Movie Monday- Me Without You

Screen shot 2010-12-12 at 11.50.58 PM

Me Without You is a movie I’ve had in my Netflix instant queue for a while, waiting for a date night with myself to finally sit down and watch it. I didn’t expect the emotional response the film evoked, and felt a bit moody afterwards.

The story follows the relationship of two very different girls from very different families. One of the girls comes from a traditional Jewish family, while the other experiences the now again love of a barely there father and a weird relationship with her glamorous and flighty mother.

Screen shot 2010-12-12 at 11.53.58 PM

Screen shot 2010-12-13 at 1.01.31 AM

The girls experience great highs and horrible lows together, taking you along for the emotional journey. Michelle Williams plays the more low key trustworthy friend who is often taken advantage of by the prettier more outgoing girl. It’s really sad to see her miss out on opportunities because she is living in the shadows of her friend.

Screen shot 2010-12-13 at 1.06.00 AM

Screen shot 2010-12-13 at 12.20.14 AM

The movie spans thirty years and after everything is over, you feel like you’ve gotten to know the girls so well, as they have loved and lost, overcome and fallen down, betrayed and even gone their separate ways.

I will say, there is quite a bit of sex and even some drug use in this movie. It’s pretty raw and real, which is why I loved the film so much.

Screen shot 2010-12-13 at 12.31.31 AM

Screen shot 2010-12-13 at 12.32.01 AM

Screen shot 2010-12-13 at 12.31.39 AM

1. Lauren says:

This looks like a brilliant movie.

2. Jessie says:

It seems so familiar…I’ll need to check it out.

3. Sana says:

Thank you very much for sharing, I’ll add it to the list of films I need to get around to watching!

4. amanda says:

Oh. I have the in my queue as well. NOW I have to have some me-time and watch it. treat myself:)

5. jac says:

what a great film. i just read an interview with michelle williams tonight, and thought of this movie again. and lo and behold, you posted about it!
    happy new year’s!

6. Sue says:

Excellent film! May have to view it again soon.

7. Zoe says:

Oh Yes…an excellent film! I have in my DVD collection, must get it out and re-watch! :)
    Zoe

8. arnique says:

Absolutely one of my favourite movies. After watching it, I knew for certain that Michelle Williams is the best American actress of her generation. Makes me cry buckets every time.
    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

9. stacie says:

Thank you so much for that recommendation!!! The movie was in the Netflix instant play and I just watched it. :)))

10. Bob Bengtsson says:

I was attracted to watching it because I am a fan of British film. Being a man, the beginning nearly killed it for me. But I stuck it out till they became teenagers and then the film really took off for me. Brilliant is the only word for it, and the music was perfect reflection of the times. Wonderful ending. Only wish it was me riding away with her in the back of the bus. I rank it in my top ten films, ever!

11. Mohammed says:

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know
    how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates unique, google friendly posts in seconds, just type in google – laranitas free content source