubird Vintage

James-thrift-store-3Resolution #10
Be More Thrifty.
Guest Blog post by James

Hello dearies! my name is miss james and i run bleubirdvintage.com and write the bleubird blog. Iwanted to talk a bit about being more thrifty and share a few of my favorite finds and let you in on a few of my thrifting secrets.

James thrift store 1

Most of the things in my home and wardrobe i have found in a thrift store. I love to hunt for vintage pieces to bring into my home. i look for furniture, art, dishes, throw pillows, bedding, quilts and knick knacks to make my home a unique place to live.

James thrift store 2

I thrift several times a week. It's my favorite thing to do besides being a mom. Sometimes I find a cart ful of pre-loved goodies and other times I walk out empty handed. I find the whole experience very therapeutic. You can find some real gems for mere pennies if you just take the time to look for them.

James thrift store 4

My top 5  thrifting secrets…

1. Hit the shops early, while most people are at work. That way the crowds are few and the shelves & racks are freshly stocked.
  2. Go often! I go several times per week.
  3. Make a list of things you are looking for. (I have one on my phone to reference.)
  4. Most thrift stores run daily specials and certain departments will be on sale. Like the salvation army has 50% off all clothing on wednesdays!
  5. Scope the shoes… I have found some of my very favorite shoes for under three bucks at the thrift. it sure beats buying new ones that are often similar styles that can cost over $100. Also check the little boys section. I find some of the cutest stuff there from vintage tee shirts to cute fitted blazers.

James thrift store 5

My closets are filled with vintage clothes that I've thrifted over the years and I have a vintage coat collection that most would kill for. It is very rare that i'm not wearing head to toe vintage. I love it because I know that no one will have the exact same outfit as mine and I love to see just how little I can spend on an outfit. It's kind of like a little game I play with myself.

James thrift store 6

This post was so much fun to write. Thank you to the lovely mandi for having me. Also, this was a great introduction to a new weekly thrifting post T am writing over on my blog where I will be posting more of my thrifting finds and tips. Thanks again & happy new year everyone!

xo, James

1. Yay! I love James and her blog – these are super great tips! I’d like to be more thrifty in 2011, too!

2. A lovely post! Thanks James and thank you so much Mandy, this project is so inspiring.
    Have a great day!
    Ale

3. Yay! Very, very inspiring!

4. Anonymous says:

I just adore Miss James and her beautiful family! I will definitely be following these tips when thrifting this weekend.
    And, thank you, Mandi. Because of inspirational posts featured on your blog, I have discovered more lovely bloggers to follow.

5. Sasha says:

Definitely something I plan to do more of this year.

6. maritaBliss says:

Inspiring thrift ideas, I wish there were more thrift stores around were I live !

7. bargain bex says:

i’m always looking for the best bargain/deal in town (hence my blog name) and miss james’ thrift tips are moving to #1 on my shopping to-do list!
    bex.
    p.s. i am an avid fan of the bleubird blog and all of james’ outfits … so much so … i even did a spotlight feature all about her earlier this week.

8. Ohh! I adore your blog so much! This post is the best! I go heaps of times a week too and it is a big stress reliever. You can just take your mind off everything and hunt! my cart is also stacked very high (usually within ten minutes of being there!)
    I can’t wait until I have my own home to thrift for. I can’t hang anything up at this one and it is killing me!
    Ayesha x

9. Kaitlyn says:

love this advice! thanks!

10. andrea says:

Great guest post! thanks for letting us in on your thrift store trip.

11. Phara says:

Love this! So great to know there are more poeple out there who often dress head to toe in vintage pices. I find it very therapeutic too!
    X

12. Katie says:

Great post! I’m so inspired to add more thrifty finds to my wardrobe.

13. Katherine says:

Great post! I love reading James’ blog and have followed her shop since I found her on ebay a few years ago. I thrift often as well and have found some AMAZING things to add to my collection (including an unbelievable Chado Ralph Rucci cocktail dress for $9!!!). It’s a great way to add unique and special items to your collection. I’m intrigued and would like to see more of her coat collection. I <3 coats! :-)

14. Lucy says:

so inspiring – yay for thrifting! i plan on doing a lot of this this year

15. Perl says:

I love vintage clothes and used to go to thrift stores quite often. Now I am terrified of getting bed bugs.
    How do you avoid them when thrifting so much?

16. Carol says:

great post! It makes me miss having a thrift store nearby though!

17. Phuong says:

thank you for the great post!

18. Bette says:

LOVE THIS POST!!!! I have a blog about thrift store fashion as well, mostly about the things I find I can’t believe actually exsist!!! (real whoa-my-goodness moments) But also tips, knock-out thrift stores all over the country!
    Don’t be afraid of bed-bugs!!! Be afraid of wearing the same thing as the girl next to you!!!! Risky shopping, and risk-taking dress!!! (they go hand in hand!)
    Please check it out!!!
    muah!

19. My girl would be envious of you! LOL! You’re vintage stuff would fascinate her. She’s also fond of using and collecting vintage clothes, but she doesn’t have enough time to go to thrift stores. I would still share those tips to her, though. Those might be the only thing she needs to be inspired! :D